Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 03:59 PM

32 posts, read 38,880 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Chicago at the end of May and will be working in Niles for Shure. I've mainly been looking for places in Lake View since that area was recommended for young single adults (I'm 26/M) but I've also found some promising places in River West. It seems like there's more options in River West that are newer, in high rises, and have amenities that come along with that like gyms, rooftop decks, common areas, doormen, etc. It doesn't seem like you can find places like that in Lake View or at least the western parts where I would be.

I'm just wondering how the commute to work will compare as it seems like I'll prefer living in River West but not if the commute is going to be noticeably worse.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 06:14 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
If you commute by train it will shure be better than driving. River west reasonably close to Union Station.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:36 AM

140 posts, read 115,679 times
It may sound crazy and some effort involved but once you're in Chicago, I would get up early during the work week and make a few "Practice" runs in the morning rush hour from River West to Niles to see what feels better either by car or CTA/Metra

Old 04-30-2018, 08:16 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
Or check out Waze. It will give you really time travel times. They have a website and an app. It will route you around the worst of the traffic. I used it daily when I commuted by car.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:45 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,839,150 times
I think it's important to clarify if you plan to drive or take public transit.

If you plan to drive then Lakeview might be a little bit faster, mostly because you won't be fighting the traffic into the loop on your way home. My fiancee drives to Morton Grove for work and it takes her around 40 minutes both ways, we live in Lakeview East. I suspect that driving from River West would take you closer to an hour door to door. On days when traffic is really tight you may possibly see up to an hour and 15 minutes.

If you plan to take public transit then your only option is to be close to Ogilvy so you can take the Morton Grove or Forest Glen trains to work. Neither of which is a great option IMO.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:51 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I think it's important to clarify if you plan to drive or take public transit.

If you plan to drive then Lakeview might be a little bit faster, mostly because you won't be fighting the traffic into the loop on your way home. My fiancee drives to Morton Grove for work and it takes her around 40 minutes both ways, we live in Lakeview East. I suspect that driving from River West would take you closer to an hour door to door. On days when traffic is really tight you may possibly see up to an hour and 15 minutes.

If you plan to take public transit then your only option is to be close to Ogilvy so you can take the Morton Grove or Forest Glen trains to work. Neither of which is a great option IMO.
FWIW, exiting at the Edgebrook Metra stop near Devon St, it's a 25 minute walk to Shure in Niles. I see a good opportunity to take a bike along to cut out ~40+ minutes of travel time each day and avoid the headache of driving from downtown.

YMMV.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:18 PM

32 posts, read 38,880 times
I guess I should have mentioned that I'm planning on driving since it looks like my work is in between two Metra stops. How far west in Lakeview can you go before things get boring and too far away from bars/restaurants and the young professional scene?

Old 05-01-2018, 06:10 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruggles View Post
I guess I should have mentioned that I'm planning on driving since it looks like my work is in between two Metra stops. How far west in Lakeview can you go before things get boring and too far away from bars/restaurants and the young professional scene?
It’s important to note that you won’t be saving that much time necessarily by moving slighy west away from the amenities. You would have to live farther northwest.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:59 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,839,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruggles View Post
Actually, lakeshore drive is your friend here. You can take lakeshore up to edgewater so it might be faster to be closer to the lake. My fiancee works literally 2 miles from you (further north) and we live on the lakeshore in a full amenity building. It takes her around 40 minutes door to door. If you're looking for amenity's there are plenty of large high rises along the lake that will fit the bill and are still close to all of the action.

Check out Lake Park Plaza, Park Place Tower, the New York Residences, 3550 N Lakeshore Drive, 3950 N Lakeshore Drive, 3600 N Lakeshore Drive. All of those have decent amenities.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:16 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
It’s important to note that you won’t be saving that much time necessarily by moving slighy west away from the amenities. You would have to live farther northwest.

Yep, at most a 5 minute difference, probably less. The one part that improves slightly as you go further west in Lakeview is parking, say for example if you lived near Addison and Lincoln instead of Addison and Lakewood.

The young professional scene stretches throughout most of Lakeview but becomes a bit more sparse between Ashland and Ravenswood. I'd say the "under 27" crowd is focused in the stretch of Clark in Wrigleyville between Roscoe and Addison. It can get pretty hectic, and sometimes bars like John Barleycorn or Moe's Cantina can get old, and it's good to actually hang out in other neighborhoods. With the addition of the new hotel and restaurants across from the ballpark and the apartment complex just south of the ballpark it seems like they'll have things that should appeal to people ranging from upper 20s into their 40s. Southport between Grace and Belmont is a good stretch as well, and there's even a lot surrounding the Lincoln and Ashland intersection, and several bars and restaurants north on Lincoln up to Addison approximately.

I would say look for a place between Ashland, Irving, Wellington and Halsted if you really want to be "in the thick" of the young professional scene in Lakeview, and more specifically between Irving Park, Southport, Belmont and Ashland if you are going to park on the street. Diversey forms the border with Lincoln Park, and the difference in neighborhoods isn't noticeable if you aren't aware that's the border. Once you're west of Ravenwood Ave/the Metra tracks, then you're sort of in Roscoe Village and things are much quieter. There is a decent stretch on Roscoe to explore from Damen to Leavitt, but I wouldn't consider that a "young professional" scene. Just east of the Metra tracks is still walking distance to what you may want from living in a place like Lakeview. If you're west of Southport, you'll have less of an issue finding parking after work when there's a Cubs night game than if you're east of Southport, or even on a Friday or Saturday night for that matter when all the suburbanites head to the Wrigleyville bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago