Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2015, 12:47 PM

49 posts, read 102,164 times

Advertisements

First I want to say that I searched and searched this forum extensively about this area before posting this. The most thorough discussion on this was from 2008 and I know a lot may have changed since then. Hoping to get as many opinions and thoughts on this as possible.

My husband and our toddler have lived in Chicago (LP specifically) for almost a year. We are from the east coast- so that is why I don't know a whole lot about other areas of Chicago and could really use your guidance.

We love living in LP/East Lakeview and honestly do not at all want to leave but our lease is up soon, our landlord isn't able to renew and the rental market here is just so high that I don't think we can find afford to find a comparable place for the same price we pay (2800) and we are realizing more and more that even if we could we really ought to rent somewhere cheaper so we can save money to hopefully buy a place in the next few years. Our current rent leaves no room for savings. Unfortunately, after checking rents in other neighborhoods like wicker park, bucktown, Logan square, I find that these areas do not have rents that are much cheaper than what we pay.

This leaves us to consider eitger the suburbs (will post separately about this) or UIC which seems like the cheapest family friendly area I can find.

We have one toddler and hoping to have another baby and there are some things that are deal breakers for us- either garden, first or at most second floor (or elevator), in unit laundry, parking for one car, walking distance to at least one safe playground and short walking distance to transportation to the loop.
My husband commutes to the loop and works long hours and I am currently at home with my baby. So somewhere I can walk around and have toddler friendly activities is really important (I am really going to hate leaving the zoo which is walking distance now) as is a safe metro station for him.

I see UIC has 2 bedrooms for under 2k with the conveniences of elevators, garage parking, etc. paying under 2k would be huge for us because otherwise. I am not sure how we will ever be able to save money to ever buy a house...ever.

I see a lot of rentals for university commons and while they seem small for what we hope will be two children...seems like there would be a lot of other young families there and there is safety in numbers but I don't know much else.

So I would love love love some opinions on whether this area is safe enough (I would have more lax standards if it were just me and my husband but with our baby I want to be extra cautious).

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 01:24 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,932 times
Of course it is, as you have said there are tons of families in the area. Obviously some areas are better than others. There is a ton of green space, good restaurants and bars, and is served well by public transit (well not so much if your looking at the commons) but there is a bus line that brings you into the loop).

Its a bit more spread out than most neighborhoods , so it almost has a suburban feel in places, IMO. There is a mid rise building just North of Taylor on Racine that might even be a better fit than the commons, since it is near the Racine blue line. Should be in your ballpark price range as well.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:50 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,277,550 times
I would offer a tentative yes, but there are or at least were a number of housing projects in or adjacent to the area; just check out the Red Eye Homicide Tracker for the Near West Side and it will pinpoint the problem spots. As long as you are far enough away from those, the area is generally fine.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:05 PM

103 posts, read 159,549 times
Having went to college at UIC and spending a good amount of time in that area, I am very fond of it. UV is absolutely safe, and the UIC south field complex is a wide open playground of green space surrounded by a running track. I won't consider it because I'm looking to buy right now, and the neighborhood schools there apparently suck.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:28 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,259 times
I'll chime in since I live in the neighborhood.

It sounds cliche to say things like "its the closest thing to the suburbs you'll find in the city", but as an ex-suburbanite, ex-Uptowner, ex-DePauler, and ex-LoganSquarer, I have to say that it IS the closest approximation to the suburbs I *personally* have found in the city.

The neighborhood is quiet, clean, laid back, low crime, and low stress. A lot of northsiders hate on this place 'cause they don't think its cool, but I would counter that 18th street, which is 1 block south, means high quality urban grit is there when you want it, and easy to get away from when you don't.

As far as public transit, the options are simple: The Blue Island bus (route 60) @ 15th / Blue Island goes to the Blue Line and downtown, and it is a very busy line. The other routes are the Halsted bus @ 14th place/Halsted or the 18th street bus which runs to the Red Line, also @ 14th place / Halsted.

Then there's always the BNSF Metra at the Halsted stop, which goes to Union Station and the western 'burbs. Which is what I take.

If you do decide on UCommons, make sure you get in contact with the UC Kids club, they have a lot of activities for kids and moms.

Good luck!

Old 04-20-2015, 02:14 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
There are lots of parts of Chicago that have a more "suburban feel" than University Village but I doubt any of them would really hold much appeal for somebody that loves the walkability of East Lakeview or Lincoln Park.

That said, I really do wonder if the considerably more transient nature of folks living in University Commons is really going to be the right decision for somebody with a toddler and hoping to expand their family. Even among folks that post here and like the relative convenience of that part of the city it has never struck me as having anywhere near the kind of connectedness that areas known for their attractiveness to young families hold -- it may very well be impossible to get a family sized place in St. Bens or Roscoe Village for $2800/mo these days and if others are similarly priced out then maybe there will be more permanent residents in University Commons but my experience was between people working at the hospitals and folks in grad school this is a development geared to high turnover...

As far as safety, the area is well policed and rather unlikely to harbor more than a few pockets of troublemakers so that is not a real concern, but I can't help but think the degree to which development is focused more on the medical centers and university (as well other state / municipal offices) will prevent any kind of charming neighborliness to every blossom...

Old 04-21-2015, 05:04 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Driving through the University Commons development one cannot help but notice that is nothing at all like the sorts of developments that have proven attractive to young families in parts of Chicago that have seen some dramatic shifts in affordability.

Areas that do not have the "big box retail" that some see as a "plus" lend themselves to a more walkable street scene. Building Amenities | DK Condo Association Management Company

Believe me, I've shopped at the Target and other stores down there. It is a mad house that probably has more people struggling to cram merchandise into their SUVs and find parking than any other spot in Chicago.

In contrast, the OP already knows she'll really miss having easy access to Lincoln Park Zoo, the walkable little shops of East Lakeview and Lincoln Park; I'm merely confirming that those kinds of amenities are not easy to replace. If their budget won't get them the kind of space they want in their current area, they need to come to terms with that now.

The fact is there is no real connection between the newer developments like University Commons and the smattering of retail along Halstead. The more established spots along Taylor St that comprise the supporters of the University Village Association, and though I like many of the spots like Hawkeyes for a sports bar I doubt that the experience somebody with a toddler is really looking for. Similarly I still like to get a nice beef and sausage combo at Al's stand-up counters when I'm in the area. Many times after a Sox game I find myself hankering for a tutti-frutti Italian Lemonade at Mario, maybe with a bag of seeds, but the OP is not likely to walk the mile or so across Walter Netsch's still bizarrely sci-fi campus from University Commons ESPECIALLY with a toddler and a new baby! If they want to try to find a place right in the heart of Taylor St I doubt their money will go much farther than in a desirable area like Roscoe Village, but the odds of actually finding people with roots in the area is far higher than among the folks that take the easy path to a shiny newer condo...

Old 04-27-2015, 11:26 AM

49 posts, read 102,164 times
I just want to say thank you so much for all the answers on here. This has been incredibly helpful.

I do TOTALLY love being able to walk outside my door and have commerce at my feet, especially the zoo and the parks, but really just having so much life outside my door has been so fun and even though with a toddler while I don't take advantage of the nightlife, it brings so much to my day to day life by getting me out of the house (as I said, I am new and don't know many people in the city). All that said- it doesn't do me any good when all our money is going to rent.

University Village now seems like a fantastic option. While I would for sure be giving up some things that I love about this area, like all the commerce at my feet, it sounds like the kids club (thanks so much for that recommendation) and downtown area would do a good job of getting me out of the house : )

Thanks, everyone! I love this website and how knowledgeable everyone is.

Also- thanks for the homicide tracker website too....though I stayed up nearly all night looking up crimes everywhere...it is still a good recourse : )

Old 04-27-2015, 07:55 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,103,782 times
According to Wikipedia, University Village is

From Harrison street to 16th street,
from Racine to Dan Ryan.

You know, if you ever been to Arrigo Park in the summer time, you see White women sleeping out/reading on towels in bikinis, sun tanning on the grass. Just knowing that information you know that has got to be a safe neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago