Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2019, 07:47 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 8224 View Post
Hi
I grew up in East Rogers park and in the 80 and 90 it was a rough area then.But we never had the issues with shootings like it is today. Gangs then never mess you and sometimes they help you. I can't believe what happen to my old neighborhood violence now even spreading West which was always nice area. I think cause of the prices in rent and kicking people out of certain areas is one of the root cause of this outburst of violence, people always say that rogers park always been a tough area true it has but nothing like this .
Nice. You bumped a three year old thread to talk about an outburst? Smell a troll here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 10:33 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 8224 View Post
Hi
I grew up in East Rogers park and in the 80 and 90 it was a rough area then.But we never had the issues with shootings like it is today. Gangs then never mess you and sometimes they help you. I can't believe what happen to my old neighborhood violence now even spreading West which was always nice area. I think cause of the prices in rent and kicking people out of certain areas is one of the root cause of this outburst of violence, people always say that rogers park always been a tough area true it has but nothing like this .
There is no evidence to suggest that crime in Rogers Park has increased since the '80s and '90s. In fact, the data show the opposite.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:35 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
There is no evidence to suggest that crime in Rogers Park has increased since the '80s and '90s. In fact, the data show the opposite.
I just moved to Rogers Park, right off Howard on the lake side. It's nice, clean, quiet and beautiful here. I work second shift and take transit. I never feel unsafe walking at home late at night. I looked at the Chicago PD clear made before moving here. There were no incidents and so far none since I have been here.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:55 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times
I had a lot of friends in Rogers Park in the late 60's, early 70s and it was fine. The area around Howard Street L was seedy. My friend's brother had a small apartment on Juneway Terrace we used to visit without a care. We also frequented a restaurant called "La Choza" for Mexican food. No problems. They actually lived in West Rogers Park which was an upscale Jewish area, the friends father was an attorney. I would go to the Gold Coin as well and Ashkenaz deli. Pekin House for Chinese food, and Morse Avenue beach. Never a problem.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:28 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,517,065 times
Reading this makes me realize I miss The Big Pit and that I may have to take a run to the Fish Keg!

Old 07-01-2019, 11:05 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,890,118 times
I lived in Rogers Park for 2001-02. Perfectly safe at all times. lots of families. also, lots of registered sex offenders. In spite of that I felt safe at all hours. I haven't been back since so maybe any downhill hit after I left the state

Old 07-01-2019, 04:51 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,581,430 times
It's a shame that the two or so blocks on Eastlake Terrace, has some beautiful architectured apartment buildings, but i hear it is not safe there. Eastlake Terrace is between Howard and Juneway.

Is there much crime there? Its so beautiful those apartment buildings.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:27 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,756,429 times
In my memory, having had some relatives that used to live there, I noted it was starting to slide downward in the 70's and certainly by the mid-late 70's had fallen off a cliff as so many other areas had back then.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:29 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I lived in Rogers Park north of Howard in the early seventies. It was bad even then. There were buildings being abandoned, shootings, a sleazy pool hall and a pawn shop. I can even remember one notorious beating administered by a member of a Polish gang.

So things have been bad for at least 40 years.
Oh, Manigault. You delight me in a manner that sounds like a backhanded compliment but is truly genuine: Sometimes you remind me of my mother's friends (and my mother), with that comfortable half-smile as you prescribe solutions to problems only so that you can really twist that knife into Nancy this week.

Brava.

Rogers Park was never "prime real estate". Although it's hardly "bad" today; Loyola University is there, and it's an extremely diverse area with low crime. It's mostly just one of those... half-lived in areas that serve to house a transient population (students, academics, visiting scholars, etc).

Old 07-08-2019, 01:02 AM

1,080 posts, read 836,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Nice. You bumped a three year old thread to talk about an outburst? Smell a troll here.
No, s/he bumped a *five* year old thread, not three.

I smell a troll, too, but if modmin trends are consistent, the troll will be allowed to remain while you and I will be labeled as trolls for pointing it out, by some rando extremely bored person in Indiana who inexplicably oversees the Chicago forum.

It would be nice if there could be some sort of policy regarding who is allowed to bump ancient zombie threads and after how long. Perhaps only senior members, and only up to a year or two after the last post?

As for Rogers Park, I can't speak for what it was like in the 70's, 80's, or 90's, but I've never viewed it as a bad place in the 2000's. I tend to prefer the neighborhoods that are a little grittier around the edges than Lincoln Park / Lakeview / Wicker Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago