Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 07:44 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,117,141 times

Advertisements

I am too busy too look for work, but how is everyone else's experience in looking for a job, in or out of your field / degree / or specialty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 05:45 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,993,092 times
This time of year, as usual, the mortgage industry is heavily recruiting. I'm not looking.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:39 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,703,551 times
Anecdotally, it seems strong. We are hiring in our office. Two new positions. Seems hard to find people. Chicagoetro is at an all time high for jobs and still growing even with all our government made problems.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:12 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,107,778 times
I apply to jobs in the food and chemistry industry, it's never going good for me. Maybe an interview once every couple of months. Many scientific recruiting companies never contact me. Jobs I apply to are lab technicians and Q.A. technicians.

B.S. chemistry, minor in computer science, and I have a HACCP certificate.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:17 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,178,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
I apply to jobs in the food and chemistry industry, it's never going good for me. Maybe an interview once every couple of months. Many scientific recruiting companies never contact me. Jobs I apply to are lab technicians and Q.A. technicians.

B.S. chemistry, minor in computer science, and I have a HACCP certificate.
With a minor in computer science you could probably get a job doing web QA work for tech companies. Basic entry level for that is probably in the $40k range, if you could spin any of your lab QA work into relevant experience you might be able to start in the $50k-upper-$60k range, and with a few years of actual experience, especially if you got into scripting automation, you may be able to command $80k. With 5+ years of hard scripting automation with Python or something similar you may be able to break into six figures, at least if you broke into the financial industry.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:10 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
There is little doubt that Chicago is lagging other metropolitan regions when it comes to job growth. Even the very "boosterish" Greg Hinz admits that -- Where The Jobs Are and Aren't |Crain Chicago Business

The fact is that Chicago remains the most unbalanced metro area when it comes to important categories like minority employment -- Illinois Has The Nation's Highest African-American Jobless Rate For Second Straight Quarter | Progress Illinois

Despite positive gains in healthcare, the data shows Chicago area manufacturing continuing to decline -- Chicago Area Employment - May 2016 : Midwest Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

A similarly woefully underreported issue is the constant shift of once high wage IT jobs to out sourcing -- Publisher of LA Times and Chicago Tribune sends IT jobs overseas | Computerworld

Similar trends are a continuing worry for core employment in what was a centerpiece of Chicago's economic strength, as "hog butcher to the world" sees more and more jobs in the important food sector shift overseas that paints a bleak picture that will send ripples through the region -- As Nabisco Ships 600 Jobs Out of Chicago to Mexico, Maybe It’s Time To Give Up Oreos

The most ominous development is that as increasingly sophisticated approaches to AI transform once staid sectors such as law and finance the true impact upon even the most highly paid workers in the region may be felt as an abrupt shock just as the gathering storms of governmental fiscal recklessness converge to lower wages and total employment -- the same sort of shifts tht have made so many factory workers obsolete could very well see legions of white collar end up with no hope of sustainting the earnings that have made possible their comfortable lives. The vast scale of Chicago's broad law / business services sector could be severely impacted Are we facing a future of stagnant income and worsening inequality? |MIT Technology Review

Old 07-20-2016, 02:12 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,194,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Despite positive gains in healthcare, the data shows Chicago area manufacturing continuing to decline -- Chicago Area Employment - May 2016 : Midwest Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Was anyone expecting the manufacturing sector to grow? Those jobs have been on the way out for decades nationwide, and there will be even less of them in the future.

Contrary to Trump's promises, they're not coming back.

Quote:
The most ominous development is that as increasingly sophisticated approaches to AI transform once staid sectors such as law and finance the true impact upon even the most highly paid workers in the region may be felt as an abrupt shock just as the gathering storms of governmental fiscal recklessness converge to lower wages and total employment -- the same sort of shifts tht have made so many factory workers obsolete could very well see legions of white collar end up with no hope of sustainting the earnings that have made possible their comfortable lives. The vast scale of Chicago's broad law / business services sector could be severely impacted Are we facing a future of stagnant income and worsening inequality? |MIT Technology Review
The legal market nationwide has been in chaos since the recession. It has not recovered from the recession, although it has gotten better. It may never fully recover, tbh.

Hiring and salaries remain down, but law school has never been more expensive. If you want a shock, just go look at the Chicago area law school employment stats and salary stats at graduation. Northwestern and UChicago weathered the storm that was the recession as they are some of the nation's top law schools, but Loyola, Chicago-Kent, DePaul, and John Marshall all took a beating. Chicago is also the third largest legal market in the country, only behind NYC and DC to my knowledge.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:58 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,703,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Was anyone expecting the manufacturing sector to grow? Those jobs have been on the way out for decades nationwide, and there will be even less of them in the future.

Contrary to Trump's promises, they're not coming back.
Trump is an idiot. Only the uneducated would consider voting for him. I can't find numbers earlier than 1996, but the US had 17.2 Million manufacturing jobs in June/96 vs. 12.2 Million June/2016. The jobs won't come back. The biggest loss of the 5 Million (about 4 million jobs) jobs was during the Bush II Presidency.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:11 PM

796 posts, read 932,579 times
I work remotely for a company that makes hospital quality software. I am actively looking. I'd take another job with another software company or hospital or health system. I haven't had too much luck however so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: