Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 01:30 AM

4 posts, read 10,730 times

Advertisements

Just looking for some opinions on safe yet relatively inexpensive neighborhoods in Chicago. I'm a typical "starving artist" (lol) and I have no problem living in low income neighborhoods. I've lived in many, and know that "low income" does not always mean "dangerous". I just want to avoid the actual dangerous neighborhoods...just researching chicago it seems like the neighborhoods to avoid are on the south side. Is that accurate?

I'll looking for a studio between $500-$750...with that budget I don't have a ton of options but I'd like to live somewhere with some life and good energy...people out and about (and not shooting at me)...a coffee shop or two...cute girls waiting for a nice guy to be brave and say hi;]

Right now I'm looking at East Garfield Park, Logan Square, Uptown, and Rogers Park. Opinions? Suggestions? Thanks :] -s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 01:56 AM

150 posts, read 296,193 times
My little Sister is the typical starving artist type and she is doing great in Ukrainian Village. she would definitely tell you to go a little more North.. look East of Humbolt Park around Ukrainian Village. Also check out Pilsen. she's pure hippie wondering artist that lives on nothing but riding a bike and she's loving life in that area, lots of life, coffee shops fun people ect..

Old 01-09-2015, 03:19 AM

321 posts, read 373,293 times
I would go Pilsen, Uptown, or Rogers Park, in that order of preference.

You might find something for that price in Logan Square still (though not in the ubergentrified part, obviously), but I don't think you would in Ukrainian Village.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:59 AM

4 posts, read 10,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon010181 View Post
My little Sister is the typical starving artist type and she is doing great in Ukrainian Village. she would definitely tell you to go a little more North.. look East of Humbolt Park around Ukrainian Village. Also check out Pilsen. she's pure hippie wondering artist that lives on nothing but riding a bike and she's loving life in that area, lots of life, coffee shops fun people ect..
Haha yeah no car for me, I don't even drink. No car + no alcohol saves so much $$$ :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by UC18 View Post
I would go Pilsen, Uptown, or Rogers Park, in that order of preference.

You might find something for that price in Logan Square still (though not in the ubergentrified part, obviously), but I don't think you would in Ukrainian Village.
Cool, I hadn't heard of Pilsen, I'll look into it.
Yeah, I visited the Wicker Park/Ukrainian Village area a few months ago. Love the vibe but its a little out of my price range.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:14 AM

321 posts, read 373,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedl View Post
Cool, I hadn't heard of Pilsen, I'll look into it.
It, like Logan Square, has been a center of "starving artists" for a decade or two (similar to what Wicker Park was before then) and is gentrifying. It's a little behind Logan Square on the gentrification curve, though, and is therefore still more affordable, at least for now.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:30 AM

846 posts, read 1,403,697 times
I just moved from Pilsen to Rogers Park, to be closer to work. In Pilsen we had a 2 bedroom for $700 and one for $800 (same building, just moved apts). Pilsen is totally doable.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:40 AM

498 posts, read 726,993 times
I would also suggest Pilsen and Bridgeport for your price range. You may find Uptown and Logan Square to be too expensive for you.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:39 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,867,607 times
I'd look for something close to an el stop. Maybe Uptown or Logan Square.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:16 AM

846 posts, read 1,403,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
I'd look for something close to an el stop. Maybe Uptown or Logan Square.
I was about a block from the Pink line when I lived in Pilsen While the pink line may not run 24/7 it stops about 1/130am and picks back up at 4/430am.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:27 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,644,071 times
I would not say LS is still very affordable, its the hottest neighborhood in the city right now. Avondale is probably a better bet if youre looking up in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago