Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 11:13 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,465,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Any actual concrete evidence that this has happened?
There are plenty of studies on this. Here are a couple..

https://news.uci.edu/research/minimu...udy-reaffirms/

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/44995

Per the latter study, the $10.10 option would cost 1/2 million jobs. the $9 option would cost 100k jobs. So per the Congressional Budget Office, there is a definite correlation between job losses and raising the minimum wage. I don't think anyone can seriously dispute this.

No one studied the $13 option for one county located in a large metropolitan area which has border counties without such a rule. I imagine because most would think that would be laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 11:20 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,106,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
There are plenty of studies on this. Here are a couple..

https://news.uci.edu/research/minimu...udy-reaffirms/

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/44995

Per the latter study, the $10.10 option would cost 1/2 million jobs. the $9 option would cost 100k jobs. So per the Congressional Budget Office, there is a definite correlation between job losses and raising the minimum wage. I don't think anyone can seriously dispute this.

No one studied the $13 option for one county located in a large metropolitan area which has border counties without such a rule. I imagine because most would think that would be laughable.
McDonald's almost 2 years ago, laid off 63 employees at their headquarters.

McDonald's to cut 63 headquarters jobs in cost reduction | Reuters

(Not due to the minimum wage increse.). It was just to reduce costs.

I saw an article that even Macy's plans to close 100 stores nationwide. Same with Staples.

Posted this summer, McDonald's lays off 70 employees in their accounting place in Ohio:

Layoffs loom at McDonald

Now this below article, is directly to the minimum wage:

McDonald’s CEO warns $15 minimum wage will lead to ‘massive layoffs’ as fast food industry replaces workers with self-serve kiosks

Former McDonald’s CEO Ed Rensi believes that a $15 minimum wage will push companies to set up self-service kiosks to save money.

In 2011, McDonald’s ordered over 7,000 kiosks to replace employees in European countries where costs are higher.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
McDonald's almost 2 years ago, laid off 63 employees at their headquarters.

McDonald's to cut 63 headquarters jobs in cost reduction | Reuters

(Not due to the minimum wage increse.). It was just to reduce costs.

I saw an article that even Macy's plans to close 100 stores nationwide. Same with Staples.

Posted this summer, McDonald's lays off 70 employees in their accounting place in Ohio:

Layoffs loom at McDonald

Now this below article, is directly to the minimum wage:

McDonald’s CEO warns $15 minimum wage will lead to ‘massive layoffs’ as fast food industry replaces workers with self-serve kiosks

Former McDonald’s CEO Ed Rensi believes that a $15 minimum wage will push companies to set up self-service kiosks to save money.

In 2011, McDonald’s ordered over 7,000 kiosks to replace employees in European countries where costs are higher.
Wages are a market, driven by supply and demand. When the gov't has to intervene to ensure people get a living wage, that means something is seriously broken. Raising the minimum wage is just a band aid. It also won't help because employers who are subject to it will simply lay off or not hire workers, or, in this case, simply relocate to a neighboring Chicagoland county or NW Indiana.

The real solution is to attract good paying manufacturing and other jobs back to the area, which will create a demand for low skilled labor and raise wage rates through natural market forces; i.e. labor will be in greater demand so the price for labor will go up across the board.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:39 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,168,875 times
The facts, the evidence, performed on local areas who have raised their minimum wages shows an increase in hiring and an increase in business profits. It's been a win-win for everyone.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...-minimum-wages

"ECONOMICS
Doomsayers Keep Getting It Wrong on Higher Minimum Wages
OCT 21, 2016 1:38 PM EDT
By
Barry Ritholtz
In 2014, Seattle passed an ordinance to eventually raise the minimum wage in the city to $15 an hour, giving the Pacific Northwest city the highest pay floor in the U.S.

The ink wasn’t even dry on the wage legislation when the dire warnings of economic collapse began. Unemployment would skyrocket, economic growth in the state would be hurt, restaurants and small businesses would close en masse. The deserved punishment would be swift and harsh.

But a funny thing happened on Seattle’s way to economic collapse: the city thrived. Restaurants didn’t close -- they actually prospered -- and new restaurant openings rose. Unemployment fell, most recently to less than 4 percent, more than a full percentage point lower than the national rate. By all accounts, the city on the Puget Sound is booming.

How did the doomsayers get it so wrong? "

Old 10-31-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
The facts, the evidence, performed on local areas who have raised their minimum wages shows an increase in hiring and an increase in business profits. It's been a win-win for everyone.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...-minimum-wages

"ECONOMICS
Doomsayers Keep Getting It Wrong on Higher Minimum Wages
OCT 21, 2016 1:38 PM EDT
By
Barry Ritholtz
In 2014, Seattle passed an ordinance to eventually raise the minimum wage in the city to $15 an hour, giving the Pacific Northwest city the highest pay floor in the U.S.

The ink wasn’t even dry on the wage legislation when the dire warnings of economic collapse began. Unemployment would skyrocket, economic growth in the state would be hurt, restaurants and small businesses would close en masse. The deserved punishment would be swift and harsh.

But a funny thing happened on Seattle’s way to economic collapse: the city thrived. Restaurants didn’t close -- they actually prospered -- and new restaurant openings rose. Unemployment fell, most recently to less than 4 percent, more than a full percentage point lower than the national rate. By all accounts, the city on the Puget Sound is booming.

How did the doomsayers get it so wrong? "
Oh, they "prospered." Sounds like someone's opinion more than science. And the 4% unemployment rate they cite is total unemployment across all sectors. The job growth in higher wage sectors in that region could be offsetting job losses in the low wage sectors, which could result in an overall lower unemployment rate even if the minimum wage increase was having negative effects.

A recent study by the University of Washington does, in fact, mention this, stating that a surging regional economy in the Seattle area has made the impact of the minimum wage increase difficult to isolate.

Minimum Wage Study: Effects of Seattle wage hike modest, may be overshadowed by strong economy | UW Today

Does Chicago have a surging regional economy? In what I call the Emerald City, maybe slightly. But how about the south and west sides? You think the increase is going to help in those areas? I guess the good thing about the Cook County mandate, if you can call it good, is that we'll be able to see job losses more clearly and thus gain evidence that these minimum wage increases, while well intentioned, do not work as intended. As the Washington University study said:

Although the ordinance appears to have boosted wages for the city’s lowest-paid workers, the benefits of the increase may have been partly offset by fewer hours worked per person and slightly less overall employment, the Seattle Minimum Wage Study research team found. Estimated income gains for the average worker were modest – on the order of a few dollars a week – and sensitive to methodological choices.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:09 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,106,492 times
Quote:
Sounds like someone's opinion more than science.
Well it says in the article's url that it's a "view."

Also, at the bottom:

This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.

Anyways, I do believe that certain businesses will go up as people who are paid minimum wage, get raises.

I think the vast majority of Chicagoans (and I'm not talking White Chicagoans, I'm talking all races) will, what will they increase spending on if they had a raise? Why, more money for alcohol, beer, and cigarettes.

Certain local restaurants that cater to poor people may have businesses go up (like local taco restaurants). But that doesn't mean the Signature Room will see an uptick in customers dining out. In fact, most restaurants have to increase the prices of some of their items when minimum wage goes up - it's just a matter of - who are the minimum wage workers, and what are they willing to spend their money on? My vote goes to drugs.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Well it says in the article's url that it's a "view."

Also, at the bottom:

This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.

Anyways, I do believe that certain businesses will go up as people who are paid minimum wage, get raises.

I think the vast majority of Chicagoans (and I'm not talking White Chicagoans, I'm talking all races) will, what will they increase spending on if they had a raise? Why, more money for alcohol, beer, and cigarettes.

Certain local restaurants that cater to poor people may have businesses go up (like local taco restaurants). But that doesn't mean the Signature Room will see an uptick in customers dining out. In fact, most restaurants have to increase the prices of some of their items when minimum wage goes up - it's just a matter of - who are the minimum wage workers, and what are they willing to spend their money on? My vote goes to drugs.
At the core, this is, essentially, an attempt to transfer wealth, which is ongoing liberal policy. I don't want to get into a debate about the morals of this, and we don't really have to here. The bottom line is that, most likely, real world take home pay will not rise by that much, if at all. Employers will give fewer hours and benefits to existing employees and will hire fewer new employees. And those who can do so will open up shop in neighboring counties with lower minimum wages.

Old 10-31-2016, 02:53 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,321,711 times
Quote:
So basically, the rich don't ever take a hit. If they were forced to pay their employees higher wages, then they would lay more people off.
Besides which, it's not really accurate to characterize all employers as "the rich".

Many small-business owners certainly are not rich. If minimum wage goes up, they might be forced to lay off employees just to make ends meet.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:16 PM

I think macroeconomics and microeconomics should be a requirement for liberal arts degrees, as well as bachelor of science degrees.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:49 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,664,891 times
Quote:
I think macroeconomics and microeconomics should be a requirement for liberal arts degrees, as well as bachelor of science degrees.
I took both as an undergraduate, as well as econometrics. And those courses were taken at a university quite famous for its economists.

Economics is always wrong. Always. A fundamental flaw in the field is the extreme disconnect between the bull**** theory and subsequent failure to course correct. It is never the economist's fault; it is always a "failure of the model" in one sense or another.

There was quite recently a book published on this very subject: the failure of macroeconomics. Even more recently, there was an amusing tiff between two world-renowned economists over this subject.

I do not know how many people stay in touch with economists-- they have blogs these days-- but the field has never been regarded with less respect than it is right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago