Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago is more like...
Philly, NYC, and Boston 139 76.37%
Indianapolis, Columbus, and Kansas City 43 23.63%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 03:15 PM

5,975 posts, read 13,112,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Does the DC metro today include Baltimore? At some point over the last two decades the cities have merged into the same metro area as they are only 41 miles apart per google and the area is really about the same size as LA County.

Outside of NY it is the biggest metro area on the East Coast now and should be one of the big 4. Chicago/LA/NYC/Washington DC Metro.
Yes. As a combined metro area (which is the best indicator as far as access suburban residents have to amenities and opportunities within commutable distance DC-Baltimore is basically equivalent to Chicagoland. (8-10 million CSA populations).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Validation from who, exactly? Seems like it's people on the coasts berating the Midwest because THEY need validation. This whole forum is a bubble...
Whenever Chicago has to compete with coastal cities/metro areas, then all of the sudden Chicago is part of the midwest in defensiveness opposition to "coastal elites" or whatever but when talking about within the midwest, Chicagoans don't give any credit or respect to other midwest cities/metro areas.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:38 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Yes. As a combined metro area (which is the best indicator as far as access suburban residents have to amenities and opportunities within commutable distance DC-Baltimore is basically equivalent to Chicagoland. (8-10 million CSA populations).
No one outside of city data believes DC and Baltimore are a single metro. It's stupid. No one from Baltimore will tell you they live in the DC metro area, and no one in Washington DC, except the people who happen to post here and use CSA in dick-measuring contests thing D.C.-Baltimore is a thing.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
No one outside of city data believes DC and Baltimore are a single metro. It's stupid. No one from Baltimore will tell you they live in the DC metro area, and no one in Washington DC, except the people who happen to post here and use CSA in dick-measuring contests thing D.C.-Baltimore is a thing.
That would be fine if residents of Chicagolands collar counties don't claim Chicago as where they are from, and those outside Illinois don't see residents of DuPage and Lake as "city people". Things need to be consistent.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:29 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
That would be fine if residents of Chicagolands collar counties don't claim Chicago as where they are from, and those outside Illinois don't see residents of DuPage and Lake as "city people". Things need to be consistent.
I agree with you that it's annoying when people from the far suburbs claim to be from the city, but that is the point he's making.....Chicagoland is a "unified" metro. People from as far out as Lake/DuPage county get Chicago news stations, root for Chicago teams, and "claim Chicago" as you mention. It's a single, unified metro.

Which is completely different from a DC-Baltimore metro. DC people don't get Baltimore news, don't root for Baltimore teams, certainly would never claim Baltimore, and don't care or even think about what happens in Baltimore (the opposite is true as well in terms of Baltimore's thoughts towards DC). It's not a unified metro. That is the point he was making.

If you are going just based on the numbers, then there's no argument that DC-Baltimore is an equivalent sized metro that will soon be bigger than Chicagoland.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:41 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Validation from who, exactly? Seems like it's people on the coasts berating the Midwest because THEY need validation. This whole forum is a bubble...
Isn't it ironic that a DC poster is claiming Chicago feels it needs validation when 2 DC posters come into a thread on a Chicago forum that doesn't even mention their city; to completely change the topic of the thread by crying about how their city isn't included with the NE cities in the comparison??? Ha...go figure. If that's not insecurity, I don't know what is! City Data never seeks to amaze me!!!

Old 10-15-2016, 10:35 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Isn't it ironic that a DC poster is claiming Chicago feels it needs validation when 2 DC posters come into a thread on a Chicago forum that doesn't even mention their city; to completely change the topic of the thread by crying about how their city isn't included with the NE cities in the comparison??? Ha...go figure. If that's not insecurity, I don't know what is! City Data never seeks to amaze me!!!
I don't even understand the butthurt some DC people have toward Chicago on this forum. How often do Chicago people venture into DC forums and try to change the conversation into Chicago?

And for the person who said it's not fair to measure Chicago metro against DC or Baltimore in isolation (not some odd combined dual city metro), how does it become fair to stack two cities against one? Let's play it your way and now include Milwaukee in our metro because the travel time is comparable. But do Chicago people ever need to use Milwaukee to validate themselves? No. Neither do Milwaukee people for that matter.

But you have small numbers of constantly triggered DC posters who need to inflate their city so they come in and say that Baltimore needs to be included to make it a fair comparison. Do you realize doing so makes you seem like you have an inferiority complex? Funny thing is I don't see Baltimore posters ever need to latch on to DC to feel important. Strange because to be honest most people would pick DC over Baltimore any day. Yet Baltimore posters don't tend to really care about what Chicago people think (and why would they?)

Hey. DC is a fine city. Better climate than Chicago, mote proximity to mountains and the ocean. Geographically located close to multiple regions (Northeast, South, and Midwest), low levels of obesity, high levels of minority achievement, amazing public transport system, and a high livability index and personal happiness. No one is knocking your precious city-state.

Chicago doesn't have any real cultural difference to its suburbs other than the suburbs have less transplants. DC and Baltimore while sharing a similar culture do have a lot of their own unique quirks that make them stand on their own. It's not like the suburbs of Chicago have different food than the city or different linguistics.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:25 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Philly, NYC, and Boston all have rapid transit and commuter rail in several directions, making a downtown commute almost a breeze. Of the Midwest cities mentioned, only KC has any rail transit. The East coast cities all have ports, as does Chicago. Again, only KC has one. MLB teams, same story. The only way Chicago resembles the three Midwest cities is its more spread out. Bottom line: more like the East coast, and Kansas City comes closest to being like Chicago.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:40 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Eh... Really, none of the above.

Chicago is its own beast. It has a very unique combination of the older urban settlements but had the luxury of foresight. Alleyways, for example. The way buildings are placed to allow for a certain sense of space rather than the mad slapdash construction that occurred in Manhattan.

It also has a superior grid for traffic. Before you burn me alive, believe me, I know traffic is horrendous. But last week I was in Manhattan and on a major goddamn avenue, all traffic had to come to a halt because two delivery trucks were blocking lanes. There was nowhere else for them to delivery inventory, and so we all had to wait.

On the same subject, there's a gorgeous grid pattern that is criss-crossed with diagonal streets/avenues. Again, the luxury of foresight.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:37 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Eh... Really, none of the above.

Chicago is its own beast. It has a very unique combination of the older urban settlements but had the luxury of foresight. Alleyways, for example. The way buildings are placed to allow for a certain sense of space rather than the mad slapdash construction that occurred in Manhattan.

It also has a superior grid for traffic. Before you burn me alive, believe me, I know traffic is horrendous. But last week I was in Manhattan and on a major goddamn avenue, all traffic had to come to a halt because two delivery trucks were blocking lanes. There was nowhere else for them to delivery inventory, and so we all had to wait.

On the same subject, there's a gorgeous grid pattern that is criss-crossed with diagonal streets/avenues. Again, the luxury of foresight.
Philly is designed on a grid the same way Chicago is. Most of your comparisons were to New York only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago