Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 02:35 PM

44 posts, read 139,767 times

Advertisements

I would like more details on the financial unpinning of life in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 04:23 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
The crisis is largely due to decisions to forego required pensions payments at the City and state levels -- Why Illinois is Going Bankrupt | TIME.com

Articles: How Democrats Pillaged Chicago Toward Bankruptcy

Quote:
Chicago’s 2015 debt service and annual pension costs amount to 45% of its 2013 revenues.

The Chicago Public Schools have the authority to issue their own bonds and theirs are also at the post-crisis stage.

A city qualifies for bankruptcy when it does not have the revenues to pay its bills. Chicago has qualified for bankruptcy for about 15 years.

Currently the City of Chicago admits to having $26.8 billion of unfunded pension liability. Since there are almost exactly one million households in the city, each household owes the city $26,800 dollars to fund their pensions.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:35 PM

410 posts, read 492,458 times
Just raise the taxes. Boom. We all good.

/sarc

Old 11-20-2015, 06:20 PM

347 posts, read 522,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbking View Post
I would like more details on the financial unpinning of life in Chicago.

Chicago is a strange case in many ways. Its downtown is booming, and real estate in the affluent neighborhoods is doing pretty well also. However, make no mistake about it. Chicago's finances are in horrible shape, along with the entire state of Illinois. As long as there is no resolution to the pension issue, Illinois's finances will continue to be this way. The same applies to the city of Chicago. I've read from numerous sources that the recent tax hike will still not be enough to resolve Chicago's financial woes.

As long as things continue this way, expect more and more of the middle class and middle class jobs to continue leaving both Chicago and Illinois. Notice I'm emphasizing middle class jobs. The very rich will have no problem getting jobs and making money.....and through special tax breaks, Chicago has got some companies to move their headquarters to downtown Chicago. it's just that there is, for the most part, and will only be the very rich and the very poor in Chicago. The middle class in Chicago is shrinking significantly. Unless there is significant change, Chicago will continue to be a tale two cities: 2/3rd Detroit and 1/3rd San Francisco. Note that I'm not saying Chicago will become Detroit. I'm saying that part of it is Detroit. Take a tour of neighborhoods such as Englewood and the west side and see if you don't agree with me.

It's quite sad, actually. Part of me hated to leave and I miss several parts of it....but for my financial well-being and future, I had to leave Chicago and Illinois behind.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The crisis is largely due to decisions to forego required pensions payments at the City and state levels -- Why Illinois is Going Bankrupt | TIME.com

Be careful. You'll be accused of making this a "political discussion".

Old 11-20-2015, 10:04 PM

367 posts, read 488,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

How about cook county suburbs? Are they in as bad shape as Chicago?

Can't they reduce pensions 5-10% and give new hires a 401k plan?

Old 11-20-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Fungus View Post
How about cook county suburbs? Are they in as bad shape as Chicago?

Can't they reduce pensions 5-10% and give new hires a 401k plan?
Pensions all over Illinois are in bad shape, and to answer your question specifically, yes, this would include cook county suburbs.

Your solution is a good one and makes sense. However, unless the politicians in springfield grow some balls, it won't happen.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:46 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
Illinois as a state is in bad shape for this. Life for many people in Chicago is better than it was 6 years ago. For others, may not as true. Unemployment is way down in the last 2 years for the city so that's good, and there's a lot of activity for some neighborhoods in real estate, construction, and business. Not felt all over the city. It hasn't deterred companies from opening jobs in the city yet either - there's still been announcements of companies moving to the city or opening new jobs. We'll see how it all plays out though.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:22 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
Pensions all over Illinois are in bad shape, and to answer your question specifically, yes, this would include cook county suburbs.

Your solution is a good one and makes sense. However, unless the politicians in springfield grow some balls, it won't happen.
The constitution would need to be changed to cut the pensions though.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Illinois as a state is in bad shape for this. Life for many people in Chicago is better than it was 6 years ago. For others, may not as true. Unemployment is way down in the last 2 years for the city so that's good, and there's a lot of activity for some neighborhoods in real estate, construction, and business. Not felt all over the city. It hasn't deterred companies from opening jobs in the city yet either - there's still been announcements of companies moving to the city or opening new jobs. We'll see how it all plays out though.
I agree with this assessment and think it's pretty accurate. I would add the caveat that of the companies that have moved in, several have done so due to special tax breaks, which one could argue come at the expense of the little guy.

It would be best for Chicago and Illinois if they were places that had a naturally healthy business climate for both businesses and workers....and didn't have to engage in what could be argued to be bribery for companies to come there. Rauner letting Quin's ridiculous tax increase expire is a start....but there's still plenty of work to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago