Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 11:45 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
McCarthy is too conservative for Chicago. I think the only wards he'll win would be in the outlying city worker wards. Rahm would take everything else
You'd think with 800 plus homicides and 4,000 plus shootings per year, not to mention the high profile flash mobs and car jackings, the time would be right for a law and order candidate. Such a candidate would probably win anywhere else under these circumstances. But sad to say, I think you're right given that this is Chicago.

I also think that Chet has a good point. Anyone who is not financially savvy with connections to get things done is going to have an extremely hard time dealing with the financial mess that we're in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 11:52 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
You'd think with 800 plus homicides and 4,000 plus shootings per year, not to mention the high profile flash mobs and car jackings, the time would be right for a law and order candidate. Such a candidate would probably win anywhere else under these circumstances. But sad to say, I think you're right given that this is Chicago.

I also think that Chet has a good point. Anyone who is not financially savvy with connections to get things done is going to have an extremely hard time dealing with the financial mess that we're in.
He was Superintendent of CPD and didn't much to bring down the homicides, doubt he'll do much better as Mayor.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:13 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
You can only imagine the boost, morale-wise and business-wise, if he does land Amazon. It would be a tremendous shot-in-the-arm for a city that needs it pretty badly..
It isn't going to happen. They will take one look at the state of the govt see we are the Venezuela/Greece of the US and say pass.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 09-20-2017 at 06:08 AM..

Old 09-20-2017, 07:16 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
If he ends up landing Amazon, its gonna be tough for whoever his opponent is. If that person isn't talking about attracting innovative companies like that and continuing to grow the city on its tech hub path, yeah what coldwine said lol
Agree, but that's a big if. I think Chicago has a good shot, but I think Amazon will more likely go to DC or possibly a smaller up and coming tech city like Austin or Raleigh.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:52 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
He was Superintendent of CPD and didn't much to bring down the homicides, doubt he'll do much better as Mayor.
Tearing up that idiotic agreement with the ACLU which created a mountain of paperwork for a street stop would probably drop homicides and shootings considerably standing alone. I don't think it would take much "law and order" to improve things crime wise from Rahm's administration to be honest.

Of course, those who live in the rich areas don't care much about that because they're not really impacted (beyond the occasional post-bar mugging or SUVjacking) so they'll vote for him. Those in the neighborhoods which are impacted will vote for whom has the support of the community "leaders." So really, this is a moot point. Unless someone connected like Preckwinkle or Lisa Madigan runs, Rahm is pretty much a shoe-in.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:28 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,281,567 times
Considering the very low caliber of people who have run against him and have nearly beaten him, it's a terrifying question.

It's a hard job. Rahm is kind of a silent soldier and maybe not the most public-friendly candidate, but he's a very, very competent person.

The idea of some career alderman taking the reigns is horrifying.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:47 PM

79 posts, read 95,605 times
A few names I'll throw out there:
Tom Dart, Sheriff of Cook County
Jesus "Chuy" Garcia, Cook County Commissioner
Scott Waguespack (32nd Ward)
Kurt Summers, City Treasurer
Bridget Gainer, Cook County Commissioner
Carlos Ramirez-Rosa (35th Ward)

It won't be an easy re-election, that much seems certain.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:09 AM

24 posts, read 21,546 times
Any Mexican would probably stand a good chance of unseating Rahm.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:24 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSideSoxGuy View Post
A few names I'll throw out there:
Tom Dart, Sheriff of Cook County
Jesus "Chuy" Garcia, Cook County Commissioner
Scott Waguespack (32nd Ward)
Kurt Summers, City Treasurer
Bridget Gainer, Cook County Commissioner
Carlos Ramirez-Rosa (35th Ward)

It won't be an easy re-election, that much seems certain.
I think Summers and Gainer are good candidates. The others are terrible.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:24 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
Unfortunately the candidates that are put up to run against him are less than competent. Chuy may be a nice guy but we would be even in worse shape with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago