Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 04:59 PM

577 posts, read 669,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
That's just hilarious , London has more crime than Chiraq? This post made my day.

As another European who intended to live in Chicago I can tell you I considered it a bad idea. I found the city run down and scary overall, although down town is really nice. It is very expensive, even compared to the UK(except London), there just isn't any affordable housing for 'European prices', there are lots of homeless people, distances are very large compared to European cities, and it gets way too cold. The crime rates speak for themselves.
Yeah, the crime rates do speak for themselves

Burglary:
London - 8
Chicago - 1.2

Violent crime:
London - 23
Chicago - 10

Car theft:
London - 18
Chicago - 6

The only area that Chicago has higher crime is homicides, 20 vs 1.1. But as anyone who looks into the data knows, most homicides occur in certain areas. Murders are a lot more spread out in London.

It's not "very expensive". It's a LOT cheaper than London, and cheaper than most of the other big US cities like Boston or Seattle.

Run down and scary? Are you serious? Most of the good areas are like Disneyworld compared to the dismal trash heap that makes up most British neighbourhoods. Did you spend a day walking around the loop and West Garfield Park and decide that was enough to convince you?

Also, Chicago might have a few really cold months but at least the city gets a decent amount of sunshine. The UK is grey skies almost every day.

Edit: Looking through your previous posts on here, you just seem to spend your entire time going on about how dangerous all the big cities in America are, because you looked at them on street view and watched some youtube videos about gangs, and how great Europe is in comparison.

Last edited by jwuk45; 09-19-2015 at 05:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 05:11 PM

44 posts, read 51,623 times
To the chagrin of Chicagoans, the closest example I can think for a Brit coming to Chicago is its like New York City with the great food, good public transit options, entertainment 24/7 virtually, but crime is quite a bit more there.

There are many New Yorkers who move to Chicago because its much cleaner, much friendlier (anecdotally) and there's more space. Its arguably got a better skyline and architecture (the only city in the US that can give NYC a run for its money) and you can't beat a massively huge lakefront similar to Miami.

Chicago along with Philadelphia have some of the best bang for your buck anywhere.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:22 PM

8 posts, read 6,844 times
OK, to put things in to some kind of perspective, my last visit to the U.S. was on a work trip to Detroit.
After that, I said I would never live in the U.S. - It was soul destroying.
Can I assume Chicago is A LOT BETTER than that?

Old 09-19-2015, 05:25 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,277,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYmariner View Post
OK, to put things in to some kind of perspective, my last visit to the U.S. was on a work trip to Detroit.
Good grief; yes. Come visit.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:28 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,521,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Good grief; yes. Come visit.
She's not looking for a holiday and has a young kid with her so like anyone she's asking advice

Honestly hope it works out for you op

Old 09-19-2015, 05:40 PM

What the hell is a 'Chuck E Cheese'? - sounds about the most processed food can get?!

Old 09-19-2015, 05:48 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,521,357 times
Op where are you living now London or abroad?

Old 09-19-2015, 05:49 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
What the hell is a 'Chuck E Cheese'? - sounds about the most processed food can get?!
It's a kids game venue for birthday parties. You never have to set foot in one anywhere, but they are around.
The menu is pizza (not a very good one). There are only 2 locations in the city itself, so I am pretty sure they are not popular. There are some in the suburbs. It is noisy and has games and rides (mostly for the younger kids). There is a mouse that performs music for the birthday parties. Some kids love it. Mine never really did.

Where A Kid Can Be A Kid® | Chuck E. Cheese's

Old 09-19-2015, 05:50 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Yes, you can. I don't know what you saw in Detroit though.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Op where are you living now London or abroad?
Moscow! - And you complain about the cold in Chicago! - Grow a pair!:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago