Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 02:12 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,658,476 times

Advertisements

A few months ago I got a parking ticket for being parked on the street during street cleaning. I contested the ticket because I literally had nowhere else to park that day. There was a sign posted on the street saying to not post in a certain block of the street between 9 am - 5 pm (I think it was because there were CTA workers that needed to park there in order to do repair work on the El or something). Those were the only empty spots left on the non-street cleaning side of the street. That morning I needed to get to work (I commute using the El) and if I were to park my car somewhere else, I would have had to pay a ton of money just to park it for one day anyway.

So I submitted evidence to the city showing why I was unable to park in a non-street cleaning spot (showed them a photo of the sign I talked about above). I got a response from them just the other week saying that "as a defense to this ticket you have asserted an excuse or reason which is not recognized". Then it goes on to say that I may appeal this order to the Circuit Court of Cook County within 35 days of the order date by filing a civil law suit against the City of Chicago.

I really want to go after them for this because I feel like they are just stealing my money. What was I supposed to do? Keep driving around until a spot opened up finally and skip work that day? Was I supposed to go to a metered spot and pay about $60 (the fine amount) anyway? It's complete B.S. and I would be willing to pay more money than the fine if I could go after them for this. Do you think it's even worth doing? I know it's only $60 and it's not that big of a deal, but I am just so furious that they go around and just steal money like this from hard-working, law-abiding citizens who spend lots of money in the city in the first place (and I know it's not just me ... I see them handing out tickets like candy all the time on my street). Anyone else here tried the civil lawsuit route before? Again, I know that if I were to do it, it would probably cost more, but if I could get my point across and make something happen from it, then I am all for it in order to stop this B.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 02:24 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
No parking means no parking, regardless of how far away another parking place is. Pay the $60.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
No parking means no parking, regardless of how far away another parking place is. Pay the $60.
The point I am making is that I had nowhere else to park on my assigned street. In many downtown areas you need a residential permit in order to park on the street you live on (and can't park on other residential streets). And I would have not been able to park in a metered spot because then I would have to had to leave work, go refill the meter, return to work, and repeat this process every few hours ... or I would have to had to park in a parking garage somewhere which would have cost up to $60 anyway.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:39 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
I agree it stinks, but the sign doesn't say "No parking unless there aren't any other spaces left". You aren't going to get anywhere with a civil lawsuit. Metered parking and garage parking are options, even if they're bad options.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:43 PM

So is that what they expect people to do then? Go park somewhere and pay a ton of money anyway? So my options are ... go pay $60 for parking or go pay $60 for the fine. I should just get rid of my car as I pay more money to park it than to drive it. I guess that's exactly what the city wants me to do anyway...

Old 02-01-2015, 02:48 PM

255 posts, read 584,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
I should just get rid of my car as I pay more money to park it than to drive it.
I think you've hit on your best solution.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:13 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
I'm sorry...but I have to ask - how old are you? Are you a Millennial? Why would you ever think that just because you SAY there's no place to park that it would be a legal excuse to break the law?

If you'd been willing to walk further, or pay money you could have found a space - you chose instead to be lazy and cheap - TICKET - case closed - no pouting or stomping allowed.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I'm sorry...but I have to ask - how old are you? Are you a Millennial? Why would you ever think that just because you SAY there's no place to park that it would be a legal excuse to break the law?

If you'd been willing to walk further, or pay money you could have found a space - you chose instead to be lazy and cheap - TICKET - case closed - no pouting or stomping allowed.
I provided evidence to them that several spaces were blocked off for parking because of CTA maintenance. That in combination of everyone having to find a spot on the other side of the street only during street cleaning would be enough evidence.

And I think you are missing my point ... yes, technically, I could have gone somewhere and paid to park. You know that parking downtown is not cheap. So because CTA had to do their maintenance, I was forced to either pay a fine or pay pretty much the same amount of money just to park. So either way I get screwed. Is that what they expect people to do? Just say "oh well, couldn't find parking, so I guess I have to shell out $50 today to park". Is that what you would do in this situation and not even be upset about it?

Old 02-01-2015, 04:19 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,258,281 times
Have you contacted the alderman regarding this? You might get some feedback.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:00 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
I provided evidence to them that several spaces were blocked off for parking because of CTA maintenance. That in combination of everyone having to find a spot on the other side of the street only during street cleaning would be enough evidence.

And I think you are missing my point ... yes, technically, I could have gone somewhere and paid to park. You know that parking downtown is not cheap. So because CTA had to do their maintenance, I was forced to either pay a fine or pay pretty much the same amount of money just to park. So either way I get screwed. Is that what they expect people to do? Just say "oh well, couldn't find parking, so I guess I have to shell out $50 today to park". Is that what you would do in this situation and not even be upset about it?
But you CHOSE to park illegally hoping you'd get away without a fine....rather than paying for parking....and you seriously would have had no parking options cheaper than $50?! ....how much was the ticket....a bargain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: