Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 05:22 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,254,543 times

Advertisements

TBideon, yes, certainly anytime I've driven through West Ridge, and I've seen many of the Jewish faith ( I believe they are orthodox Jewish). I'm spent more time in West Ridge than Rogers Park. But they both seem very diverse, just with a bit difference in the groups that make up the diversity. I'm a fan of both, that said.- Master Jay in Milwaukee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 01:42 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Hiruko isn't that wrong. West Ridge was more so the Jewish area. If you look at Google Map now they have it marked as "Little India".....how interesting. Indeed there remains a few solid Jewish congregations there. I have relatives in the Jewish section of Rosehill Cemetary as well. Plenty of memories but as I say, that's all they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
West Ridge still has a pretty large Jewish community.
Yep. I lived on Rosemont & Western Ave in 2012. Basically right on Devon.
I still visit often, one of my friends lives off Devon.

West Ridge goes up to Howard Ave. There is still a lot of Jewish people out and about and businesses throughout.

There are a few Jewish businesses and residents in Rogers Park itself, but much more in West Ridge, I believe.

Old 11-16-2019, 01:54 PM

885 posts, read 624,911 times
I read a book which is titled 'The Jews of Chicago.' The author is Irving Cutler. In this book, Prof. Cutler profiles current and former Jewish neighborhoods in Chicago and the suburbs.

The section concerning Rogers Park stated that the Jewish population there started to decline in large numbers in the 1970s. He wrote that by the end of that decade, there were not many Jewish households in Rogers Park with school-aged children.

I don't think that the author necessarily equated the decline of Rogers Park and a rise in crime there, to the movement of the Jews out of the neighborhood.

Irish Catholics, who were also numerous in Rogers Park, seemed to remain in Rogers Park in large numbers after the departure of their Jewish neighbors.

Old 11-16-2019, 07:48 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
Interestingly enough however what that author would no doubt have mentioned is that with the departure of the Jewish populations in Jeffrey Manor, South Shore and Lawndale for example sure did lead to denigration of those areas. Just sayin......

Old 11-19-2019, 11:08 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Well, is Rogers Park gentrifying now? I went through it a few years ago on a visit to Chicago, and it actually looked pretty prosperous, in certain areas..

Old 11-20-2019, 12:08 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Well, is Rogers Park gentrifying now? I went through it a few years ago on a visit to Chicago, and it actually looked pretty prosperous, in certain areas..
Yes. There are hotspots around Loyola and Evanston-Chicago border, in particular.

Old 07-23-2020, 01:08 AM

1 posts, read 586 times
Have you seen how hip Howard Street is now? Just east of the el on the south side of the street near where the Howard Theater was, is a coffee shop where people work with their laptops all day. On the Evanston side, you wouldn't believe what it is like if you haven't been there lately. Head down Howard to around Damen. Across the street you will find live theater. Then there's the Peckish Pig, a fairly upscale restaurant with a lovely beer garden out back. They have live music some nights. Next door there's a bar that attracts young professionals. Farther west is Good to Go, a gorgeous Jamaican restaurant with live music that was a hole in the wall before it moved from the Chicago side to this new building on the Evanston side of Howard Street. The Amazing Kale Burger (I know, right? Haha) is a lunch spot. East of Clark there's a mall with a Jewel, UPS store, and a Gamespot. It's so/so. Where Scotty's restaurant used to be. There are a few newer and some brand new apartment buildings with a lot of young professional looking people. My guess is Evanston got so built up that this was the only place to expand. It's very nice. I lived there until I moved to Uptown, which I LOVE! Way west on Howard, West Rogers Park between California and McCormick but on the Evanston side is a Jewel that is mostly Kosher that caters to Hasidic Jewish people. Of course now, what with COVID, I hope these wonderful places are able to stay in business.

Old 07-23-2020, 04:59 AM

I have NOT seen how hip Howard is now. I'm glad to hear it, though. And I agree, I hope this Covid situation doesn't cause too many issues for the store owners!.. Thank you for sharing!

Old 08-01-2020, 03:35 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
UsAll, I await responses to your question. Because I happen to be a huge fan of Skokie, and have been for several years. From everything I've seen and experienced, it is clean and safe!- Master Jay in Milwaukee
Skokie is safe, but it has a doggedly mid-century, middle-middle class feel. It is gentrifying *very* slowly, as young people priced out of Evanston and the North Shore put down roots. It would gentrify faster if it were older, due to the very favorable location, but the 1950s houses don't seem to be worth fixing up but are worth too much to tear down and replace with nicer housing. The best area is south of Golf Road between McCormick and Crawford and extending almost or maybe all the way to Dempster. It is often called Evanston-Skokie.

Downtown Skokie also has potential.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:39 AM

Larry Siegel, sadly Sweetie Pies and Marges Flowers, both on the same block, closed in the last year. I heard the construction on the corner of Oakton and Niles Center is on hold.... But otherwise, yes, I'm a Skokie fan..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago