Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 05:18 PM

62 posts, read 79,425 times

Advertisements

I am a few years out from purchasing a single family home and I have recently been looking at Jefferson Park. One thing I have noticed in the majority of the listings is there are ugly overhead power lines going in all directions all over the backyards. It is hideous and ruins the outdoor space in my opinion. Does anyone have any experience with moving lines like this or are they permanent? Are these lines always buried in other areas or have I just never noticed them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 05:29 PM

243 posts, read 220,637 times
In NY , they told me 5k to relocate a pole .

Old 02-08-2017, 06:29 PM

186 posts, read 243,021 times
I'm out in the suburb of Wheaton...south Wheaton and parts of it have power lines under ground...I agree what a huge difference.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:08 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
There are lines running through alleys all over the city. Here's a random example from the Gold Coast.

My guess is you just never really noticed them, particularly if you've never had a back yard where you spent a lot of time. You don't see them much if you're sticking to the streets.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:12 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Chicago is unique in having power-lines in backs down alleyways. Eat here then fronts of housing that remained unblemished but for street-lights. But I think having then in backs. The power company care less in keeping wires more compact sadly.

In most cities especially in the east. They can and are prevalent in fronts. Including on front lawns. As is my home having a pole and transformer in front and common on all streets.

So I would still say I'd rather it NOT spoiling the walkable fronts. And in backs. Though I can understand no where in sight is a good location.

Maybe a tree planted strategically from a deck might work? Though I understand a more open pole-free view is desired. Sadly, only you can decide if the cost of moving the pole is worth it?

I'm sure suburb boasting of wires underground. Do not help. But I believe parts of far northwest Chicago have wires underground and no alleys. Or Norridge, Harwood Heights surrounded by Chicago too. If your still searching the Northwest side of the city?

I will add that NOT having the Poles in home fronts as Chicago, as I'd prefer. Once you live in the city as I did a few years. Then move to another region of the country. You SEE the ugly poles on sooooooo many street-fronts. That they are really hard to block out for me, even many years later after no longer in Chicago. Better in the alley at least.

Last edited by DavePa; 02-08-2017 at 07:22 PM..

Old 02-08-2017, 07:57 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWestTown View Post
I am a few years out from purchasing a single family home and I have recently been looking at Jefferson Park. One thing I have noticed in the majority of the listings is there are ugly overhead power lines going in all directions all over the backyards. It is hideous and ruins the outdoor space in my opinion. Does anyone have any experience with moving lines like this or are they permanent? Are these lines always buried in other areas or have I just never noticed them?
I grew up in a suburb right next to the city. The power lines got in the way a little when I played basketball in the yard. I didn't think too much of it. I'm in my early 30s and didn't realize some houses have underground lines in some parts until I started looking to buy a house last year.

It sounds like you can move the pole if you want, but it doesn't sound like neighbors will judge you for having power lines going over your yard.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:18 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Well i grew up with a neighborhood like you see with the power lines all across. We didn't even notice it, it was totally normal. I guess if you come from a suburb where you dont see them, and then you see them it might be an eyesore. but it was just part of the city landscape, and it didn't bother me one bit. I think though if i lived next to an oil tank like you see in some suburbs like Des Plaines on Touhy, that would bother me. THAT looks ugly. Some people hate train noise but i love living near the soft choo choo sound of a train going by. so i guess its what you are used to or not used to. if you hate it, you might not want to continue to live there. so then you have made your decision.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:02 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Power lines are just a part of the city landscape. While burying them is an ideal solution, it's too costly, especially in today's world; besides, if you spent money on that, there'd be nothing left for politicians to pocket. There's also too much pre-existing infrastructure in place, which precludes putting power lines under ground, at least not without tearing everything up. In the meantime, they provide a convenient place for people to hang their shoes (said with tongue in cheek).

Also, in rural areas, especially in the middle of nowhere, I find power lines to be a comforting sight: a sign that civilization isn't too far way. One wilderness survival manual I read even suggests looking for railroad tracks or power/phone/telegraph lines, even if abandoned, and following them to get back to civilization. That is, if you can't find a road. Because linear infrastructure always leads to and from populated areas.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 02-09-2017 at 08:13 AM..

Old 02-09-2017, 08:32 AM

796 posts, read 929,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Power lines are just a part of the city landscape. While burying them is an ideal solution, it's too costly, especially in today's world; besides, if you spent money on that, there'd be nothing left for politicians to pocket. There's also too much pre-existing infrastructure in place, which precludes putting power lines under ground, at least not without tearing everything up. In the meantime, they provide a convenient place for people to hang their shoes (said with tongue in cheek).

Also, in rural areas, especially in the middle of nowhere, I find power lines to be a comforting sight: a sign that civilization isn't too far way. One wilderness survival manual I read even suggests looking for railroad tracks or power/phone/telegraph lines, even if abandoned, and following them to get back to civilization. That is, if you can't find a road. Because linear infrastructure always leads to and from populated areas.
yeah, I don't even notice them despite them being everywhere in my alley. like others have said, at least they're not in the front of the house. no big deal.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:32 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,507 times
the only areas you'll find them buried are in the downtown core. otherwise im afraid you'll have to get used to it. its standard in pretty much 90% of the city, and most of the older suburbs too for that matter

aside from being costly to bury, theyre also harder to service when theyre underground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago