Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 03:22 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMcC View Post
We have heard great things about Andersonville! We will definitely check it out when we visit. Our only issue may be that its a distance from the city, and we want to have fun in the city for a bit before we move into the suburbs.

Thank you for the great information!
Andersonville is in the City. You can take the Red Line downtown. Plus there are multiple bus routes through the neighborhood and an express bus not far either. Personally, I would not rule it out due to distance to downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 03:43 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Hyde Park is a good neighborhood, but I have a few caveats.

1) Connection with the rest of the areas of the city with restaurants, bars, etc is not very great.
2) While HP has restaurants and bars, it's not a lot of them. It's not even in the same universe when compared to other parts of town. The area is getting better with regards to this, but it'll be a long, long time before you could say that HP is on the same level as anywhere downtown, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, Andersonville, UK Village, Little Village, etc etc etc

If you want a quiet neighborhood with intelligent people, and some bars and restaurants but not a ton, and you don't plan on going to other parts of town downtown or on the north/northwest side terribly often, then HP is good. Otherwise, IMO I don't think it will 100% satisfy the OP and her partner. One of the main reasons more people don't live in HP are the two reasons above.
I also think that one of the reasons why some don't choose this area is because of what surrounds Hyde Park...

Old 10-27-2014, 08:35 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
We have heard great things about Andersonville! We will definitely check it out when we visit. Our only issue may be that its a distance from the city, and we want to have fun in the city for a bit before we move into the suburbs.

Thank you for the great information!
Andersonville is a city neighborhood. It is NOT in the suburbs.

See the map at this website

About Andersonville - Chicago Neighborhoods - Choose Chicago

Also take a look at this website.

andersonville | Welcome to Andersonville, Chicago!

Old 10-27-2014, 09:15 PM

6 posts, read 8,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Andersonville is a city neighborhood. It is NOT in the suburbs.

See the map at this website

About Andersonville - Chicago Neighborhoods - Choose Chicago

Also take a look at this website.

andersonville | Welcome to Andersonville, Chicago!

Ok, ok... sorry. Everyone keeps on making it sound far away, so it was easily assumed it was not in the city proper. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Andersonville is in the City. You can take the Red Line downtown. Plus there are multiple bus routes through the neighborhood and an express bus not far either. Personally, I would not rule it out due to distance to downtown.

Wonderful thank you for clarifying. We have looked into it more, and we are definitely going to check it out this weekend. I really appreciate all your help!

Old 10-27-2014, 09:18 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,364 times
I wouldn't limit yourself to Andersonville. It's not that great, in my opinion. It also isn't really a "condo with amenities" kind of neighborhood. More like a place where you can get a deal on a courtyard condo without any amenities.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:43 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,049 times
Quote:
Ok, ok... sorry. Everyone keeps on making it sound far away, so it was easily assumed it was not in the city proper. Thanks for the clarification.

The thing is, downtown isn't really the fun part of Chicago. It can be nice, but I don't think of distance to downtown to be a big deal - I am more excited about distance to the Lake, which is a big part of why I love Rogers Park. The other thing is train and bus connections; RP and Andersonville are both great for that, and on their own more fun than downtown IMHO.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:37 AM

725 posts, read 3,014,631 times
Might be worth checking out Halsted Flats...

Has an outdoor pool, fitness center, recreation room, bike storage, and PetSmart just opened up in the first floor retail. This is in Boystown. There's also outdoor party space. The units have in unit w/d, and there is garaged parking in the building. Two of my friends live in the building and it's really nice. One of them has a 1bd and pays a little over $2k I think. And my other friends (a couple) pay $2500 for a 2 bd.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:52 AM

3,922 posts, read 6,835,417 times
I would recommend boys town area too. I am a straight male and live on Addison and LakeShore drive which is just east of there. I have lesbian and gay couples living in my building. Its pretty normal to see same sex couples holding hands, etc. Plus its the epicenter of the pride parade.

The only downside IMO is that the bars are flooded with gay men. If you and your partner are looking to go out at 11pm then you will have to travel a little bit to a bar. Keep in mind, this is of little inconvenience since cabs and public transit are plentiful in Chicago.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:08 PM

Thank you everyone! We are going to be heading out there this weekend to look around. I appreciate all of the information, and we will definitely keep it all in mind while looking for the right neighborhood to live in.

Thanks again!
Kate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago