Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Chicagoans wish the city were located on the East Coast?
Yes 10 17.86%
No 46 82.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 05:37 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Chicago would not be the same plopped somewhere else. Nobody that loves Chicago would wish this.
This!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 06:14 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Seems the OP cares about impressions too much. Is there really a shortage of Chicago media attention? I don't think so. Every thing about Chicago screams big-market. It does seem that many Chicagoans are insecure about it being cool or significant probably because many of them are first generation urban... look at me, I'm living in the city!

If Chicago were on the East Coast it would be like Baltimore or Philly, and I think less significant because Chicago is the king of the Midwest. It would be overshadowed by NYC and DC.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:20 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Not to take away anything from our other Midwestern neighbors (Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, etc.) but Chicago is the premier city in the entire Midwest.

The Crown Jewel of them all, bar none.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:29 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Seems the OP cares about impressions too much. Is there really a shortage of Chicago media attention? I don't think so. Every thing about Chicago screams big-market. It does seem that many Chicagoans are insecure about it being cool or significant probably because many of them are first generation urban... look at me, I'm living in the city!

If Chicago were on the East Coast it would be like Baltimore or Philly, and I think less significant because Chicago is the king of the Midwest. It would be overshadowed by NYC and DC.
I definitely don't think it would be overshadowed. In fact, it would offer another big city alternative to NYC. DC, Boston and Baltimore are geographically small. Philly is bigger but it doesn't give you the glamour that Chicago does. Imagine the Loop on the Atlantic Ocean.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
The media coverage at least nationally always seems to center around both coasts, with Chicago being a distant third with regards to the coverage.
If Chicago were on the East Coast, what would be different about the city, and what would be different about the respective regions of the Midwest or Eastern Seaboard?

If it is a "no" is that because you prefer living in the Midwest region as a whole, or possibly even love the fact that Chicago dominates its region that much?
One of the main things people love about Chicago is the nice people.
It's definitely a big part of the city's charm.
If you moved it to the east coast.... well... ummm... I don't want to be rude.. but that aspect of the city would get lost/disappear...

As a rule, Midwestern people are pretty humble (another trait that would get lost if it Chicago was moved to the east coast). I've never heard someone from Chicago say that the city doesn't get enough coverage on the national news. Until I read this post, I wasn't aware it was a "thing". To be honest I don't keep tabs on what area of the country gets more/less news coverage.

Chicago's my favorite city (and I was raised a Cheesehead ) and I love it as it is/where it is.

Last edited by cfbs2691; 08-15-2017 at 07:52 AM..

Old 08-15-2017, 07:46 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,629,382 times
Chicago *is* because it is in the Midwest.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:50 AM

636 posts, read 612,295 times
I've never seen any validity to this "midwesterners are nice" platitude. Don't kid yourselves, people have the potential to suck here just as much as they do on the east coast.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:15 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,581,918 times
I know what you mean. People are jerks and wonderful and everything in between no matter the region.

Hell, if anything I would even say that due to the massive amount of disinvestment and overall crime/hopelessness in so much of the Midwest and Rust Belt, the generalization that Midwesterners are, in fact, not nice is arguably more accurate.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:45 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
One of the main things people love about Chicago is the nice people.
It's definitely a big part of the city's charm.
If you moved it to the east coast.... well... ummm... I don't want to be rude.. but that aspect of the city would get lost/disappear...

As a rule, Midwestern people are pretty humble (another trait that would get lost if it Chicago was moved to the east coast). I've never heard someone from Chicago say that the city doesn't get enough coverage on the national news. Until I read this post, I wasn't aware it was a "thing". To be honest I don't keep tabs on what area of the country gets more/less news coverage.

Chicago's my favorite city (and I was raised a Cheesehead ) and I love it as it is/where it is.
Well I haven't been in a while, but do you mean to tell me that Chicagoans are noticeably that much nicer? I mean really there are no rude people in a city that big? I find that hard to believe.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
really there are no rude people in a city that big? I find that hard to believe.
Nowhere in my post did I state there are no rude people in Chicago.
Nowhere in my post did I state that all people on the east coast are Aholes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago