Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Chicago's Mayor seek Federal help in its gsngland murders as Trump suggested?
Yes 43 76.79%
No 13 23.21%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 09:21 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,472,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
There are a handful of neighborhoods in Chicago which have seen, in 2016, more murders than all of NYC, LA, and SF COMBINED. I think we are getting pretty close to military state being the only solution to stopping the killing spree.
FYI...

Shot & Killed: 714
Shot & Wounded: 3665
Total Shot: 4379
Total Homicides: 796

2016 Stats | Chicago Murder, Crime & Mayhem | HeyJackass!

This is completely unacceptable. Decades of liberal policies have brought us to this point. Time to try something else. Of course, I'm not 100% sold on the military being the answer either. I think all that may do is shuffle the problem somewhere else, sort of like the blue light cameras do, just on a broader scale. It'll make Chicago better, but someone else is just going to have to deal with the problem. Probably poor suburbs with very limited resources.

But at this point, what else is there? The best thing would be to bring back manufacturing jobs but that's going to take time, and even if it happened, is it going to cure the culturally based social ills which are causing this?

Last edited by BRU67; 01-11-2017 at 09:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 09:30 AM

And, of course, you're right. It's happening in just a handful of neighborhoods. Per my link above, in 2016:

Austin - 92 homicides, 445 wounded
Englewood - 85 Homicides, 356 wounded
Garfield Park - 57 homicides, 327 wounded
New City - 43 homicides, 137 wounded (they must have really good aim here)
North Lawndale - 34 homicides, 243 wounded
Grand Crossing - 33 homicides, 127 wounded
Roseland - 32 homicides, 147 wounded
Auburn Gresham - 31 homicides, 140 wounded

We have 77 community areas. These 8 accounted for 407 of the 2016 homicides, which is more than 50% of the total.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:47 AM

410 posts, read 634,996 times
I am unsure whether Chicago would need federal help but statistically, there are other cities that need federal aid more than Chicago such as:

New Orleans, LA

Detroit, MI

Philadelphia, PA (Chicago may have surpassed Philly this year due to the murder spike. This applies to Miami and DC as well, hard numbers will tell the story)

Washington, DC

Miami, FL

Memphis, TN

Oakland, CA

Now I will say that Chicago has the most murders when you account for total annual homicides, but statistically more people are potentially killed in these cities and are more dangerous when you account for city size. Also, where there calls for federal aid in the 1970s, 80s, and 90s? This was when Chicago was clocking in well over 800-900 murders a year. How about when NYC and LA had over 2,000 killed back in the day? New Orleans still has the worst murder rate of approx. 50 per 100,000, but where was the federal aid when they were closer to 100 per 100,000 decades ago?

Dont get me wrong, Chicago's spike in 2016 is terrible, of the big 3 cities we are lagging behind. But things have been much, much worse. The problem didn't warrant federal interference before, and maybe shouldn't be warranted in the present.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:17 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,139,991 times
I would be fine with Federal assistance in the form of joint task forces with the FBI, DEA and ATF to target gang violence, (I imagine some of that is already taking place), but I suspect most who are suggesting Federal assistance are envisioning tanks and NG troops patrolling in Englewood.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:16 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,953,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
I am unsure whether Chicago would need federal help but statistically, there are other cities that need federal aid more than Chicago such as:

New Orleans, LA

Detroit, MI

Philadelphia, PA (Chicago may have surpassed Philly this year due to the murder spike. This applies to Miami and DC as well, hard numbers will tell the story)

Washington, DC

Miami, FL

Memphis, TN

Oakland, CA

Now I will say that Chicago has the most murders when you account for total annual homicides, but statistically more people are potentially killed in these cities and are more dangerous when you account for city size. Also, where there calls for federal aid in the 1970s, 80s, and 90s? This was when Chicago was clocking in well over 800-900 murders a year. How about when NYC and LA had over 2,000 killed back in the day? New Orleans still has the worst murder rate of approx. 50 per 100,000, but where was the federal aid when they were closer to 100 per 100,000 decades ago?

Dont get me wrong, Chicago's spike in 2016 is terrible, of the big 3 cities we are lagging behind. But things have been much, much worse. The problem didn't warrant federal interference before, and maybe shouldn't be warranted in the present.
I don't disagree, but at some point scale / raw numbers has to come into play. These are real lives being impacted. I believe the difference between now and the 70s 80s 90s is that cities (chicago included) are on a massive upward swing, and people of means are moving into Chicago. In previous decades, there was a mass exodus of people looking for greener pastures.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I don't disagree, but at some point scale / raw numbers has to come into play. These are real lives being impacted. I believe the difference between now and the 70s 80s 90s is that cities (chicago included) are on a massive upward swing, and people of means are moving into Chicago. In previous decades, there was a mass exodus of people looking for greener pastures.
The Chicago of the 1970s and the Chicago of today are too different to even make a comparison. Back then, there were a few poor areas, many middle class areas, and a couple of rich areas. Now, you basically have a lot of very poor areas and a sizable and growing number of very affluent areas, and little in between. The middle class is pretty much gone. Most of the crime is occurring in a handful of the very poor ares, but not all of them. Many poor neighborhoods actually have (relatively) low crime. In short, I think crime is a lot more concentrated now than it was back then.

The mass exodus was different circumstances. That was basically middle class whites fleeing the City for the suburbs. Now, there are no middle class whites left to flee, so we're not seeing this kind of movement. Instead, we're seeing their affluent and educated suburban-raised descendents and empty nesters moving into the gentrified and gentrifying neighborhoods. We're also seeing many lower-income families leaving poor areas for lower-income suburbs, because they perceive life will be better there.

Here's a nifty little gif. Watch the middle class go "poof!" right before your eyes! Watch the masses get poorer, and watch the green money monster growing out from the center. Very interesting indeed!

https://danielhertz.files.wordpress....gif.gif?w=1000

Last edited by BRU67; 01-11-2017 at 12:37 PM..

Old 01-12-2017, 06:46 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,108,829 times
While Black-on-Black crime is rather unstoppable, I do think the city can do something about Hispanic-on-Hispanic shooting. That's something the city can stop if they just want to, they just choose not to.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:01 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,171,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
While Black-on-Black crime is rather unstoppable, I do think the city can do something about Hispanic-on-Hispanic shooting...
Wow.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:30 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,442,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Put street gangs under the same category as terrorism, G.D's and Vice Lords belong on the same category as ISIS.
Yeah! And we can then solve street crime just like we've solved terrorism!

Oh, wait...

Old 01-12-2017, 09:36 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,580,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
While Black-on-Black crime is rather unstoppable, I do think the city can do something about Hispanic-on-Hispanic shooting. That's something the city can stop if they just want to, they just choose not to.
Did you know that Latin American cities have the highest murder rates in the world?

http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/m...the-world.html

Racists can't seem to think logically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago