Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 09:01 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groggy23 View Post
Is it? Seems a bit farther. Either way it looks like we are just going to Uber it, just dissapointed UberX is not available from ORD.
You won't have any problem getting a cab on the street there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 08:35 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The algorithm that google uses still has some "block" against "back tracking" -- the walk from Clark/Lake is North while the rest of the trip has been "SW" and that is why it gives crummy directions...

There are lots of reasons to prefer getting off Clark/ Lake -- shorter walk, nicer shops / eating spots, good view of the river.

Sometimes you gotta outta smart the machine!
True, dat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
You won't have any problem getting a cab on the street there.
Also true, dat.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:47 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
There is no good reason to walk that far!
Spoken like a true suburbanite. That's a walk of half a mile to a mile, depending on where he's going in River North. (The OP is surely well aware of the distance, because, you know, internet and stuff.) For most of us, there's no good reason NOT to walk that far. That's nothing.

I agree with those saying it isn't the most scenic walk, however.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
"Only have a mile to walk" wow... I wish I had your energy
Wow. Really, people? One freaking mile? I'm an out-of-shape middle-aged man, and even I don't consider that to be a long walk requiring "energy." Unless one has an injury or physical disability, this shouldn't be an issue.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Is this all some kind of joke? Take a cab? A bus? It's gotta be less than half a mile from Grand Blue to River North. Scenic?? It's like three blocks, who cares!
This seemed like the obvious response to me, too, but apparently others view it differently, for reasons I'm not grasping.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:59 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Get real...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Wow. Really, people? One freaking mile? I'm an out-of-shape middle-aged man, and even I don't consider that to be a long walk requiring "energy." Unless one has an injury or physical disability, this shouldn't be an issue.
It is one thing to "hoof it" from even Union Station to North Michigan Ave with a briefcase through nice clean walkable parts of the Loop that might be SEVERAL miles lined with interesting shops and such than to plod along the quasi-industrial areas west of River North with all the luggage fresh off an airline flight.

If the OP is still in the planning phase it would be wise to consider Clark /Lake stop, maybe check weather too.

Last edited by chet everett; 07-24-2014 at 10:06 AM..

Old 07-24-2014, 09:51 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,344,304 times
Quote:
It is one thing to "hoof it" from even Union Station to North Michigan Ave with a briefcase through nice clean walkable parts of the Loop that might be SEVERAL miles lined with interesting shops and such than to plod along the quasi-industrial areas west of River North with all the luggage fresh off an airline flight.

If the OP is still in the planning phase it would be wise to consider the State/Lake stop, maybe check weather too.
I still recommend stopping at the Grand-Blue, walking down Milwaukee to Kinzie, and crossing at the Kinzie bridge. Much better aesthetics (especially at the bridge) than you will get from State/Lake. If you don't think so, you probably haven't been to that area for a while.

I think it's a great "gateway to Chicago." The OP will be seeing a whole lot of nothing on the Blue line, walk down two bland blocks of Milwaukee and then BAM! -- the river, the draw bridges, the breeze, glistening windows contrasting old red brick, and towering over it all the iconic Sears. Beautiful. One of the best little views in Chicago. Beats the hell outta walking past "nice shops."

Old 07-24-2014, 10:09 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
The "stuck bridge" (which I agree is kind of iconic..) won't make up for the fact they OP will likely have bags to carry in what is a weirdly "industrial" area. The sidewalks just are not as well traveled / cared for as those in the more traditonal commuter friendly areas

Old 07-24-2014, 12:36 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
When you're used to it, it's basically nothing. I remember when I first moved to a walkable town (not Chicago) - I thought walking 1/4 mile was a huge deal. Now if it's nice out, I'll walk a few miles for fun without a problem. If I'm going somewhere and not just a stroll, then 1/2 to 1 mile is nothing. If you aren't used to it though, even 1/2 mile seems like a lot.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:49 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
I guess i agree with chet.

I was just walking around over there last week and 'quasi industrial' is a good description.

I mean a mile isn't a big deal either but I guess I don't see the point of that particular walk.

With a cab you could be at your destination in 2 minutes instead of 20, ditch your bags, and then go on a walk somewhere interesting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: