Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,203 times

Advertisements

I'm a single, early 40s professor and thinking about relocating to Beverly from the University Village area. I have two young kids who I split custody with and I'm ready for them to have some more space to move than condo life can provide. Would like to find a place that works for both the 'single' and 'family' parts of my life. Was thinking about Oak Park but recently discovered Beverly and noticed I could get a lot more home for the money. So, obviously I already am leaning. Any thoughts about Beverly vs. Oak Park? Or other areas that might fit my needs? Is Beverly a good place for an academic?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 11:36 AM

867 posts, read 1,371,416 times
Oak Park has better schools but, besides that, great bang for your buck!

Old 05-30-2015, 07:23 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,556 times
I grew up in Hyde Park, now live in Beverly, but/and have visited Oak Park only a few times. The houses and their generous lots in Beverly are indeed a great deal, and it's a safe and pleasant place to live. However, I heard someone from Beverly jokingly describe Oak Park as "just like Beverly, but with stuff to do." There's a lot of truth to that. You'd pay more to live there because of the "stuff to do," but if you are single and did not grow up in Beverly, I suspect you'd be happier in Oak Park. (Beverly has a lot of families who have been here for a long time and have known each other for a long time, so I at least find it a bit harder to break into the social circles - though admittedly I have not tried all that hard.)

All in all, I'd say: Yes, Beverly is attractive and affordable, but I suspect you'd be a lot happier in Oak Park.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
I grew up in Hyde Park, now live in Beverly, but/and have visited Oak Park only a few times. The houses and their generous lots in Beverly are indeed a great deal, and it's a safe and pleasant place to live. However, I heard someone from Beverly jokingly describe Oak Park as "just like Beverly, but with stuff to do." There's a lot of truth to that. You'd pay more to live there because of the "stuff to do," but if you are single and did not grow up in Beverly, I suspect you'd be happier in Oak Park. (Beverly has a lot of families who have been here for a long time and have known each other for a long time, so I at least find it a bit harder to break into the social circles - though admittedly I have not tried all that hard.)

All in all, I'd say: Yes, Beverly is attractive and affordable, but I suspect you'd be a lot happier in Oak Park.
I hear that a lot about Beverly with there being nothing to do. Maybe I'm missing something, what exactly would he be missing out on?

Old 05-31-2015, 06:48 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,556 times
The first thing that comes to mind is restaurants. The fact that lots of Beverly is "dry" means that there really aren't that many nice restaurants (and I am not talking about really expensive or fancy ones) to choose to. I love Top Notch (burgers/diner) and Ellie's, for instance, and Horse Thief Hollow is filling a niche, so it's not that there isn't ANYTHING, but it's pretty slim pickin's when you want to go out.

That lack of options seems to leak over into other retail areas, too, though it's hard to pin down why. I am not a big shopper, but even I notice that there really aren't very many nice shops to go and browse around in -- books, clothing, kitchenware, gifts, etc. And as for entertainment . . . well, the Beverly Arts Center offers a good selection (sometimes), but it feels like it's just about the only game in town, and if you are not interested in what is going on there, then you're stuck.

Last, there is the issue of public transportation to downtown. The Metra is great in some ways, in that the Rock Island line runs right through the center of Beverly, stopping every four blocks. And the rush hour schedule is good. But if you want to go to or from downtown on the weekend . . . ugh. The trains run only every two hours, and believe me, when you just miss the 4:30 pm train on Sunday after an afternoon downtown, it is no fun to be stuck in the Chicago Board of Trade area twiddling your thumbs until 6:30 pm. Or, if it's 9:30 a.m. on a Sunday and you have just realized that you really COULD take the morning and go downtown, it's annoying to realize you have to wait for the 11:15-ish train.

So, that's more of an answer than you wanted, probably, but it's my input, for what it's worth. I should also mention that if you do have kids in school here (probably private Catholic school) then I think you develop much better social ties. We don't have that, so we don't enjoy those benefits.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:25 AM

I think anyone that moves south should understand that a car is necessary. Most of the neighboring towns(Oak Lawn, Evergreen, etc.)have a few offerings, and there are some bright spots around(Mariano's on 95th & 111th)and some coming(Eventual rebuilding of Evergreen Plaza & Cooper 's Hawk on Cicero).

Small quaint shops are lacking, I will agree with you on that!

Old 05-31-2015, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,203 times
I really appreciate this information and the time you all have taken. I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed. I think because of the housing "bang for the buck" I was wanting Beverly to be confirmed as the right choice. If I provide some more information, maybe you'll reconsider?

So, I'm an academic and I work/write from home a lot and would like a really comfortable place for that (as in a home with a great office/library). I live in Little Italy now and it's pretty quiet, but could be even quieter for my taste. My kids only live with me part-time (a bit less than half). They go to school in Chinatown and that's not likely to change with any move of mine. I have a car and commute for work and don't mind driving into downtown for dinner or other events. All of this is to say that I'm not sure "stuff to do" is on the top of my list.

I think I'm more concerned with Gemini's idea that it's difficult to break into a social circle in Beverly. While I can be a fairly private person, I'd like not to feel like an outsider and I'd like to have a social network in my neighborhood. Do others agreee with Gemini on this point?

Old 05-31-2015, 10:30 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
I haven't spent a great deal of time in Beverly, but from what I've seen comparing it to Oak Park is a little like asking if you should drink vodka or grape soda; they are two really different communities. Oak Park is a trendy and urban suburb/practically Chicago neighborhood with a really nice downtown area, while Beverly from what I've seen is almost suburban in character.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:13 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
If you're Irish (and you wear your Irishness on your sleeve), that will help you break into the social circles in Beverly...

Old 11-10-2015, 11:16 PM

12 posts, read 13,199 times
I can't imagine it being that difficult to break into the social circles in Beverly whatever your background. My impression is that if you're a decent person who takes care of himself and his property, you're already more than 50% there. My advice, be outside as much as you can, weather permitting. Sit outside with your garage open (if it's in front, sit on porch if garage is on alley) on Saturday or Sunday and you'll see plenty of folks passing by to talk with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago