Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 09:56 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
It's the most dangerous to me. If not post articles from other cities that have had 82 shootings in one weekend.

Still at, Tony?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 01:30 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
C'mon, the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Manhattan are boroughs - not "distinct cities" - but New York, all 5 boroughs combined, also included separately in the list, is a "distinct city."

Old 07-28-2014, 12:03 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Try to spin it however you want to, but Chicago is the place making nightly headlines for its extreme violence.
I think that's the whole point though - Chicago is middle of the road for large cities in regards to violent crime rates, yet it's always the one that grabs all the headlines.

Why not Atlanta, Washington DC, Miami, Indinapolis, etc. that hall have higher murder rates?

I understand the point that the sheer number is higher than those cities, although the city has millions more people, so obviously you need to pay attention to rates. I'm not going to say Flint is more safe than San Francisco because San Francisco has more murders.

Crime is bad, but you come off like you're falling for the big headlines and running with the media because it drives viewership. Looking at the reality of the situation instead of popping up from 1,000 miles away is what's needed. You're just falling for the media without really understanding any of the backstory of what you're talking about.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:11 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I think that's the whole point though - Chicago is middle of the road for large cities in regards to violent crime rates, yet it's always the one that grabs all the headlines.

Why not Atlanta, Washington DC, Miami, Indinapolis, etc. that hall have higher murder rates?

I understand the point that the sheer number is higher than those cities, although the city has millions more people, so obviously you need to pay attention to rates. I'm not going to say Flint is more safe than San Francisco because San Francisco has more murders.

Crime is bad, but you come off like you're falling for the big headlines and running with the media because it drives viewership. Looking at the reality of the situation instead of popping up from 1,000 miles away is what's needed. You're just falling for the media without really understanding any of the backstory of what you're talking about.
Yes but when comparing Chicago to other cities it's size like NYC, LA, and perhaps some other exceptions like Dallas and Phoenix, it is outrageously high. It's just incomparable to put a world class city with well over 2 million people to cities with a few hundred thousand people.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:39 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Yes but when comparing Chicago to other cities it's size like NYC, LA, and perhaps some other exceptions like Dallas and Phoenix, it is outrageously high. It's just incomparable to put a world class city with well over 2 million people to cities with a few hundred thousand people.
Of the five largest cities in the U.S.A., Philadelphia and Houston are really the peer cities to which Chicago should be compared (and maybe LA, but certainly not NYC). Even so (and with the spike in homicides that year) through 2012, Chicago didn't have the highest homicide rate, robbery rate, assault rate, property crime rate, burglary rate, or larceny rate. It did have the highest vehicle theft rate. I don't know if there's a better website to compare so easily (including 2013 states), but the table filtering on Wikipedia makes it pretty easy:

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-28-2014, 01:53 PM

575 posts, read 616,266 times
I suppose it depends on whether the murder capital is the city with the most murders or the city with the highest murder rate.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:12 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheOrangeCat View Post
I suppose it depends on whether the murder capital is the city with the most murders or the city with the highest murder rate.
I really don't think anyone wants their city to be either one, unfortunately Chicago is. I talk to someone who moved from Florida up to Chicago and it is obvious now that he regrets it.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:13 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
NYC and LA are basically the lowest rates out there at the moment. Of course it will seem high compared to them - anyone would. For large cities OVERALL Chicago is middle of the pack.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:57 PM

190 posts, read 315,377 times
And it should be mentioned that LA's rate has only recently really plumetted, go back 10-15 years and it was neck and neck with Chicago.

NYC used to have multiple thousands of murders every year.

Only within the past couple of decades have we seen the murder rates drop, Chicago's has simply not dropped as fast as the two largest cities in the country.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:11 AM

122 posts, read 253,161 times
These murder capitol list make no sense. Why? Because a smaller city will have a higher murder per capita then a big city with over a million people. The worst city right now on top of these list is East St Louis Illinois.....population 27,000. Homicides? 17-25. Compared to Chicago it would give this small city with a small population a higher murder per capita because they are comparing it with Chicago a city of 2.7 million. But the neighborhoods in Chicago are worse then East St Louis. Englewood has 30-40 murders a year with a community population of 30,000 to 35,000. Big cities with more yuppies, middle class people dilute crime statistics its common sense. Chicago is the big city murder capitol compared to New York and Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago