Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 11:42 AM

885 posts, read 624,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
I don't know anything about the Port, but there are clearly a number of major CTA projects (Purple line straightening, rebuilding half a dozen northside Red line stops) and near future (Damen/Lake Green stop, extending Red to 130th).

What's a real kick to the balls is there was a Humboldt Park line for decades (from Logan to Lawndale). Before my time (and I presume most posters), but how wonderful would that have been in 2022.
The CTA closed the Humboldt Park branch on the L in 1952. This line consisted of 6 stations and the tracks were immediately north of North Ave. between Hoyne Ave. and Lawndale Ave.

At the beginning of the 20th Century, the Chicago City Council approved a proposal to extend this branch westward from Lawndale Ave. to Harlem Ave. But, this construction was never implemented.

The beginning of the end for the Humboldt Park L line was in 1950, when the CTA discontinued both evening and overnight service on this line. This decision led to a noticeable decline in ridership on the Humboldt Park line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 12:22 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
Plus the Jackson Park Green Line. It's crazy how much that neighborhood would have benefited if not for Bishop Brazier's sabotage. That fossil did a number on the area.

Old 02-24-2022, 02:19 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
And no more snow and bitter cold to deal with. Of course, summers are toasty.
Didn't Dallas have a bad couple of winters this year and last with the power grid going out last year? Right at this very moment, Dallas has a winter storm warning and its 30 degrees. I don't really mind the winters here, and I grew up in So. Cal. For me, it is a stifling summer that I have a problem with. Anyways, I think people should live where they are happy, or at least content.

God bless Chicago, winter, taxes, and all the good and bad things that go along with a major metropolis.

Winter Storm Warning
Dallas - Fort Worth
3 hours ago – National Weather Service
WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM CST THIS EVENING... *

Old 03-03-2022, 12:51 PM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Quote:
Plus the Jackson Park Green Line. It's crazy how much that neighborhood would have benefited if not for Bishop Brazier's sabotage. That fossil did a number on the area.
That was a dumb move indeed!

Old 03-03-2022, 03:00 PM

885 posts, read 624,911 times
Quote:
In 1994, the Green Line was closed for renovation. When the line reopened in 1996, the Cottage Grove Ave. station was the new terminal. The stations at University Ave., Dorchester Ave., and Jackson Park were closed, and the tracks east of Cottage Grove Ave. were demolished.

This this Green Line branch was renamed as the East 63rd Street branch.

Old 03-03-2022, 09:28 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
Yep. The neighborhood "leaders" shot themselves in the foot and have since been decrying racism as the reason for 63'rds 50-year collapse. It wasn't just the bishop alone.

Plenty other guilty parties involved. This city can be maddening sometimes.

Old 03-07-2022, 08:32 PM

3,450 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
Yep. The neighborhood "leaders" shot themselves in the foot and have since been decrying racism as the reason for 63'rds 50-year collapse. It wasn't just the bishop alone.

Plenty other guilty parties involved. This city can be maddening sometimes.
Agreed, that I thought it was stupid as all hell the city listened to one church pastor/'bishop' over everyone else in that neighborhood, and decided to tear down the Jackson Park Green Line branch east of Cottage Grove Ave. I've never understand why the CTA idiotically decided to do that move, myself. Now those blocks east of Cottage Grove(i.e. 63rd and Dorchester), will more than likely(unless a miracle happens, decades from now. but I don't hold my breath) never again see L service.

Old 03-31-2022, 06:04 AM

4,953 posts, read 3,055,358 times
$20 for a burger, hotel prices now off the chain; the list goes on.
Chicago is indeed a ripoff.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:14 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
$20 for a burger, hotel prices now off the chain; the list goes on.
Chicago is indeed a ripoff.
Sounds like you don't travel to big cities much. We just stayed downtown at Moxy, boutique hotel on a Friday night. $164/night. Huge rip off.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:36 AM

4,953 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Sounds like you don't travel to big cities much. We just stayed downtown at Moxy, boutique hotel on a Friday night. $164/night. Huge rip off.

I try and avoid getting fleeced, which aggravates me to the point of ruining the experience.
Your recent price is about average for any decent room throughout the city.
However, I paid as much for a burger in DeKalb as I did downtown.
And therefore, it seems some establishments are simply price gouging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago