Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 12:04 PM

356 posts, read 543,092 times

Advertisements

I'm sure you have an opinion. Let's hear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 12:06 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,238,464 times
how about a bike?

p.s. if you drive a hummer, you can guarantee i would, hypothetically if i still had a car, go 5 mph or more under the speed limit just to **** you off.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:37 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,468,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City John View Post
I'm sure you have an opinion. Let's hear it.
I try not be self righteous but whenever I see someone driving an H2, I think they must have a small you-know-what. These planet busters are totally out of style, unless you're a drug lord or pro athlete.

The "hip" city car of choice is an older European car like a late-1980s Saab. Of course, by the time you're done with the yearly maintenance costs, you'd probably be close to the cost of gas for a Hummer. Personally, I've always liked VW's TDI products, when they still made them that is. A Rabbit or Jetta with a diesel would be perfect, and nearly as efficient as a hybrid.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:46 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
There is no need for a Hummer in Chicago or most other places either.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:25 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 999,230 times
Smaller is definitely better in the city.
We both drive Subarus, which are right up there with Volvos and Saabs in that "City Idiot Chic" category- the difference being, our Subaru 4 wheel drive sure is nice in winter... While the Priuses and Volvos are spinning sideways out of control into a snowbank, we're cruising by doing 60, pointing and laughing. The downside is that they're (Subarus) about the most expensive cars to maintain- even more so than big name "luxury" brands, but they do tend to last a long time and their performance is great. We have one with right at 200K and it's chugging along like new.

While there may not be a "need" for a Hummer, if that's what you want and you can afford it, then get one. Thankfully, a free society doesn't predicate what it allows its citizens based on "need" (even though Chicago is about as far-away from being a 'free society' - in both practice and mentality- as you're going to find in the United States. It makes New York City look like Montana in the general "individual liberty sensibility" category, so if you're going to buy a Hummer, expect to receive guff from the Vegetarian Solstice Worshipers)

Last edited by LM1; 12-23-2007 at 01:37 PM..

Old 12-23-2007, 01:32 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,512,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
how about a bike?

p.s. if you drive a hummer, you can guarantee i would, hypothetically if i still had a car, go 5 mph or more under the speed limit just to **** you off.
Then if I had a Hummer I would do all I could to knock your ***** out at the first red with a shot of mace to the face and my mag light meeting your cheek bone. Wouldn't be the first time for me to do that to someone either

Old 12-23-2007, 01:37 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,238,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Then if I had a Hummer I would do all I could to knock your ***** out at the first red with a shot of mace to the face and my mag light meeting your cheek bone. Wouldn't be the first time for me to do that to someone either
okay.... you'd knock out a girl with mace and a maglite just because she's driving a little slower than you? can you say "road rage?"

Old 12-23-2007, 01:38 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 999,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
See? This is what I love about NY.
This used to be Chicago, too...

Old 12-23-2007, 01:38 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,512,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
okay.... you'd knock out a girl with mace and a maglite just because she's driving a little slower than you? can you say "road rage?"
No NO not if you arent doing it to purposely P!$$ someone off like you said you would do. If you're trying to pick a fight though, BRING IT ON! Oh and in the case if you were a woman I would just get along side of you and drive you into some parked cars or a concrete barrier. Thats what you get for trying to quote on quote " P#$$ someone off"

Old 12-23-2007, 01:43 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
Smaller is definitely better in the city.
We both drive Subarus, which are right up there with Volvos and Saabs in that "City Idiot Chic" category- the difference being, our Subaru 4 wheel drive sure is nice in winter... While the Priuses and Volvos are spinning sideways out of control into a snowbank, we're cruising by doing 60, pointing and laughing. The downside is that they're (Subarus) about the most expensive cars to maintain- even more so than big name "luxury" brands, but they do tend to last a long time and their performance is great. We have one with right at 200K and it's chugging along like new
There are plenty of AWD Volvos that do just as good in the snow (if not better) as your Scooby. That post sounds snobby, right up the "city idiot chic" alley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: