Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the best fit for me
Austin 12 54.55%
Charlotte 1 4.55%
Tampa 4 18.18%
Phoenix 5 22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 02:53 PM

38 posts, read 32,566 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 22 year old male college student graduating in May. I have lived in the Chicago area my entire life, and went to college in the Midwest. I have always despised the winters here, and want to move to a warmer climate. Now is the perfect time for me to do that, as I have no obligations besides getting off to a good start regarding my career, which will be selling insurance.

First, for anybody who has moved away from a cold climate such as Chicago to warmer weather. Did it make a positive impact on your overall happiness? I love being outside, and think a place where I can play golf, outdoor basketball, etc. year round will have a huge impact on my well being. I love being active and eating healthy, and am curious about how much more active/happier you became upon moving to a warm climate.

My priorities for my new city are the following:

1. warm, somewhat nice weather year round. I am okay with it being super hot at times which I know is the case for cities such as Tampa or Austin. Nearby beaches, high quality golf, and other fun outdoor activities are a huge plus
2. a place where I will easily be able to find new friends around my age and can live in a neighborhood (Chicago-Lincoln park-esque)where I will be surrounded by young people similar to myself. I will know very few, perhaps 0 people in the new city that I move to. I am an outgoing person who has made friends rather easily, but am still concerned about meeting new people if I don't know anybody going in.
3. Fun nightlife for a 22 year old. I enjoy going out to drink, and would love a place where there is a great variety of fun bars and restaurants.
4. Nice people that will be open to welcoming new friends. I have never been to California, but have heard bad things (egotistical, conceded) about the people there (would love for people to confirm/deny this).
5. Cost of living matters but isn't huge. I am not too concerned with the economy of the city or state I am moving to. I will be selling insurance in an assigned territory and all cities offer essentially the same opportunities, it just depends on how well I form relationships.

The city which I can move to is not limited, and I will list them in the tiers which I currently have them in. First tier I am most heavily considering, second tier is below that, etc. The only city I have been to is Tampa, and I was only there for a day. I am a very open-minded person and believe I will like any of the below cities, but would love to hear insight from people within the forum. I also understand that I will need a car for my new city, and have no problem with buying a car upon moving.

First tier: Tampa, Austin, Charlotte, Phoenix

Second tier: Nashville, Los Angeles, Dallas

Third tier: Sunrise, FL....Houston, San Fran, Irvine

Based on my description, I would love to hear from people which city they see as the best fit!

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 06:01 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,234,948 times
I would suggest looking into Nashville and maybe Charlotte. For me, Austin (and Phoenix for that matter) would be out because of the intensely hot summers. I know you mentioned you don't mind hot temps, but one thing you might not be prepared for is how relentless the heat can be down south. You don't get many breaks from the heat in the summertime. Although temperatures are plenty warm in Nashville and Charlotte in the summer, the weather is far more tolerable, IMO.

Nashville and Charlotte have a large percentage of young professionals, and they both offer plenty of nightlife options and are growing steadily. Nashville is a current "It" city that places highly in various polls. It also has a reputation for being a lot of fun (more so than Charlotte) and having a lot of "cool" neighborhoods close to downtown. It's also the closest to Chicago of the cities you listed, so you could easily take a drive there for a visit to see if you like it.

Edit: I've only been to Tampa once, and that was a long time ago. Access to the beaches is a nice perk, to be sure, but I haven't heard all that many good things about the city from people who've lived there.

Last edited by stillinthesouth; 01-16-2016 at 06:10 PM..

Old 01-16-2016, 06:13 PM

I have only heard positive things about Nashville, and have also heard the city offers plenty of "cool" neighborhoods near the downtown area. I'm not sure I would be ready for the relentless heat that Tampa, Austin or Phoenix would offer, but I think it would be worth it for me when I'm golfing in January!

Thanks so much for your response, I greatly appreciate it.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:19 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,234,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemm View Post
I have only heard positive things about Nashville, and have also heard the city offers plenty of "cool" neighborhoods near the downtown area. I'm not sure I would be ready for the relentless heat that Tampa, Austin or Phoenix would offer, but I think it would be worth it for me when I'm golfing in January!

Thanks so much for your response, I greatly appreciate it.
Yeah, winters are beautiful in Austin and Phoenix. I could probably get used to Austin because it's not quite as hot as Phoenix. When I visited Phoenix in September once, the temp was 113 degrees! But it's a dry heat, as they say

Old 01-21-2016, 10:38 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,551 times
Actually, at your age, you should STAY in the city. Move to the northside, get an apt with some buddies and enjoy the city life until you're about 30, then move somewhere because once you leave, you probably won't move back.

I loved my life in the 20's living it up on the Nside, not having to worry about kids, mortgages, and other major responsibilities.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:12 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,222,609 times
Nashville is a blast. A ridiculously high percentage of the ladies there are incredibly attractive as well.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:04 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times
Climate won't make you happy. Think again about your life and see what you really need.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Actually, at your age, you should STAY in the city. Move to the northside, get an apt with some buddies and enjoy the city life until you're about 30, then move somewhere because once you leave, you probably won't move back.

I loved my life in the 20's living it up on the Nside, not having to worry about kids, mortgages, and other major responsibilities.

Thanks for the suggestion. The city would be fun but I'm very set I'm trying out something different!

Old 01-21-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Nashville is a blast. A ridiculously high percentage of the ladies there are incredibly attractive as well.
I've only heard great things about Nashville, thanks for the advice

Old 01-21-2016, 01:24 PM

Thank you for the input ToriaT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: