Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:12 PM

37 posts, read 69,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Every single person you know in Chicago over the sapn of ten years has been a victim of crime?
Yes. My best friend had her purse stolen at whole foods last year. 5 years ago my boyfriend was robbed at gunpoint. 2 years ago a friend of mine was leaving a bar drunk and got jumped for his wallet. I had my house broken into while I was home. Another one of my friends was walking down the street with her husband and some crackhead tried to pull down the skirt she was wearing... the list goes on.

Why are you even asking me if you already think I'm a liar?

Old 06-10-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimicata View Post
WomaninChicago,

Have you decided on a new city? Where are you planning to move and why (if you don't mind sharing)?

I'm moving to a smaller city on the east coast.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:13 PM

109 posts, read 281,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by womaninchicago View Post
And picking up and moving to another city is not "simple as that" as you put it. And what's with this "game" that your referring to? One day if someone robs or assults someone you care about, I highly doubt your response would be "get therapy 'cause your lying" and "move." Wow, I'm so glad I'm moving.
Yes, it is simple as that. Your doing it now, right? If you would have done things right when you started having these feelings you would have already been gone instead of waiting 10 years. Sorry, I do not see the point in staying somewhere you are not happy with for 10 years. Family, finances, or whatever the case may be - there is no reason or excuse to stay somewhere you are just not happy. I do not understand that way of thinking a lot of people have - especially where I came from... enjoy the rest of your night and good luck on the move!

Remember, crime happens all over the place, especially in cities and if your not comfortable with that you might want to move to a more sheltered living situation... adios!

Old 06-10-2008, 09:16 PM

Want to hear some more? A friend of mine who's a cocktail waitress was coming home from work got beat up and raped. But hey, she must have lied too right? I bet all those women reporting rapes in Lincoln park & Bucktown a couple years back were all making it up...

Old 06-10-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdsys View Post
Yes, it is simple as that. Your doing it now, right? If you would have done things right when you started having these feelings you would have already been gone instead of waiting 10 years. Sorry, I do not see the point in staying somewhere you are not happy with for 10 years. Family, finances, or whatever the case may be - there is no reason or excuse to stay somewhere you are just not happy. I do not understand that way of thinking a lot of people have - especially where I came from... enjoy the rest of your night and good luck on the move!

I never said that I was unhappy for 10 years. You just made that up. Think before you type and go back and read my original post again. I actually have been unhappy the past 2yrs and made the final decision to move a year ago. You must be really young, not have family or a career to think about that you think it's easy to just pick up and move.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:20 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by womaninchicago View Post
As a single woman living in Chicago for 10years now, I have to say that it's not that great. When I first moved here I was beyond excited. Then reality set in. Over the years I have lived in several of the downtown neighborhoods and while some may be slightly better than others, there is still a lot of "garbage" that you have to deal with.Pro's: Restaurants, shopping, nightlife, culture, diverse people, job opportunities, social opportunities and there is always something to do.Con's: 1) CRIME - someone posted earlier that you can "avoid crime." That might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If people could avoid it, it would never happen. I personally have been violated and had crimes commited against me several times over the years while living in Chicago. From having my house broken into to guys grabbing me on the street to having a guy walk up to me with his penis out trying to masturbate while looking at me. All three of these instances happened in broad daylight in "nice" neighborhoods. The list goes on... and this is not to mention every single person I know has had crimes commited against them from being held up at gunpoint to having their purses stolen. Again, all in nice downtown neighborhoods.By the way, the police do not care. Many of them are corrupt as well.2) RUDE PEOPLE - No, I do not expect every person walking down the street to smile and say hi but I do expect common curtesy for others. It would be nice if when I went to the bank, store, gas station that the person working behind the counter did not act as if I was a complete burden to their job. It would be nice if people didn't spit phlem on sidewalks in front of other people (I walk around downtown every day and this occurs EVERY SINGLE DAY.) It would be nice if cab drivers payed attention to pedestrians crossing the street. It would be nice if bike messengers obeyed street signs and didn't cause constant traffic problems. It would be nice that if it's raining out that men in Chicago actually let women walk under awnings to keep from getting wet instead making them walk around. The fact of the matter is that a lot of people in Chicago do not have common decency or respect for others. They are too worried about how cool they are going to look in their new mercedes. 3) IT'S EXPENSIVE/TAXES - I fortunately make a good living, but if you don't it's going to be a constant struggle.4) WEATHER - It goes from freezing to hot and humid. But the worst is the wind. You can not hold your coffee, puse, shopping bags, leash or whatever and constantly try to pull your hair out of your eyes without getting frustrated. (Men obviously don't have this problem.) The wind doesn't just blow in one direction, it's all over the place. Oh, forget about ever wearing skirts too. Unless you want to give free peep shows.This is coming from someone who walks around the city a lot. If you drive or stay at home most of the time these problems won't be as frequent. Also, I don't know if your a man or a woman, but it's a completely different city depending.* I realize that a lot of cities have crime/rude people but Chicago has quite a high percentage versus other major cities. After 10 years I have decided to move to a more friendly and attractive city."Chi-town" isn't what it's cracked up to be.
Where does it say you have been unhappy only in the last 2 years or so?

Old 06-10-2008, 09:22 PM

WOW. Some seriously misserable people on this site!

Old 06-10-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Where does it say you have been unhappy only in the last 2 years or so?

I doesn't say that. I just told you that. YOU said "why would you live in a city that your unhappy in for 10 years?" I NEVER SAID THAT.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:24 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Misery loves company. You would know. You have lived in the "miserable" city for ten years and now you decide to move.

I thought there were no "goodbye" posts on this site?
Funny how your first post on this site rips all over the city and then you say you are moving.

Did you seek this site out just to talk trash? It sure seems to be the case.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:30 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,725,917 times
Gosh, I lived in what many considered to be the safest neighborhood in Chicago, and everyone I know had to deal with some sort of crime eventually. Whether it was a stolen bike, or the doorman stealing checks and cashng them, or someone trying to break into their apartment. Some people just had minor stuff, others were not as lucky.

I was very lucky, the stuff that happened to me was minor. I had my radio stolen from my car, and minor stuff like that.

Over a ten year period, I would be really surprised if someone didn't have something happen. I doesn't surprise me the some people are victims of crime more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago