Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 08:48 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,945,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3goodmonths View Post
This thread is proof that only rich white people are posting on this site. There are no arguments from minorities in this thread.
I didn't know we had race and income information on our profiles!? Where is this Information (proof). How do you know there are no minorities posting? White people are minorities in Chicago anyways.

Also, is there no such thing as a rich minority or poor white person!? Please elaborate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 08:55 PM

123 posts, read 119,910 times
I feel a lot of the arguments are one sided do not hear any arguments from the poor African Americans being booted out of city after some were bused out of projects in the nineties there is a lot of history and systematic racism to why blacks are leaving city anyways I want to hear a black persons view on these threads. I am white.

There is such thing as poor white and rich minority but when it comes to black and Hispanic they are not on high end of any of spectrums

Old 06-25-2017, 09:11 PM

9 posts, read 8,602 times
Funny - this thread starts as a cute/sarcastic response to all the negativity appearing in other threads, and then sure enough gets dominated by negativity :-) I'm a newbie, but to me Chicago seems like a great city. Too much violent crime (which is a real shame and seems to me to be the one thing holding the city back) but a great city.

I guess it feels weird coming from Pittsburgh where everyone is a booster (and rightfully so -- it's a great city too). And we don't typically rag on each other -- we save that for Philly...

Old 06-25-2017, 09:22 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,281,567 times
Quote:
I feel a lot of the arguments are one sided do not hear any arguments from the poor African Americans being booted out of city after some were bused out of projects in the nineties there is a lot of history and systematic racism to why blacks are leaving city anyways I want to hear a black persons view on these threads. I am white.

There is such thing as poor white and rich minority but when it comes to black and Hispanic they are not on high end of any of spectrums
That is not why African Americans are leaving Chicago.

You don't get "boosted" out of Englewood, Austin or Lawndale; they are leaving because they don't want to raise their children in literally among the worst neighborhoods in the United States.

Yes in a fantasy world it would be great to sprinkle fairy dust and make those neighborhoods like Lake View. Since it's the real world they are doing what every ethnicity before them also did, from Irish to Italian to Polish, which is pack-up and run for the suburbs or some other area.

Granted, the problems of the African American ghettos are substantially worse even than the ghettos of the above minirities were, but the principal is the same.

Is anyone sitting there wringing their hands that all the Poles have left Cragin or the Italians have left Melrose Park?

S#it changes. Often for the better. Sometimes for the worse. But it changes.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:28 PM

I am not arguing any more if there is a black man or women on here that understands. The history of how the black man was nocked down and this all roots from hundreds of years of racism let them argue. It is not my role. I sense there is a lot of racism on this site one poster in this thread was talking in another thread about wiping out every continent except erope and North America. Sick.

Last edited by 3goodmonths; 06-25-2017 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: Added sex not just male

Old 06-25-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I didn't know we had race and income information on our profiles!? Where is this Information (proof). How do you know there are no minorities posting? White people are minorities in Chicago anyways.

Also, is there no such thing as a rich minority or poor white person!? Please elaborate.

You can profile a profile for instance I guess you are white from your user name a prominent street on the north side. And post you made on a thread about wiping all continents off planet except urope and North America stating Africa already looks like it was wiped off.

These things can be profiled to make a guess on race of poster.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I am not arguing any more if there is a black man or women on here that understands. The history of how the black man was nocked down and this all roots from hundreds of years of racism let them argue. It is not my role. I sense there is a lot of racism on this site one poster in this thread was talking in another thread about wiping out every continent except erope and North America. Sick.
So you basically have taken a position based on some sort of personal emotional gratification you feel and will wait for someone else to attempt to fill in the actual coherent argument.

That is like the opposite of the scientific method.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:45 PM

It's because I can't explain it all in hear it's very complicated maybe to become more educated on why blacks are in situation they are in watch the doc 13th

Anyways we are off on a tangent and maybe should talk more about OP and not race which will lead to crime which will lead to this thread being cleaned up and locked.

I just think it's cliche for me a white person to argue any further black people need to fight the fight, inform the whites. I feel there is not a lot of black people on Chicago forum from my short experience.

Black can argue from experience I can argue from what I read, seen a little working in social services, and science which is based on statistics and surveys and ethnographies from black people so would be much easier to hear from black on things discussed on some of these Chicago threads. I think they would be insulted .

Old 06-25-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
It's because I can't explain it all in hear it's very complicated maybe to become more educated on why blacks are in situation they are in watch the doc 13th

Anyways we are off on a tangent and maybe should talk more about OP and not race which will lead to crime which will lead to this thread being cleaned up and locked.

I just think it's cliche for me a white person to argue any further black people need to fight the fight, inform the whites. I feel there is not a lot of black people on Chicago forum from my short experience.

Black can argue from experience I can argue from what I read, seen a little working in social services, and science which is based on statistics and surveys and ethnographies from black people so would be much easier to hear from black on things discussed on some of these Chicago threads. I think they would be insulted .
Well, you have your opinion, and I have mine.

Mine is primarily based on several people close to my family as well as interactions with other African Americans in more casual formats who weren't very sentimental about GTFO of bad neighborhoods.

I am curious, though, do you harbor the same sensitivity for all the Poles who have left the NW side or Irish who left the South Side or Italians who left Taylor Street and Grand Avenue? Let alone the Bohemians who left Pilsen?

Did they have the same need to "fight the flight?" Do you spend a lot of time thinking about it?

Old 06-26-2017, 12:17 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
That is not why African Americans are leaving Chicago.

You don't get "boosted" out of Englewood, Austin or Lawndale; they are leaving because they don't want to raise their children in literally among the worst neighborhoods in the United States.

Yes in a fantasy world it would be great to sprinkle fairy dust and make those neighborhoods like Lake View. Since it's the real world they are doing what every ethnicity before them also did, from Irish to Italian to Polish, which is pack-up and run for the suburbs or some other area.

Granted, the problems of the African American ghettos are substantially worse even than the ghettos of the above minirities were, but the principal is the same.

Is anyone sitting there wringing their hands that all the Poles have left Cragin or the Italians have left Melrose Park?

S#it changes. Often for the better. Sometimes for the worse. But it changes.
I suspect that it is by design. Rahm is basically "starving" the residents out of those areas by withholding city services (shutting schools down, neglecting open air drug markets, etc..) Those areas have been horrible for decades, but the rapid exodus on steroids has been mainly under Rahm.

I honestly think this is part of his master plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago