Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:05 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times

Advertisements

Cougar shot, killed on North Side -- chicagotribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 09:13 PM

391 posts, read 1,303,671 times
Had to be a pet. No other way.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoro View Post
Had to be a pet. No other way.
It is very possible it was not, but you might be right. There were sightings in the North Burbs the last few days. If it is the same one, that guy covered alot of land in the last two days.

They are somewhat taking back their territory like the coyotes...

Old 04-14-2008, 09:26 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,345,774 times
I think it is the same one, I have been following the story and am pretty shocked by the conclusion. It sounds like it was sighted in Wiscosin not far from the border in January. North Chicago a few weeks ago, then Wilmette....Roscoe Village....

Crazy. I will be very interested to keep following this story. I can't imagine it was a pet....and it seems like these animals are capable of covering a whole lot of ground.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I think it is the same one, I have been following the story and am pretty shocked by the conclusion. It sounds like it was sighted in Wiscosin not far from the border in January. North Chicago a few weeks ago, then Wilmette....Roscoe Village....

Crazy. I will be very interested to keep following this story. I can't imagine it was a pet....and it seems like these animals are capable of covering a whole lot of ground.
He probably used the trains tracks to come down. I am serious. He could find rabbits and squirrels to eat along the way easy.

I would agree that this was not a pet. It was four feet long! Who could keep that anywhere? I mean he sure had some good street smarts for being a pet!

I think they can do at least 20 miles a day.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:34 PM

34 posts, read 159,137 times
well that eliminates Roscoe Village from my list of potential neighborhoods to live in when I move to Chicago

haha

Old 04-14-2008, 09:40 PM

Dude people keep alligators and crocs for pets. I know people that have over 100 venomous snakes for pets. I've even had one myself (western hognose). People have all kinds of pets.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:45 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,391,361 times
Quote:
Dude people keep alligators and crocs for pets. I know people that have over 100 venomous snakes for pets. I've even had one myself (western hognose). People have all kinds of pets.
True. Still, the cougar had no tags or ID or anything, and would require a lot of room, so I think a pet like that in the city is unlikely. Plus, this fella was likely seen previously, and cougars have quite a range. Add to that the fact that it wasn't long ago that a coyote made its way WELL into the Loop and ended up in a Quizno's... (I know coyotes are smaller and less distinctive, but that coyote got DEEP into a heavily populated area without anyone making a call... Why not a cougar?

Old 04-14-2008, 09:56 PM

If a persons keepin an illegal cougar I doubt hed tag or put anything to link it to him on it. I sure wouldn't. Huge fines. Not sayin yall wrong though.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:06 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
And those people are also breaking the law and putting themselves and others in danger by doing so. Ive met with Rob Carmichael, curator for a local venomous snake rescue center in Lake Forest. He has a entire room full of rescued snakes that were confiscated by the IDNR from people who kept them illegally. One time they were called by the city of Chicago to come fetch a puff adder out of a dumpster. Some careless, brainless, cruel dip****e didnt want it anymore and decided to just dump the poor thing in a filthy dumpster. I know you probably took care of your snakes, but its still illegal in IL to own a venomous snake. Its not worth the fines and/or danger to keep exotic species, in which the USA doesnt even have anti-venin in case of a accidental envenomation.

And western hognose snakes, while venomous, many dont even categorize them as venomous because their venom is incredibly weak. Cool snakes though!

Oh yeah, regarding the cougar, Im pretty sure it wasnt a pet. Theyve been seen more and more recently in the midwest. MN has a decent cougar population and there have been several sightings in southern IL recently too. Missouri has a rather large population as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago