Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 12:55 PM

60 posts, read 127,689 times

Advertisements

Unless the tracks are right next to the building, I wouldn't think the noise would be much of a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 04:39 PM

103 posts, read 151,046 times
That's the Latin Kings/Satan Disciples border

Old 04-26-2016, 09:13 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I recall a would-be hipster that participated in the forums here reporting that he was branded a "child molester" by those that do not want outsiders living in Little Village.

It is generally a terrible idea to try to be a landlord in a community that they have no ability to communicate with the likely tenants. Even with a trustworthy "manager" that is bilingual there are issues with how one can ensures all legal requirements are met before either tenants of landlord head to the courts...
This is definitely a concern and I cautioned against it in an earlier thread. This said, the area right around Douglas Park and the far eastern portions of Little Village might not be bad for a small beans investor. Pilsen and Humboldt Park are crawling with big fish now and it's very difficult to get a good property there unless you have some kind of insider angle. And even then you may get beat out by a portfolio investor willing to pay more than the property is worth in cash. In LV and near DP, you can pull good stuff off the MLS still.

If you fixed a solid place up and advertised it correctly you'd probably be able to get hipsters. I don't think I'd try to get much deeper into LV or DP beyond a few blocks west of the border though.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:19 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
If you fixed a solid place up and advertised it correctly you'd probably be able to get hipsters.
I don't get it, any White landlord renting in a Mexican landlord should try to rent to hipsters?

Hipsters are the type of White people that these bilingual Mexicans are most racist against. You're better off renting to yuppies. Or just non-hipster type White people.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
I don't get it, any White landlord renting in a Mexican landlord should try to rent to hipsters?

Hipsters are the type of White people that these bilingual Mexicans are most racist against. You're better off renting to yuppies. Or just non-hipster type White people.
There really is no such thing as a "yuppie" anymore. Yuppies were generally part of the late Baby Boom and early/mid Gen X, which means the youngest of these "young" professionals are well into their 40s by now.

Nor would a yuppie live anywhere near Little Village or Douglas Park anyway. They favoured places like Lakeview, Roscoe Village, and Lincoln Park when they were younger and living in the city.

Why are bilingual Mexicans racist against hipsters? And why would they find yuppies to be less objectionable? Hipsters at least want to live in diverse neighborhoods. No, those 'hoods don't stay diverse once they move in, but most hipsters would probably prefer that they would.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:19 PM

291 posts, read 277,243 times
A lot of hipsters are really just yuppies in different clothes though.

They don't really want to live in a diverse neighborhood, they just want to be around a lot of bars, coffee shops, restaurants and other people similar to them. Last year or the year before, one of the Chicago mags did a breakdown of the Wicker Park hipster-bro which is basically the Chicago form of what I'm talking about.

IDK which type of hipsters Mexicans hate, though. The yuppie-hipsters or the "real" hipsters. All I know is you don't want to be in a group that Mexicans don't like if you live in a Mexican area because everyone will call you a pedophile until you cry.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Harold View Post
A lot of hipsters are really just yuppies in different clothes though.

They don't really want to live in a diverse neighborhood, they just want to be around a lot of bars, coffee shops, restaurants and other people similar to them. Last year or the year before, one of the Chicago mags did a breakdown of the Wicker Park hipster-bro which is basically the Chicago form of what I'm talking about.

IDK which type of hipsters Mexicans hate, though. The yuppie-hipsters or the "real" hipsters. All I know is you don't want to be in a group that Mexicans don't like if you live in a Mexican area because everyone will call you a pedophile until you cry.
Wicker Park is a very expensive area now. Little difference demographically between those there and those in the wealthy white neighborhoods. Maybe some differences philosophically. Those whites moving into the neighborhoods we're talking about here are Millennial hipsters who are into life experience and usually employed in the service sector, or they are in school. They are usually very liberal, prone to white guilt, and abhor discrimination, against people of color and the poor anyway. More than a little ironic given how the Mexicans apparently treat them.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:53 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Why are bilingual Mexicans racist against hipsters?
Well by bilinguals I meant the gang bangers. So that's Mexicans and Puerto Rican gang bangers.

And statistically enough, hipsters brings trans into the hoods. I was at the McDonald's in Humboldt Park last weekend and there came a White man dressed as a woman. I've also seen a man dress in a bikini in Pilsen.

I don't think hipsters are the type of White people that are compatible with Latin and Black folks.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:59 PM

291 posts, read 277,243 times
A white guy in a bikini at McDonalds in Humboldt Park is most likely a meth head, not a hipster.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Well by bilinguals I meant the gang bangers. So that's Mexicans and Puerto Rican gang bangers.

And statistically enough, hipsters brings trans into the hoods. I was at the McDonald's in Humboldt Park last weekend and there came a White man dressed as a woman. I've also seen a man dress in a bikini in Pilsen.

I don't think hipsters are the type of White people that are compatible with Latin and Black folks.
Even if they voted Bernie? Most did, and would take a bullet for the rights of the Latino and Black folks you now claim regard them with disdain. Many have even marched against gentrification in the 'hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago