Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 12:57 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times

Advertisements

^ Because they don't want to be downtown because last time they stayed downtown, they could hear sirens at night and kep tthem up. Anyway, there are many hotels downtown that have good enough windows and walls to keep a lot of the sound out.

AirBnb is a good option anyway. if I were the OP, I would look for a place with a parking spot in an area like Ukrainian Village or Wicker Park, but away from the busy nightlife areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 02:32 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,133,399 times
Longman and Eagle in Logan Square has a B&B. Might be worth checking out. Of course parking in that area is an issue.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:15 PM

401 posts, read 319,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
the reason you're not finding airbnb homes near the united center with 4 seperate BR's is because those homes would run at least half a million dollars (in that area), and even if you were to find one, they are going to charge you out the ass.
Actually I did find some, I needed to figure out the filter and then they showed up. They are all pretty cheap, the most expensive one is $400 a night but I did find a few that sleep 5 people for $100-$200 a night!

Old 01-20-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
There is a Marriott at UIC/Medical District that is right down the street from the United Center. Address is 625 South Ashland Ave. I don't know anything about the parking situation, and it may be pretty expensive but that is the only traditional hotel that is close to the United Center.
That was the first one I checked, $200 a night=too much.

The people going with me are ok with the AirBnB one, I did find a few within walking distance for less than $200 a night, plus it would be even cheaper since that cost would be split 5 ways, unlike a hotel where we'd need 3 separate rooms.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

If the OP already has a car it is not too difficult to use the lodging facilities in HILLSIDE IL -- a straight shot west (just about 11 miles and generally under 20 minutes when road conditions are clear) on 290 these places are around $75 before discounts like AAA have FREE PARKING and safe rooms, I have referred business travels to each of these and they are acceptable:

Chicago - Hillside Hotel | Extended Stay America

Hillside Hotels Near Chicago O Hare Airport | Best Western Hillside Hotel

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chicago West-O'Hare Arpt Area Hotel in Hillside, Illinois - Hillside Hotels
I will check into those too, thanks! Then we'll just have to decide if being right by United Center is worth it.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Thanks for the heads up. He's one of my favorite guitarists ever. Love his work in Pink Floyd and solo too.
He's playing 2 or 3 nights there, maybe you could still get tickets!

Quote:
Wicker Park is NOT west of the United Center. It's north of it - in fact it's almost due north of it. It's a cool area with a number of shops, bars, and restaurants - and mostly safe for a visitor. Sometimes some weird things happen at night, but not usually. There's a lot of people out in certain areas there.
Ok I can see that now when I do a google search...what confused me was some of the AirBnB rentals that were west of United Center said they were in the Wicker Park area, maybe they were saying that just to get people to rent from them.

Quote:
I just dropped you a massive hint. Why didn't you take it? Go to Hotwire.com, and look. I just looked on those dates and almost all of the rates that came up were under $200/night. Many of them were under $150/night and some even under $100/night. However, all of them are downtown which you seem to have an issue with (for the record though, a lot of hotels have the sound thing figured out - it's not like everyone who comes to down is used to living somewhere with some noise).
Well by that time, I already found cheap places on AirBnB and realized what an awesome deal that is, to the point where ANY hotel, no matter how cheap, wouldn't be as cool. I want all of us to be in the same building so we can interact and hang out the entire time. Plus these are closer to United Center than any hotels are.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
I don't understand the need to be near the united center. Seems like you're driving to the concert, so whether you're five minutes or thirty min away doesn't seem like a big deal.

Plus, staying with a group means airbnb will likely have far better options than a hotel.

See here, for example:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6863178...99cc95dffb0147
We want to be close so we can walk to it, because nobody wants to drive if they don't have to, Chicago is crazy, we're from a small town, lol

That one looks nice, but there are some that sleep as many that are a lot cheaper.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:12 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,104,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaiaGoddess View Post
We want to be close so we can walk to it, because nobody wants to drive if they don't have to, Chicago is crazy, we're from a small town, lol

That one looks nice, but there are some that sleep as many that are a lot cheaper.
Uber/cabs. I wouldn't recommend walking to/from the show to Wicker Park either.

Stay in an area a brief cab ride away, and you can walk everywhere else while you're here.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:41 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,222,763 times
Unless you are staying east of the United Center, I wouldn't recommend walking there. The areas surrounding the UC aren't exactly dangerous like they were 20 years ago but they aren't the best areas in the city. I'd opt for a cab or uber. There also isn't much in the way of restaurants and bars in the immediate vicinity.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:03 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Mostly agree ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Unless you are staying east of the United Center, I wouldn't recommend walking there. The areas surrounding the UC aren't exactly dangerous like they were 20 years ago but they aren't the best areas in the city. I'd opt for a cab or uber. There also isn't much in the way of restaurants and bars in the immediate vicinity.
If the OP does decide to follow my advice and find a $75/night hotel room in HILLSIDE it is very easy to DRIVE that same vehicle to United Center and park for a pretty standard fee (generally twenty bucks for a block or two away in a lot that is legitimately monitored). If they want to be even closer to the entrance of United Center the prices go up. Getting to the venue early is not a bad idea and there are some spots to eat / grab a drink very nearby -- there is a Billy Goat Tavern located a few blocks away, as well as spot called The Ogden, and a Brazil-themed spot called Sinha. In warmer weather you could easily get down to Taylor St that has far more options, but in the colder weather I would not recommend the effort...

United Center itself has a wide range of options for drinks and food before most events. The management is happy to allow folks in well before the event, though the do tend to like to clear the place out after the shows quickly. The nearby spots to eat and drink are open later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago