Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 01:40 PM

885 posts, read 624,546 times

Advertisements

Cavsfan137: If you decide to check out Hyde Park and the University of Chicago, weather doesn't have to be a factor.

I can recommend 2 indoor attractions on the UC campus:

1) Smart Museum of Art. It has over 15,000 objects in its collection. This museum has 4 permanent collection galleries. They are dedicated to Asian art, European art, modern art, and contemporary art. Admission is free.

2) The Oriental Institute. This is the UC's center for interdisciplinary studies of the Near East, as well as an archaeology museum. Admission is free. Donations accepted.

Both of these sites are worth investigating.

Enjoy Chicago.

Last edited by Nearwest; 01-03-2020 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 02:28 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Can't really do too long a post but, suppose that bus to the UC doesn't work out for some reason, you can el-train it on either the Pink or Green lines to Ashland, or the Pink Line Polk station puts you within earshot.

The Green Line does not use that Polk or 18th St. station, and doesn't stop west of Ashland until California Ave, well west of the UC and not exactly in the Chi's best neighborhood.

You can also use the 18th and/or Damen stops to check out Pilsen. If there is better Mexican food to be found in the Midwest than some of what you can get there, I'd like to go try it.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:28 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times
jfre81 is correct, in that the Pink Line can drop you off in a neighborhood that will make your mouth water! But, I always have to plug a hidden gem: if you were to take that Pink Line to Western Avenue, walk south about 5 blocks to 24th Street, and hang one block left (to the east), you'll find an awesome array of great Italian restaurants!

Old 01-05-2020, 09:29 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
I think you'll be disappointed with your stay in the airport Hilton. Blue Line runs 24/7, running *at least* every 10 minutes until 12:30am, at which point it runs every 15 minutes until 1:30am, and then one at 2:00am, 2:30am, and 3:00am, and then every 15 minutes until 4:30, at which time it runs at least every 10 minutes. During daylight hours, it usually runs every 6 - 8 minutes, and as frequently as every 3-4 minutes during each rush hour. So, basically, it wouldn't matter how late you arrive, you could get downtown. From O'Hare to the Loop (Monroe Station) the train takes 41 minutes. The Palmer House Hilton is about 1 1/2 blocks from the Monroe Station of the Blue Line, maybe a 3 minute walk. The ride and the walk are safe, even at that hour.

Taking an Uber would be about 20-25 minutes driving. Waiting for the Uber would likely be 5-10 minutes. That time of night, the fee for an Uber from O'Hare would probably be in the $30-35 range that time of night.

The sights you plan to see seem reasonable. The French Market isn't as lively or interesting on weekends as it is during the week. Really, most of the food halls are best during the week.

The double-decker Gray Line buses are open on top, but covered downstairs. I see people up top all year round, as long as they're bundled up.

Old 01-07-2020, 05:06 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
NearWest: Both of those attractions sound exciting-I guess the reason I figured UC might be more worth seeing in warmer months was that there would be more "boots on the ground" in terms of foot traffic and also it would be easier to potentially take the L down there, walk over and around, etc. I guess the bigger reason is this visit is such a short one. If it were a longer trip, I almost certainly would. But, considering they are free as you mention-that area may be worth considering still anyways.

Interesting info on the United Center connections-surprising that they haven't managed to get a stop closer to the arena yet as you said-in any case, it's good to know I have options. Also, good to know about the varying ethnic food places!

emathias: That is good to know context regarding the Gray Line, markets, and transportation. Hmm... I will at least consider switching it then-I just figured we would already be really tired getting in near midnight, and that the Hilton O'Hare would just give us a place to quickly lay our heads after getting out of the flight. It also was moderately cheaper than the airport Hilton-I guess the perk though is that then we wake up Saturday morning already downtown. And, I think our friends are even meeting up the previous night so it give us a chance to see them an additional day during the weekend (over in Wicker Park, so we could potentially take Blue Line to meeting place and then Uber from there.

Old 01-15-2020, 05:19 PM

I hear it's going to be quite cold Sunday!

So, I got a Tampa Bay History Center Membership-and it covers the following reciprocals:
Discount-
-Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio
-National Public Housing Museum
-Richard Driehaus Museum
-Glessner House Museum
---
Free-
-Norwood Park Historical Society
-Evanston History Museum/Dawes House

Not sure that I will go to any of those-but it's an option at least.
---
We are still staying at the airport, but I upgraded our room (it was only like $15 to do so), for a runway view. I've heard it's one of the best airport hotels in the world for viewing (as I can imagine with number of flights)-so that aspect should be cool-I figure if I'm up around 7 or so, that should give me an hour or two in morning of doing that before heading into the city. I know there's no chance I'll be able to see everything, so there's no rush.

Some of the places I think we will be hitting include Cindy's rooftop, Tao Nightclub, and EMA. I don't know, I guess I'm just along for the ride, so good times either way.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:43 PM

cavsfan137, oh I'm glad I work Sunday, if it's going to be so cold! I was down this past Sunday. It was pretty chilly. I went with a friend to the Garfield Park Conservatory. There is a Green El train stop there. I just thought I'd throw it out there, if you and your company are interested in seeing different climate trees and flowers. There are also Koi fish and turtles thrre. I hope you enjoy your stay. Chicago is wonderful and always calls me down. You'll have fun, no matter what the weather, I'm sure!

Old 01-20-2020, 04:12 AM

Welp... Weather unfortunately kept us back in Tampa : (

Was really, REALLY looking forward to this. Though I guess I probably do get to travel more than most people, I don't exactly live on a regular basis in the most happening/urbane place. So, it's exciting when I do get to go, and short-lived, so esp. disappointing in this case. Most of life is lived in the routine.. and unfortunately that was mostly what happened this weekend too.

Hoping to plan another trip up to Chicago though at some point in the next couple years, not exactly sure when though. I'm thinking of going somewhere next month... but Atlanta and Knoxville are the two likely places, as I don't want to have flight canceled again due to inclement conditions. Thanks for your advice etc. Honestly, I'm thinking this trip WILL happen, but I am thinking that perhaps a weekend in May or September might be best (I want to see both ballparks which I've never seen, so visiting in season would add that element).

Old 01-20-2020, 04:53 AM

cavsfan137, sorry you missed it, kinda! I think the city is the best when it's nicer weather out. Being able to ride a bicycle (you can rent one; they're called Divvy bicycles in Chicago) is such a great way to leisurely take your time and explore. And the beach along Lake Michigan goes for miles with so many people! The area near Wrigleyville is very lively with bars and restaurants. The White Sox area.... nothing at all like where the Cubs play, trust us. But the Sox are about a mile or two south of Chinatown, and Chinatown is a pretty big tourist-drawn area. Well stay WARM, because it's quite cold in these parts right now. Let us know when you plan your Chicago trip next time. You'll enjoy yourself! Take care!

Old 01-20-2020, 04:55 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Welp... Weather unfortunately kept us back in Tampa : (

Was really, REALLY looking forward to this. Though I guess I probably do get to travel more than most people, I don't exactly live on a regular basis in the most happening/urbane place. So, it's exciting when I do get to go, and short-lived, so esp. disappointing in this case. Most of life is lived in the routine.. and unfortunately that was mostly what happened this weekend too.

Hoping to plan another trip up to Chicago though at some point in the next couple years, not exactly sure when though. I'm thinking of going somewhere next month... but Atlanta and Knoxville are the two likely places, as I don't want to have flight canceled again due to inclement conditions. Thanks for your advice etc. Honestly, I'm thinking this trip WILL happen, but I am thinking that perhaps a weekend in May or September might be best (I want to see both ballparks which I've never seen, so visiting in season would add that element).
This sounds really disappointing for you! What a bummer. Yes, traveling (especially air travel) from about mid-December all the way through February is especially iffy when there's a northern city on the itinerary. It's great when it works, but those winter storms do pop up frequently and make a royal mess of things. I do hope you can arrange your other getaway(s)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago