Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 01:11 PM

894 posts, read 2,382,801 times

Advertisements

seem to have the most violent cities, we have detroit, st louis, gary, east st louis, columbus, ohio etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 01:24 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,811,456 times
It's you. The midwest does have many cities that are among the most violent, but high crime rates are spread throughout all regions of the country (see link):

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/City...8_Rank_Rev.pdf

Old 01-03-2009, 04:01 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,045,691 times
Charlotte is pretty violent. Per capita crime is higher than most larger cities....

Old 01-03-2009, 04:08 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times
What is the point of this thread?

Old 01-03-2009, 04:29 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,122,463 times
Quote:
What is the point of this thread?
Maybe to draw a correlation between manufacturing cities/rust belt cities(I hate the term Rust Belt Cities) and loss of jobs and crime?

I think in the Midwest we have a lot of still true cities in the point that most of our cities are touristy cities or destinations except the obvious(CHI). Most of our cities have a lot of people who have always lived here, I also think once a town becomes more of a tourist dest. the city tends to clean-up its act through gentrification/new yuppies/police actually start to clamp down on crime because new areas (IE wicker park, Humboldt Park) have turned around so now the cops will focus more on those parts of the city as well. This also applies for tif districts as well and funds that will become more avail. for those areas as they become up and coming more money will be pumped into that section of the city as city leaders will see it as vital part of the city. Now the once lost 'hood is now becoming nice a lot more of attention will be put on said neighborhood(ie.funds/grants/yuppies).
Beside people are always going to grab on to the next big neighborhood or up and coming part of town much like how crime is spread the same is done when people start to reinvest in areas where potential is seen. After would'nt be nice to have a home in greektown/lincoln park before it was nice because your home value would probably be up 800% for when you bought it.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:38 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,958,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
seem to have the most violent cities, we have detroit, st louis, gary, east st louis, columbus, ohio etc
Southern cities have the highest per capita violent crime rates.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:02 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,165,602 times
Stats are often misleading

Need to look at risk of violent crime for a typical middle-income guy from Naperville or Irvine CA or Plano TX, etc to really draw any meaningful comparos...who really cares about violent crime in high-crime areas of many poor parts of cities/poor suburbs, which exist in every urban region???

And realize that some of crime (e.g., random mugging) is not even reported, as many police forces make it worthless to spend time reporting stuff, vs simply cancelling credit cards, etc

Suspect many who drive around suburbs...or drive into cities, to well-guarded pkg garages, have a materially lower rate of crime vs those who choose mass transit/cabs/walking

Old 01-03-2009, 05:47 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,202,972 times
Unlike other regions, high crime don't spread to far from the central city. The Midwest probably have the safest suburbs in the country.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:34 AM

13 posts, read 31,848 times
Quote:
Since when is Columbus, Ohio a violent city? I used to live there, I never thought it was violent, especially in comparison to Gary or Detroit. Every city, large or small, is going to have its bad areas to stay away from!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:21 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,928,890 times
Funny, I lived in St. Louis most of my life and was never the victim of any violent crime. In fact, the only crime I was involved in was when my stereo got stolen out of my truck.

Go to Boston and check out some of the 'fringe' neighborhoods or maybe check out New Haven or Newark.

Every region has violent crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago