Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 10:25 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I disagree with you about the fact that Chinatown Square is like a normal mall. That is unlike 99% of American malls. I have friends from China who say there are areas in some cities in China that look like that too - more touristy, but I don't know how in the hell you equate that to a normal mall. I've also seen something like it when I was in SE Asia last.
I mean I don't really mind it, I just think Wemtworth is way cooler. To each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 10:28 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I mean I don't really mind it, I just think Wemtworth is way cooler. To each their own.
Wenworth looks cooler, but CS is not bad at all and it's not like a shopping mall in the least bit. There are places there that have just as much character inside too. The food is also on average better in the newer part, except for maybe Go4Food, which is on a side street of Wentworth.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:36 PM

955 posts, read 1,832,882 times
Quote:
Did you ever try Bertucci's Corner? I went a couple times before it closed. The food wasn't that great and had apparently slipped by then, but a cool atmosphere.
No, although they were very popular years ago. I never ventured south for my Italian food pleasures, there so many endless good options all over the north and west sides as well as the neighboring suburbs that it seldom came to my attention. The south side Italian communities were small and few when compared to the west side and suburbs. To this day I still have never been to Vito and Nicks for pizza despite having known of it's big reputation for forty years or more. I'm ashamed of myself.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
No, although they were very popular years ago. I never ventured south for my Italian food pleasures, there so many endless good options all over the north and west sides as well as the neighboring suburbs that it seldom came to my attention. The south side Italian communities were small and few when compared to the west side and suburbs. To this day I still have never been to Vito and Nicks for pizza despite having known of it's big reputation for forty years or more. I'm ashamed of myself.
I still need to go there too. Ever go to Marie's or Sabbatino's? Those are a couple NW side spots I like. Also Caponie's which used to be in Harlem and is now on Irving Park I think or maybe Lawerance.

The only South Side Italian spot I really like is Gio's.

Unless you count Oakley in Pilsen as south.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
I still need to go there too. Ever go to Marie's or Sabbatino's? Those are a couple NW side spots I like. Also Caponie's which used to be in Harlem and is now on Irving Park I think or maybe Lawerance.

The only South Side Italian spot I really like is Gio's.

Unless you count Oakley in Pilsen as south.
Maries yes, Sabatinos yes, Caponies no. Sabs is on another entire level, they're white tablecloth dining Italian-style. Most folks rave about Sabs rich pasta courses, but I always loved their meat dishes. Especially the veal. Maries is where you take her on your first date and Sabatinos is where you propose to her.

Never got to Caponies, despite living in the area for many years. There are lots of pizzerias and pizza restaurants in that area and my longtime loyalties always draw me back in their direction. Dalucianos and Agostinos on harlem (not to be confused with D'agostinos) are my current favorites for non-pizza Italian dining in that general locale.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Maries yes, Sabatinos yes, Caponies no. Sabs is on another entire level, they're white tablecloth dining Italian-style. Most folks rave about Sabs rich pasta courses, but I always loved their meat dishes. Especially the veal. Maries is where you take her on your first date and Sabatinos is where you propose to her.

Never got to Caponies, despite living in the area for many years. There are lots of pizzerias and pizza restaurants in that area and my longtime loyalties always draw me back in their direction. Dalucianos and Agostinos on harlem (not to be confused with D'agostinos) are my current favorites for non-pizza Italian dining in that general locale.
Nice; I want to try Augistino's. Passed it a few times and heard good things about it.

I wish the old Sicily restaurant on Harlem where the old "Last Supper" pic was taken was around but I think it's a big CVS now.

Later.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:18 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,185,102 times
I'm sure Chinatown and the Wentworth corridor will be just fine over the long run. It's probably going to follow the same path as Pilsen. Over the next few years, you probably will see a lot of the old restaurants and shops start to close on Wentworth. Rents will drop to rock bottom prices and young artists will move in. It's cheap, it has character, and it has a central location close to the EL. Ten years from now, Pilsen will probably be the new Wicker Park, and Chinatown will be the new Pilsen.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Nice; I want to try Augistino's. Passed it a few times and heard good things about it.

I wish the old Sicily restaurant on Harlem where the old "Last Supper" pic was taken was around but I think it's a big CVS now.

Later.
Sorrentos pizza was the former home of Little Sicily. The dining room is closed now, but they have a healthy delivery business and for good reason, the thin crust is delish. Sorrentos like a lot of Chicago pizza joints have longtime west side roots and have kept the original family pizza recipes in tact. Another one is Bijes bar and grill on Irving down the street from Caponies.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:33 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Funny that you Chicagoans differentiate between the two. To me, it's just one Chinatown divided into two different sections. If even more shops were added to Cermak Avenue, the two would link up into one.
This is actually how I think of it, and most people think of this way too in Chicago. If you go in the summer, Wentworth is more lively for sure and there are some interesting things happening to Chinatown over the next few years or close to it.

Quote:
Gentrification is no laughing matter when it comes to preserving ethnic neighborhoods like Chinatown.
Chicago's is very interesting as there has been an expansion of it into the neighboring area, Bridgeport which has some Chinese restaurants, temples, business with Chinese signs, etc. Some of the areas of Bridgeport that are close to Chinatown are over 60 or 70% Asian right now. In fact, there's more Asians in Bridgeport currently than the Chinatown area. It doesn't stop there either - there are also sizable Chinese communities now even south of there in the areas of McKinley Park and now increasingly Brighton Park. Even the Canaryville area is now around 10% Asian. Same as the area of Douglas not far away.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:20 PM

321 posts, read 372,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Funny that you Chicagoans differentiate between the two. To me, it's just one Chinatown divided into two different sections.
Not only have I never thought of it as two Chinatowns; I've never even thought of it as having two sections. I've always just thought of it as one neighborhood with some older buildings and some newer buildings, like many urban neighborhoods. The buildings and the crowds of people all run together as I walk through it on a summer day, or drive through it on my way from South Loop to Pilsen or Bridgeport. I'm not sure many Chicagoans view it two different places. I think those people are just overrepresented among the people commenting here.

Baby to people who were around back when the old part of Chinatown was the only part, anything newer feels like a different area? I can't really see how it would look that way to anyone viewing it for the first time now, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago