Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 05:38 PM

66 posts, read 64,078 times

Advertisements

Would love to move to Oak Park, but the property taxes seem outrageous. I know Berwyn was trying to attract gay couples a few years ago, but I haven't been able to find any evidence that shows that's been successful. We don't need to live in a gay enclave, but it would be nice to know we're not alone in the neighborhood. Does anyone have firsthand experience (either gay and currently living in Berwyn or have gay friends who have recently moved to Berwyn) that can share their honest opinions on the current environment in the city. From what I've read, Berwyn has a high percentage of Hispanic families. From my experience, that's a community that has not always been welcoming or tolerant to gay people. We plan on checking out Berwyn as much as possible in the coming month, but I would love to hear about actual experiences living out and gay there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 05:55 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
It ranks third among Chicago suburbs for same-sex couples. I know several who live there. I lived there myself for quite some time and while not gay myself, would say that it would be very welcoming towards a gay couple from what I know about the community.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
https://www.mysuburbanlife.com/2018/...month/ab3341f/

Last edited by Yac; 03-21-2019 at 02:08 AM..

Old 03-16-2019, 06:07 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
Many of the aldermen/women in Berwyn are gay. There are quite a few gay couples and singles. I really don't know any personally. They even have an LGBT organization.

Welcome to BUNGALO - Berwyn United Gay and Lesbian Organization

Old 03-17-2019, 06:55 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
One of the first gay couples I knew here in Chicago moved there and has lived there for over a decade now.

I'm gay and I've never lived there, but my ex-inlaws do so I've been out on dates there many times, never had any problems.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:56 AM

249 posts, read 236,840 times
Berwyn is a great alternative to Oak Park! I lived there for a few years, and there’s a good chance I’ll be moving back there down the road. I helped a lesbian family buy a home there last summer, and from the stats referenced above, there’s a large number of lgbt people in town. I’m not sure if they proudly display their rainbow flags like Oak Parker’s do, but I think it’s a pretty welcoming place to live!

Old 03-23-2019, 04:54 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPRFmama View Post
Berwyn is a great alternative to Oak Park! I lived there for a few years, and there’s a good chance I’ll be moving back there down the road. I helped a lesbian family buy a home there last summer, and from the stats referenced above, there’s a large number of lgbt people in town. I’m not sure if they proudly display their rainbow flags like Oak Parker’s do, but I think it’s a pretty welcoming place to live!
I've seen more "love is love" signs and rainbow flags near the nicer, southern depot district versus anywhere else. And yes, one of the more active and prominent alderman on city council is gay and an amazing person who loves the community. Come to think of it, I believe my two favorite alderpeople are LGBT.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,541 times
Just came across your post. Was wondering whether you ever purchased a new house? Hope that one you discussed in one of your other threads was not located in Berwyn. I've lived in Berwyn since 1995, and owned a house there near Proksa Park (just north of Depot District) since 1999. It is a great, diverse, peaceful neighborhood with many positives. Our block this month has 4 Pride flags flying, including our own. Yes, our wonderful proud alderwoman lost her re-election bid earlier this year (by 2 votes), but the city still has 3 elected officials who are out and proud. If you already have purchased elsewhere, and if you decide to move again, give Berwyn another chance. Happy Pride!

Old 06-12-2021, 06:56 AM

305 posts, read 213,323 times
Berwyn and Cicero never quite felt comfortable to me. They have some charming brick homes, but I always sense there’s crime hanging in the air. A few weeks ago some gangbangers assaulted an Uber driver and basically executed him around 7:30pm. It was beyond barbaric and disturbing. I always feel relieved once I’m west of Harlem Ave and enter Riverside. Far more expensive, but more beautiful and feels more civilized. Good luck.

Old 06-12-2021, 10:13 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddicker View Post
Berwyn and Cicero never quite felt comfortable to me. They have some charming brick homes, but I always sense there’s crime hanging in the air. A few weeks ago some gangbangers assaulted an Uber driver and basically executed him around 7:30pm. It was beyond barbaric and disturbing. I always feel relieved once I’m west of Harlem Ave and enter Riverside. Far more expensive, but more beautiful and feels more civilized. Good luck.
I would sure hate to see how you feel in a city neighbourhood, jeez. Berwyn actually has a lower crime rate than Oak Park. Perhaps you feel this way simply by virtue of the fact that Berwyn is majority Hispanic? Is there another reason?

Old 06-12-2021, 10:26 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
Yes there is crime in the area but there is crime in all the inner ring suburbs that is greater that those of the outlying suburbs. I think Berwyn is a great place for certain people. Maybe not families if you want public school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago