Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best neighborhood for a Young Chicago Newbie?
Buena Park 1 6.67%
Lakeview 4 26.67%
Logan Square 4 26.67%
Edgewater 3 20.00%
Lincoln Square/Ravenswood 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 07:09 PM

5 posts, read 11,103 times

Advertisements

I'm a 21 yr old woman who is moving to Chicago this month. Even though I go to Chicago nearly every weekend, I still don't know much about all the neighborhoods here. Because of that, it's made my apartment search much harder. Ideally, I'm looking for a studio (larger than 300 sq ft), between 600-700 a month including utilities. Lakeview was my first choice but with my budget it's not the most realistic option. So I've settle on the following neighborhoods:

-Logan Square
-Buena Park
-Edgewater
-Ravenswood
-Lincoln Square
-Lakeview

Buena Park is my second favorite option, but a lot of places are getting scooped up quickly. Plus they're super small. I know I'll have to make a sacrifice with something but safety and proximity to amenities is important to me. If it helps, I'm a college student, really into the music and arts scene. I'm really interested in fashion and fun nightlife events, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 08:02 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,107,300 times
What college? That will help narrow your search down.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:14 PM

5 posts, read 11,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
What college? That will help narrow your search down.
I'll be finishing my degree with Franklin University in Ohio, but online.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallgirlbigcity View Post
Even though I go to Chicago nearly every weekend, I still don't know much about all the neighborhoods here.
Okay read the 2nd post here for a guide:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...-pamphlet.html

Old 11-03-2014, 08:25 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,923,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Okay read the 2nd post here for a guide:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...-pamphlet.html
The "pamphlet" is terrible. It goes into great detail on the street grid system and on the names of gangs, but says nothing about any neighborhoods, business districts, etc. Someone who reads it will be able to avoid offending gang members in Ford City Mall but will not be able to find downtown or the airport. Give it a pass.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:47 PM

Heh that was a copy/paste from my pamphlet in MicroSoft Word. Which is front cover, back cover, and in between. So it's really 2 full pages printed on 2 sides. If it was longer it would no longer be a pamphlet. I can only make the font so small.

As for not being able to find downtown or the airports, boy o boy, this I mostly give to people that are new to Chicago although I have a feeling most tourists know how to find the airports.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:34 AM

145 posts, read 274,293 times
Honestly, based on your criteria and your price range, I'd recommend Edgewater.

Affordable studios are abundant in that area, as the neighborhood primarily caters to the single college crowd from Loyola and DePaul.

Theres quite a bit to do in the neighborhood, and it's also a very short red line ride, or bike ride away from Lakeview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago