Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2015, 11:45 AM

6 posts, read 7,014 times

Advertisements

Question about the city sticker. If I rent an apartment with off street parking. Do I have to necessary get the city sticker?

If I do get the city sticker. I'll have to get the free truck permit too cuz I have a pickup with b plates. If I get both permits. Am I ok to park in any ward in Chicago (without permit parking of course)? Or am I restricted to only parking in the ward that issued my truck parking permit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 01:15 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
The regulations require all vehicles to have a city sticker. The additional free permit for trucks that are issued to residents are a means to ensure that commercial firms do not monopolize regular parking. If you are parking at a friends in another ward as guest you should be OK, but if you trying to run a business in another ward and you don't have off street parking you will probably run into problems -- City of Chicago, Office of the City Clerk

Old 05-24-2015, 07:12 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmc22391 View Post
Question about the city sticker. If I rent an apartment with off street parking. Do I have to necessary get the city sticker?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmc22391 View Post
If I do get the city sticker. I'll have to get the free truck permit too cuz I have a pickup with b plates. If I get both permits. Am I ok to park in any ward in Chicago (without permit parking of course)? Or am I restricted to only parking in the ward that issued my truck parking permit?
This page says you can park your truck on any residential street provided you get a special truck parking permit from your alderman. The only wards where truck permits are not issued are wards 38 and 39.

However, this "park on any residential street" green-light on the Office of Finance's web site does not square with the actual ordinance (cited below) which says you're only allowed to park it on the street adjacent to your own residence (relevant portion bolded):

9-64-170 Parking restrictions – Special types of vehicles.

(a) It shall be unlawful to park any truck, tractor, semi-trailer, trailer, recreational vehicle more than 22 feet in length, self contained motor home, bus, taxicab or livery vehicle on any residential street for a longer period than is necessary for the reasonably expeditious loading or unloading of such vehicle, except that a driver of bus may park the bus in a designated bus stand as authorized elsewhere in the traffic code; provided, however that in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th, 29th, 30th, 31st, 32nd, 33rd, 34th, 35th, 36th, 37th, 40th, 41st, 42nd, 43rd, 44th, 45th, 46th, 47th, 48th, 49th and 50th wards this prohibition shall not apply to the owner of a pickup truck or van weighing under 4,500 pounds who has no outstanding parking violations, when such vehicle is parked at the curb adjacent to the owners place of residence and the vehicle bears a valid and current city wheel tax license emblem and a special parking permit issued in accordance with this subsection. In the 7th, 15th, 10th, 23rd, 35th, 46th and 50th wards this prohibition also shall not apply to the owner of a taxicab who has no outstanding parking violations, when such vehicle is not in service, when the vehicle is parked at the curb adjacent to the owner's place of residence and when the vehicle bears a valid and current city wheel tax license emblem and a special permit issued in accordance with this subsection. The owner shall apply for a permit for such parking from the alderman of the ward in which he or she resides. The Alderman shall evaluate the vehicle for compliance with relevant provisions of the municipal code and shall issue a special parking permit if the vehicle is believed to be compliant.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:13 AM

6 posts, read 7,014 times
I kinda figured I'd run into multiple sources on the city's webpages with contradicting facts haha.
I have no plans to use it as a business truck or anything like that. I was just wondering about parking in another ward just in case I go to a store or restaurant or friends house that requires street parking in another ward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: