Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What effect does a prosperous, higher profile Milwaukee have on Chicago?
Good for Chicago 8 53.33%
no effect 5 33.33%
Bad for Chicago 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 06:36 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times

Advertisements

Hopefully MasterJay is out there to join in on this thread.

Curbed Chicago has an article about the building boom in the greater downtown Milwaukee area, making parallels between that city and Chicago. Lifestyle type of development is occurring in areas like the Third Ward and Walker Point as the city becomes more trendy. Next year, for a week at least, Milwaukee takes center stage as it hosts the 2020 Democratic convention.

https://www.curbed.com/2019/7/2/2067...ment-west-town

Discussions on how the Chicago affects Milwaukee are pretty usual. Milwaukee is by far the closest big city to Chicago and feels Chicago's presence more than any other. From all I've seen and read, I think the consensus in Milwaukee is that Chicago is good for it, that it benefits from being next door to a global city. One could argue that Milwaukee has an advantage over other midwestern cities because it is so close to Chicago, the metro areas more and more filling in from one to another.

This thread here is different: it's about how Milwaukee affects Chicago not the usual that is the reverse. I'm not trying to get carried away here, but if one considers the happenings 90 miles north is harbinger of good things to come, does Chicago benefit from a prospering, more major Chicago? Is there an attraction that one the southwest shores of Lake Michigan are the only two major cities on the Great Lakes that devote, so successfully at that, to the pleasure of park, beaches, and other amenities (sorry Buffalo and Cleveland, on this you don't make the grade).

So: good, bad, or no difference....and why do you think the way you do?

From my perspective, the relationship between the two cities is pretty good, arguably among the best of cities so near to each other.

And while I personally don't see any negatives and personally think the good stuff happening in Milwaukee is good for us, I'm throwing in a poll (since they are free) to see what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 07:07 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times
edsg25, Hello my friend. And hello and Happy July 4th to all my city-data.com friends... edsg25, you know what? I haven't done much posting lately, and unless I overlooked it, I hadn't seen you on here lately? I hope all is well!... For those who know me, you know I am an "honorary Chicagoan: per edsg25's blessing! In fact I was in Jefferson Park and Lincoln Square yesterday, and I see that you have postings for our Summer Fest. So that tells me there has to be some degree of influence of Milwaukee among Chicagoans. Because God knows you all have some superb festivals, and yet you have the brotherly goodness to support OUR festivals. And in my experiences in your Italian areas, there are always folks that say they are planning to come up to our Festa Italiana, which is held on the Summer Fest grounds... The only other impact I can really identify of Milwaukee impacting Chicago is our Brewer games which bring on your residents when we play the Cubs... I think our Bublr bike system came after your Divvy bike system. And I think Milwaukee started naming neighborhoods after Chicago had an established 77 Community areas. Growing up, I knew I was from N. 60th Street and W. Locust Street. I had never heard that I was on the cusp of the "Sherman Park" and "Lenox Heights" neighborhoods!... So I look forward to hearing other's perspectives! I'm sure Mr. edsg25 does , too. Let's hear what you think!- Sincerely, Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 07-05-2019, 03:04 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
edsg25, Hello my friend. And hello and Happy July 4th to all my city-data.com friends... edsg25, you know what? I haven't done much posting lately, and unless I overlooked it, I hadn't seen you on here lately? I hope all is well!... For those who know me, you know I am an "honorary Chicagoan: per edsg25's blessing! In fact I was in Jefferson Park and Lincoln Square yesterday, and I see that you have postings for our Summer Fest. So that tells me there has to be some degree of influence of Milwaukee among Chicagoans. Because God knows you all have some superb festivals, and yet you have the brotherly goodness to support OUR festivals. And in my experiences in your Italian areas, there are always folks that say they are planning to come up to our Festa Italiana, which is held on the Summer Fest grounds... The only other impact I can really identify of Milwaukee impacting Chicago is our Brewer games which bring on your residents when we play the Cubs... I think our Bublr bike system came after your Divvy bike system. And I think Milwaukee started naming neighborhoods after Chicago had an established 77 Community areas. Growing up, I knew I was from N. 60th Street and W. Locust Street. I had never heard that I was on the cusp of the "Sherman Park" and "Lenox Heights" neighborhoods!... So I look forward to hearing other's perspectives! I'm sure Mr. edsg25 does , too. Let's hear what you think!- Sincerely, Master Jay in Milwaukee
Thanks Jay and all goes well. Glad to see you are stilll enjoying our city. As I noted here, we enjoy yours as well.

Old 07-05-2019, 06:55 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,127 times
Quote:
If you dont mind me asking how often do you come down here? As it seems you spend more time in Chicago than Milwaukee which is great so I was just curious. You seem to spend more time here exploring the city and going to events more than even any suburbanite I know

Last edited by prhill; 07-05-2019 at 07:42 AM..

Old 07-05-2019, 09:09 AM

edsg25, I'm glad to hear all is well! Speaking of Milwaukee festivals, are you (or any other readers) fans of or planning to make our ethnic fests, church fests, or State Fair? Have a great Friday! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 07-05-2019, 09:20 AM

prhill, Good morning. I don't mind you asking at all! My father used to bring me to the city a four times a year in the 1970s and 1980s ( I'm in my 40s). And in the 1990s when I started Tae Kwon Do, the Korean Masters would bring me to the "Korean town" for dinner and shopping. When I started teaching, I started using Chicago as a vendor, to give me an additional reason to come on down. But when I divorced several years ago, Chicago was my getaway town for me as well as a place to spend alone with my children.... Nowadays, my children know Chicago better than I did when I was their age. And any people I strike up a conversation with, or any of the ladies I have dated, will always remark that I know the streets better than they do, and I know more about the different neighborhoods, and/or will asked if I ever lived here before... And the reason why I don't move, because I'm always asked by people from Milwaukee and Chicago is: being a father will always have to come first in my life. And right now my kids are still young enough. And they only live 15 minutes down the road when they're not staying with me... Maybe one day I WILL move. But for now I'm enjoying my time being with them and don't need time to go any faster! Sincerely, Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 07-05-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
prhill, Good morning. I don't mind you asking at all! My father used to bring me to the city a four times a year in the 1970s and 1980s ( I'm in my 40s). And in the 1990s when I started Tae Kwon Do, the Korean Masters would bring me to the "Korean town" for dinner and shopping. When I started teaching, I started using Chicago as a vendor, to give me an additional reason to come on down. But when I divorced several years ago, Chicago was my getaway town for me as well as a place to spend alone with my children.... Nowadays, my children know Chicago better than I did when I was their age. And any people I strike up a conversation with, or any of the ladies I have dated, will always remark that I know the streets better than they do, and I know more about the different neighborhoods, and/or will asked if I ever lived here before... And the reason why I don't move, because I'm always asked by people from Milwaukee and Chicago is: being a father will always have to come first in my life. And right now my kids are still young enough. And they only live 15 minutes down the road when they're not staying with me... Maybe one day I WILL move. But for now I'm enjoying my time being with them and don't need time to go any faster! Sincerely, Master Jay in Milwaukee

Good Morning and thank you that was very interesting! I was born much closer to the city as we were in the burbs in the 1970s and would visit the city often or have school field trips. Then my dad made one of his many mistakes and moved us to Madison Wisconsin and we lived there from 1980-1984.

I noticed the people there had a weird Love-Hate feeling toward Chicago. On one hand they really believed as soon as you crossed the city limits you would be gunned down! On the other hand as soon as they heard the word Chicago they would get all excited and if they found out you were from there or at least near there as they did me you were an instant celebrity and they would ask all kinds of questions. And OMG hen it was announced we were taking a field trip all the way down you never saw people so excited!

And I personally could not come down and visit relatives often enough and take trips into the city and I knew then as soon as I was old enough I would move into the city and finally at 18 I did!

Old 07-05-2019, 10:41 AM

prhill, thank you for sharing!! I have an older brother that lives in the Madison area and loves it there. I invite him on my excursions to Chicago, but he's not interested because the drive is longer. I guess I can't blame him. I'm not a Madison fan because for me, it lacks the rich diversity of ethnic neighborhoods that Chicago has. True story: I once stopped in a gas station in Madison and asked where the "Mexican neighborhood" was. The store attendant paused and said, "well, we have a Mexican restaurant and super market nearby!"... So I prefer Milwaukee to THAT, and certainly prefer Chicago moreso.... And yes, we have Milwaukeeans that do enjoy coming down to the city for your music fests, taste of Chicago, etc. I just happen to order bringing down my bicycle and exploring all the streets and neighborhoods... We also have those in Milwaukee where the word "Chicago" suggests filthy, danger, and shootings. I try to tell them, the entire city can NOT be defined as such! Well, I love you guys, and I may even bring my bicycle Saturday. Any good fest suggestions I can check out? Thank you. Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 07-05-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
prhill, thank you for sharing!! I have an older brother that lives in the Madison area and loves it there. I invite him on my excursions to Chicago, but he's not interested because the drive is longer. I guess I can't blame him. I'm not a Madison fan because for me, it lacks the rich diversity of ethnic neighborhoods that Chicago has. True story: I once stopped in a gas station in Madison and asked where the "Mexican neighborhood" was. The store attendant paused and said, "well, we have a Mexican restaurant and super market nearby!"... So I prefer Milwaukee to THAT, and certainly prefer Chicago moreso.... And yes, we have Milwaukeeans that do enjoy coming down to the city for your music fests, taste of Chicago, etc. I just happen to order bringing down my bicycle and exploring all the streets and neighborhoods... We also have those in Milwaukee where the word "Chicago" suggests filthy, danger, and shootings. I try to tell them, the entire city can NOT be defined as such! Well, I love you guys, and I may even bring my bicycle Saturday. Any good fest suggestions I can check out? Thank you. Master Jay in Milwaukee
I certainly understand about Madison both me and my brother could not get used to how different it was there compared to the Chicago area. We were like where are all the buildings and the trains and this and that lol. We did see one train in all those years. It was a freight train going down a very old track next to the school and it was moving slower than a turtle and all the kids lined up watching it with eyes wide open as if they were watching a space ship landing! I will never forget that sight for as long as I live.

Funny thing is even way back then they talked about having their own elevated transit system that would make a loop like Chicago. Obviously that never happened. And they closed off their State Street like Chicago did which didnt make any sense. And then they tried to have their version of Portillos and in the newspaper it said the best part is that in Madison you can enjoy your food and not worry about being mugged or shot like in Chicago! Like I said they would rip on Chicago yet they wanted to try and be like Chicago.

Have fun this weekend and yes bring your bike! I would love to help you with suggestions but to be honest I hibernate in the summer as I cannot stand the endless brutal heat we suffer through here!! But come late October-Early November I am ALWAYS out and about in the city!

Last edited by prhill; 07-05-2019 at 11:24 AM..

Old 07-05-2019, 02:36 PM

prhill, Obviously there are people who absolutely love Madison, and that is ok by me. It's just not MY kind of town, nor does it sound like yours! That's funny to hear how A train was a big deal I agree that some places that don't want to be compared to a smaller Chicago still do the same type of things with their city, but oh well! WOW, I'm surprised and put off that anyone would have made an ignorant statement of Chicago being a place where one can get mugged or shot!!!! Unfortunately it's attitudes and comments like that that keep my fellow Milwaukeeans putting down Chicago. Yet, hmmmm, EVERY time I go to Chicago, I come back in fine shape! Well, the point is big city life is not for everyone and that is okay. I just don't appreciate it when people will then put down things that they don't like, versus just accept that people ARE different...Yes, even if I come down alone to Chicago, I always seem to make friends pretty easy! And I'll attribute that partially to the fact that I personally find Chicago to be very welcoming. That makes an "outsider" like me (dubbed an honorary Chicagoan by edsg25) very appreciative. So, prhill, do I have YOUR vote to be an honorary Chicagoan, as well? Master Jay in Milwaukee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago