Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 01:49 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
look, if this guy finds uptown and rogers park too rough he is not going to last 5 minutes in little village
Yeah, it's definitely not for everyone. But I think a lot of people, particularly in the younger generation, are getting over their fears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 02:04 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,635,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Yeah, it's definitely not for everyone. But I think a lot of people, particularly in the younger generation, are getting over their fears.
i am relatively young (early 30s) and spend significant time there. i will simply say it is not a cakewalk and you need to have your guard up at all times. i have been accosted by gang members simply going out for a quick bite. in fact, its more uncommon not to cross paths with gang members. it is common to have signs flashed at you. my SO grew up in the neighborhood and still has to plan her life around "how far do i have to walk from point A to point B and do i feel safe doing so alone".

i do not walk around after dark. it gets a bad vibe in the summer. this weekend we had people snorting coke outside our house and jumping on the hoods of cars while blaring music. in the building next door we have a couple engaged in domestic abuse which we have had to call the cops on multiple times because we can hear it through multiple solid walls. another tenant is a prostitute and brings her business home with her. open air drug deals on 26th are as common as could be, gunshots are not uncommon. a toddler was found murdered this weekend in a building a block away. a cop was shot on our block last year. there was a cartel hit on a middle aged guy a couple months ago. we have bars on our windows and barricade doors with a 2x4 at night. these are not normal conditions most people choose to willingly live among. do you like thinking about whether youre crossing Two Six and LK boundaries just to go to the store? i dont. its not trendy, its exhausting.

there are lots of things to like about the neighborhood too, but i feel like it gets tossed around casually lately as a recommendation and i will simply say some fears are valid to have.

Last edited by via chicago; 06-19-2017 at 02:24 PM..

Old 06-19-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
i am relatively young (early 30s) and spend significant time there. i will simply say it is not a cakewalk and you need to have your guard up at all times. i have been accosted by gang members simply going out for a quick bite. in fact, its more uncommon not to cross paths with gang members. it is common to have signs flashed at you. my SO grew up in the neighborhood and still has to plan her life around "how far do i have to walk from point A to point B and do i feel safe doing so alone".

i do not walk around after dark. it gets a bad vibe in the summer. this weekend we had people snorting coke outside our house and jumping on the hoods of cars while blaring music. in the building next door we have a couple engaged in domestic abuse which we have had to call the cops on multiple times because we can hear it through multiple solid walls. another tenant is a prostitute and brings her business home with her. oh, all these people also have children who are not attended to. gunshots are not uncommon. a toddler was found murdered this weekend in a building a block away. a cop was shot on our block last year. there was a cartel hit on a middle aged guy a couple months ago. we have bars on our windows and barricade doors with a 2x4 at night. these are not normal conditions most people choose to willingly live among. its not trendy, its exhausting.

there are lots of things to like about the neighborhood too, but i feel like it gets tossed around casually lately as a recommendation and i will simply say some fears are valid to have. and if people do not know what they are getting themselves into, they will quickly find out. we are here due to deeper ties to the community and its residents, (quite literally my SO's family), but my family refuses to visit me and is generally worried about my safety at all times.

Well, thanks for the PSA. Sounds like it really sucks over by where you lived. But that doesn't at all describe what goes on on my block. I guess it probably depends where you're at in the neighborhood. I could see some blocks, particularly west of Sacramento, being like that, but it isn't over by me.

You bring up a good point though - you really need to be careful about wherever you choose to live in the City. Checking the crimes going down around a prospective apartment on the CPD Clear Map is a great idea!

Old 06-19-2017, 02:37 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,635,451 times
we are west of sacramento, but im not sure how big a difference 8 blocks makes in the scheme of things

Old 06-19-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
we are west of sacramento, but im not sure how big a difference 8 blocks makes in the scheme of things
I think in LV it makes a pretty big difference, least based on what I've been told and what I see.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:20 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
Pick one:
1. Safe neighborhood
2. Under $200K

That being said, there are some lower priced homes near Midway airport. It's a pretty safe area.

OP, it sounds like you might want to live in another city. Chicago has some crime issues and unless you have the money to live in a nice neighborhood, you'll have to deal with crime. I live in a decent neighborhood, but I still have to play the "was that a gunshot or firework" guessing game.

Your money will go a lot further in other cities.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:01 PM

123 posts, read 119,910 times
Quote:
look, if this guy finds uptown and rogers park too rough he is not going to last 5 minutes in little village
I worked as a case manager for homeless , people with severe mental illness and criminal history. Spending a couple years in low income apartmentss and sro's spending time helping people in uptown and rogers Park including nursing homes working with people I saw a culture in that nieghborhood that scared me away and traumitized me.

Uptown is bad tent cities and the area around Truman college is not great. A lot of this is politics. I am not sure what to the people think of it that live there I have not been for couple years just go there to eat . I was there when people got shot by the church and truman college.

After working there I do not want to live there. Buena Park is nice some nice places by the beach but I saw to much drama. You can have a nice string of homes then an apartment building full of addicts and ex offenders. I use to be liberal but when I worked in uptown I decided to stop helping people and help myself.

Maybe I can't handle some nieghborhood but uptown left a bad taste in my mouth. To bad maybe ten more years.

I am not sure what crime little village has it seems gang violence is less scary to me than desperate people in uptown who will do anything for a couple bucks.

Thanks for advice in other post I may have to decide if I want to live in a condo or maybe invest in a fixer upper.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:59 PM

504 posts, read 496,717 times
Quote:
A huge difference... Are you kidding? I'm not as familiar with LV, but in EGP and Austin - its a ridiculous difference that a few blocks can make..

Old 06-19-2017, 09:08 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
I used to work in Brighton Park and sometimes at the companies Little Village location. I personally wouldn't live any where near there! Crime is getting worse everyday!

I have friends and relatives in North Carolina. If you're considering living there I would highly consider it over Chicago! Less crime, lower cost of living and lower taxes! My friend has a huge 4 bedroom house in Charlotte and paid $160k. It's newer and updated as well, property taxes $2500 a year! You're not going to get anything like that in Chicago!!

Old 06-19-2017, 10:10 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times
Yep. city is for rich people or poor people.
No in between.

You can buy in a bad neighborhood and hope you strike gold by gentrification kicking in.
and since the Northside is gentrified, nothing will be cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago