Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 06:19 PM

25 posts, read 50,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...absolutely! Safety while driving is just not an issue and neither is parking during any normal hours.

I mean for crying out loud there are literally ten of thousand of people driving all kinds of imported cars around every part of Chicago.

The rate of car theft is not particularly high for Chicago, probably similar to DC.

Heck, even the "worst" of the City Colleges are well policed and not in the kinds of areas that anybody is ever gonna say are overrun with "grand theft auto" type thugs...

You really need to get some perspective if you are seriously thinking about working here.
Im not concerned about theft, I am concerned about carjacking or, hell, stray bullets. Thats what insurance is for, and since I've never actually driven the route between Hyde Park and Englewood or the other neighborhood. Im sure there are plenty of people with luxury cars, but are they driving into Englewood everyday? I dont know, which is why I asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Will the soft top get slashed? I.e. not to steal the car but to steal stuff in the car. That happened to some friends of mine in Wicker Park back in the day. That would be my concern with a convertible.
Its a hard top, but thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 07:29 PM

436 posts, read 1,347,926 times
My auto insurance dropped by 35% when I moved to Chicago from Dallas. Insurance company told me that people don't steal cars and take them to Canada like they do from Dallas to Mexico. Who knew? I rarely drive here but I still wouldn't give up my car. Errands for bigger/heavier items, occasional visits to the suburbs and road trips are easier with my own car.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:13 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
My auto insurance dropped by 35% when I moved to Chicago from Dallas. Insurance company told me that people don't steal cars and take them to Canada like they do from Dallas to Mexico. Who knew? I rarely drive here but I still wouldn't give up my car. Errands for bigger/heavier items, occasional visits to the suburbs and road trips are easier with my own car.
At least in 2012 overall, Chicago actually had a higher Motor Vehicle Theft rate than both Dallas and Houston, but it wasn't by much. Last year, Englewood had 269 reports of Motor Vehicle Theft. That equates to 877.5 per 100K, which is similar to Fresno and San Jose's rate. Before you say that's a great thing, realize that Fresno and San Jose were in the top 10 worst cities for motor vehicle theft in 2012.

This year, at least through 7/14, Englewood has 106 reports of it. At that rate, it may end up with around or less than 200 for the year. That would drop Englewood down a few hundred per 100k down to the level of San Francisco or Miami.

You also have to take into account car ownership in some of these areas too though. It's not like everyone owns a car. A decent number of people probably don't.

Last edited by marothisu; 07-22-2014 at 09:35 PM..

Old 07-23-2014, 06:15 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
If you're young and single, you may be able to get away with not owning a car. Otherwise probably no.

Though if you're working outside of downtown (which seems the case), I would most definitely own a car.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:51 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,938,332 times
I'd never give up my car in Chicago. Maybe trade it in for a more basic car.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Though if you're working outside of downtown (which seems the case), I would most definitely own a car.
This is not a good blanket statement. Just because all the train lines but one converge downtown doesn't mean that other areas of town can't be used with that. There are still other parts of town that are covered by lines. Kennedy-King college is on the Green Line, for example. If someone worked at that college wanted to, they could easily ditch a car and rely on the Green Line if they lived along that.

My ex girlfriend's office was along the Brown line in North Center. She got rid of her car and she didn't need it. Working downtown is not the end all be all of whether you need a car.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:36 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BibiKeni View Post
Im not concerned about theft, I am concerned about carjacking or, hell, stray bullets. Thats what insurance is for, and since I've never actually driven the route between Hyde Park and Englewood or the other neighborhood. Im sure there are plenty of people with luxury cars, but are they driving into Englewood everyday? I dont know, which is why I asked.
Carjackings and stray bullets.....no, you'll be fine. The news has it all out to be much scarier than reality for someone who isn't a member of a gang carrying a gun around, I assume this isn't you. Just use your head and be aware, but during the day for a normal citizen going about their business you're fine.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:41 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This is not a good blanket statement. Just because all the train lines but one converge downtown doesn't mean that other areas of town can't be used with that. There are still other parts of town that are covered by lines. Kennedy-King college is on the Green Line, for example. If someone worked at that college wanted to, they could easily ditch a car and rely on the Green Line if they lived along that.

My ex girlfriend's office was along the Brown line in North Center. She got rid of her car and she didn't need it. Working downtown is not the end all be all of whether you need a car.
I disagree. Obviously it's physically possible to commute almost anywhere without a car, but that, to me, is not the standard for whether or not one should own a car.

To me, the standard is whether or not your lifestyle won't be meaningfully impacted. If I'm working somwhere deep on the South Side, it will much easier to drive to work, for a multide of reasons, even if there is good transit access.

But generally speaking, if you have the means to own car, it's probably a good idea to have a car, regardless of where you work. Especially with the tough winters, and general auto orientation of Chicagoland, it will come in handy, esp. not young, broke and single. I wouldn't want to invite a date to a bus ride, or carry $200 worth of groceries home by foot, or haul two kids onto transit, or wait on an open L platform when it's -10 in January.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I disagree. Obviously it's physically possible to commute almost anywhere without a car, but that, to me, is not the standard for whether or not one should own a car.

To me, the standard is whether or not your lifestyle won't be meaningfully impacted. If I'm working somwhere deep on the South Side, it will much easier to drive to work, for a multide of reasons, even if there is good transit access.

But generally speaking, if you have the means to own car, it's probably a good idea to have a car, regardless of where you work. Especially with the tough winters, and general auto orientation of Chicagoland, it will come in handy, esp. not young, broke and single. I wouldn't want to invite a date to a bus ride, or carry $200 worth of groceries home by foot, or haul two kids onto transit, or wait on an open L platform when it's -10 in January.
There are obviously cases on both sides - I never said otherwise. I don't think you understood what I'm saying though. Pretend you're working in Avondale within walking distance to the Belmont Blue Line stop. You're seriously going to tell me that you need a car to get to work only because it's not in the Loop? Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-23-2014 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:38 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Default Try to stay on topic and ...

Mod cut: Orphaned.

The OP clearly said they'd be working for the City Colleges. Didn't say anything about Avondale, didn't mention if they'd be living near an El stop either.

There are actually LOTS of places one could inside Chicsgo that would brutally inconveneient to get to without a car if you are living in a nicer area.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-23-2014 at 02:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: