Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 12:54 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times

Advertisements

Because he wants to live the American Dream, duh. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
I thought Poland was doing pretty well these days. Why wouldn't you live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 12:54 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Why?
Because it's nice. I'd rather visit Canada than much of the US.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:01 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
Quote:
Well, are there really any "cities" in the American interior besides Chicago?

Also, I just don't believe you (or anyone) claiming they would want to go to Calgary. :P

Montreal is chill though.

Anyway, if you're flying, getting to Canada from Chicago isn't any easier than anywhere else. It's actually cheaper to fly to Canada from places like Phoenix.

I guess my main point was I don't know why you'd choose Chicago for an easy getaway to Canada.
Why are you going into a Why a Chicago choice? AS THE OP IS NOT CHOOSING CHICAGO AS A GATEWAY, MERELY TO CANADA ??
He no doubt realizes Chicago was always known as having the Largest Polish population of any city outside of Warsaw Poland. Though the oldest areas are long changed or gentrified. There still is a Polish presence on the cities Northwest side.

Besides, the OP merely added ......if things don't work out in Chicago, he then will try Canada. There are plenty of ways to reach Canada leaving from Chicago. Even if going east through Detroit. If you have other issues with the OP choosing Chicago? You surely can state your reasoning against it? As you do in other threads Chicago has been a topic? Of verses other cities threads.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:03 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
Because he even said in a follow up "Because its close to Canada" ... well Chicago is not particularly close to Canada. That seems like a stupid reason to pick Chicago. He didn't say anything about the polish community.

PS WHY? Do you? Put Question Marks??? after everything?

Old 02-16-2015, 01:04 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:

Anyway, if you're flying, getting to Canada from Chicago isn't any easier than anywhere else. It's actually cheaper to fly to Canada from places like Phoenix.
A flight from Chicago to Toronto is about $300. It's about $500 from Phoenix.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
A flight from Chicago to Toronto is about $300. It's about $500 from Phoenix.
If I wanted to go next weekend, it's $783 from Chicago and $590 from Phoenix. Whenever I've looked, the flight from Chicago to Toronto is surprisingly expensive. Flights all the way to London have been comparable to the flight to Toronto. I am not sure why that would be the case, but that is my experience.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Because he even said in a follow up "Because its close to Canada" ... well Chicago is not particularly close to Canada. That seems like a stupid reason to pick Chicago. He didn't say anything about the polish community.

PS WHY? Do you? Put Question Marks??? after everything?
Again ask the OP. He merely said, "if things do not work out in Chicago.... then he would try Canada" We are in the 21st century. I do not think he needs to walk over the border. Again Ontario Canada to Toronto is easily gotten through Detroit to Canada......BESIDES. This proves it.

Chicago, IL to Detroit, MI Distance: 281.97 miles Approximate travel time: 4 hours 16 minutes

New York, NY to Buffalo, NY Distance: 373.82 miles Approximate travel time: 6 hours 25 minutes

So there you have it.... Chicago into Canada is closer even going east through Detroit then from NYC

Old 02-16-2015, 01:29 PM

It's 8 hours total driving time from Chicago to Toronto.

It's 12 hours on the Adirondack from NYC to Montreal. But you're on a train that goes downtown to downtown, over a very pretty scenic route and costs 68 bucks.

The Chi to Toronto route, you have to drive your own car across bum **** Michigan, get flogged at the border for an hour, then drive across the armpit of Ontario until you get to Toronto. That is assuming he is going to Toronto. Maybe he just wants to go to O'Hare and fly to Banff. That sounds like a better trip to Canada to me. But again, if he's flying, how does Chicago have an advantage? Why not live in Denver? Or Connecticut? Or why not just live in Seattle, where you could get to Canada in 2.5 hours, via plane, train or automobile?

all I'm saying, is picking Chicago because of proximity to Canada is stupid. I addressed his other concerns as well: schools 5/10, machinist jobs 5/10, polish community 10/10... but he didn't even ask about that, maybe he doesn't want to be around polish people. When I go to Europe and canada, I don't want to meet midwesterners.

Last edited by rzzzz; 02-16-2015 at 01:41 PM..

Old 02-16-2015, 01:39 PM

9 posts, read 8,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
I thought Poland was doing pretty well these days. Why wouldn't you live there?
Hmm it depending on person. Who you are etc. One want to get to Japan (it's very popular nowadays) and anyone else to the USA for example. I like a long distances, big cities and sound of V8 :P Poland is good for my only as a memory of childhood. Country is beautifull, has a lot of place worth to visit but if You want to live there... No. Goverment wants to kill You all the time raising taxes, bureaucracy is soooooo big that to register car you need to take 3 off days of work. It's sick.

As to polish community, I even did't think about it when I was typing first post :P Obviously I know that there is the biggest community in the USA but I don't think so it could help me in any reason. Here in england you can meet polish people everywhere but if someone know what to do, he will do it anyway. It's stiupid thinking in my opinion looking only at the same people like you living somewhere. I know that a lot of people do so but it was not mainly reason

If in your opinion picking Chicago is bad idea in due to distance from Canada it's ok that's why I came here to read some such things. Now I am in Europe and saving up money to move out. (this is next problem because I don't know how much should I take with me. Think about 7-8k Pounds this will be around 10-11$. I think should be enought even for lawyer or something like this to help in paperwork doing visa) Thought about Chicago as I sad and it seems to me that in such big city I should find work in my proffesion. (I know you can say: there is plenty of big cities!) But when I was in poland my friend told about her mates living in Chicago who did such things I wrote. So I thought you will know more as the US citizens :P If we are talking about school. Should be a lot of places where I could study and work for campus to have money for live. Now I have still few choices, learn to Toefl and extra exam that school will needed or fly there with only money and then do everything on place I've done so here in England and burned. But as I said I don't want to live without permit which is visa or green card. (unless you have some girl to married haha :P)

Old 02-16-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
It's 8 hours total driving time from Chicago to Toronto.

It's 12 hours on the Adirondack from NYC to Montreal. But you're on a train that goes downtown to downtown, over a very pretty scenic route and costs 68 bucks.

The Chi to Toronto route, you have to drive your own car across bum **** Michigan, get flogged at the border for an hour, then drive across the armpit of Ontario until you get to Toronto. That is assuming he is going to Toronto. Maybe he just wants to go to O'Hare and fly to Banff. That sounds like a better trip to Canada to me. But again, if he's flying, how does Chicago have an advantage? Why not live in Denver? Or Connecticut? Or why not just live in Seattle, where you could get to Canada in 2.5 hours, via plane, train or automobile?

all I'm saying, is picking Chicago because of proximity to Canada is stupid. I addressed his other concerns as well: schools 5/10, machinist jobs 5/10, polish community 10/10... but he didn't even ask about that, maybe he doesn't want to be around polish people. When I go to Europe and canada, I don't want to meet midwesterners.
A scenic route to Canada is irreverent to the OP's question. To Change his FIRST choice from the USA to Canada, is a last resort for the OP. Besides, Busses run into Canada through Detroit too. If your post is to change the OP's heart? To choose Chicago first? Address the OP. Not everyone dreams of NYC.

Excerpt from the OP's original post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutek8 View Post
Hello there. So as in title Im polish guy actually living in England. Since I remember, always wanted get to the usa and live there for rest of my life. In my opinion Chicago should be the best choise cause if something went wrong I could quite fast get to Canada where is a little bit easier to get "legal" stay there. Yes i think only about legal immigration so that would be handle to hear some yours opinion in this case.
Why make this a seeking to enter Canada question and reason for the OP's post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: