Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 07:49 AM

4,643 posts, read 3,254,543 times

Advertisements

Irishtom29, I'd like to take this opportunity to address your question and comment... In terms of what would I know about Maxwell Street? Well, I'm 45-years-old and have been visiting Chicago since the age of 5. So I have experienced the feel of the city, in all different forms, for a good 40 years... I know Maxwell Street from the street vendors, the smell of polish and onions, and unfortunately seeing people living in not the best conditions of living... And I have seen brand new buildings, cleaner streets, revenue coming in to businesses, people visiting the area that at one point may not have felt comfortable to visit... To me, each scenario has its unique feel, flavor, and memories to make. I hope you have a great day- Master Jay from Milwaukee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 09:06 AM

61 posts, read 42,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
So-called busiest pedestrian intersection in the world at one point.
Interesting, did not know that about Madison & State, that's my reg bus stop to get home from work.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:25 AM

29 posts, read 17,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The destruction of Maxwell St. was an act of cultural vandalism and white bread homogenization.
Truth. One of many such acts, but certainly one of the most emblematic.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:30 AM

29 posts, read 17,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
So-called busiest pedestrian intersection in the world at one point.
Interesting. I'd be curious to know at what point that would have been. To be true it would have had to have been after Times Square fell into squalor, before Tokyo rebuilt themselves post-WW2, and before India, China, or SE Asia had urbanized to any extent. I can't imagine there being a pedestrian intersection in the US that's even in the top 20 worldwide these days.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:46 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtBottle View Post
Interesting. I'd be curious to know at what point that would have been. To be true it would have had to have been after Times Square fell into squalor, before Tokyo rebuilt themselves post-WW2, and before India, China, or SE Asia had urbanized to any extent. I can't imagine there being a pedestrian intersection in the US that's even in the top 20 worldwide these days.

Dunno. Several references if you care to google it. Think it was 1900-1910, nearby a period when Chicago was the fastest growing city in the world.

https://www.loc.gov/item/00694183/

Old 09-27-2018, 01:00 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Stamping ground of the old Taylor St. Dukes. Taylor and May had a great bakery, DeLeos. I used to stop in and get a slice of sheet pizza.
Used to go to DeLeo's too for a slice. Lived in the coach house at 1029 S. Racine for a bit. Watched the rats swim in puddles in the alley. Went down the alley to DeLeo's to get a slice before school. That's Chicago. Not State and Madison. Yes that too is Chicago but its in the realm of tourists and suburbanite office workers.

Old 09-27-2018, 01:27 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
Lincoln and Montrose
Lincoln and Wilson
Clark and Berwyn

Old 09-27-2018, 01:38 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,670 times
63rd and Pulaski. The giant Indian statue on top of the pharmacy.

Old 09-27-2018, 01:42 PM

629 posts, read 543,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
All these replies and no answers for Clark & Addison? A favorite for obvious reasons.

Another would be Michigan & Chicago where water tower place, the park, and hancock are all in view. Always enjoy walking around that area, minus the over abundance of people on nice days.

if you saw the abominations at Clark and Addison that they built you wouldn't think so anymore

Old 09-27-2018, 02:49 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Another favorite of mine is Clark and Belmont. Busy intersection, lots going on, and it was probably the last (relatively) "edgy" part of Lakeview. Although I hear it's changed quite a bit in the three years I've been gone, with the Dunkin ("Punkin") Donuts being closed and torn down and a new residential midrise going up in its place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago