Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 12:37 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
You sound like a true bro.

I don’t think there are a lot of bro neighborhoods left, but maybe look at Wolf Point. That is a good place to be rent poor with other tech bros, and whatever remains of the bottomless mimosa river north brunch crowd gals will prolly be impressed with your staggering river views, in both directions even perhaps.
"ladygagafan" is not the screen name for a "true bro."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 12:50 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
That is likely a good point.

Nevertheless, it is a bro-y set of attitudes.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:03 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
There's a lotta mom & dad trust funds from the suburbs & all over the Midwest helping to boost these young folks.
Most of Streeterville is not filled with trust fund kids. Most of Streeterville is made up of professionals (I've known plenty of doctors and lawyers there), and executives (C-suite executives - I've know multiple that live in Streeterville).

I think you vastly over-estimate the number of people living in Chicago on trust funds. I'm sure there are some, but the vast, vast majority of people I know who live in high-rent districts are earning their own money. Part of what is going on in River North is that the Near North residents have a higher average age than you may think. It feels younger, because young professionals will stop off at bars and restaurants in River North on their way home farther north, but many of the youngest people you see don't actually live in the neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
$120k is solidly upper middle class for Chicago and can afford a very comfortable lifestyle.
I would not say that it's "solidly" upper middle class. It's solidly middle class, and it's toward the upper end, and then ONLY for single people or maybe DINKs. $120k/year for a family that has children is just middle class, not upper middle class, and that's true across the entire Chicagoland region. I think objectively upper middle class for families starts at about $150k (that's two parents each earning $75k/year, or one at $50k and one at $100k - plenty of couples in Chicago fit into that description).

If you want to live in new construction downtown, or in the higher-end suburbs, it's certainly not going to yield a luxurious lifestyle. Comfortable, maybe, luxurious, no.

Old 07-29-2020, 04:19 PM

1,260 posts, read 945,273 times
I guess if you really want River North go for it. But I don't think River North is worth it at all. While it's a cool area, it feels so sterile, and not to generalize, but it feels very douchey (the overall vibe and some of the visitors). I feel like you could live in other areas that offer dense/urban living that are more affordable and have a lot more character and are interesting.

I find River North to be one of the most sterile places in the city and its residents as well. I'd take living in the Loop or South Loop or the Gold Coast over River North.

You can get more "luxurious" living in cheaper neighborhoods that have a ton more character and even more to do than River North. I'd say shoot for Lincoln Park or Old Town, offers a lot more bang for your buck. River North is just full of sterile looking high rises, with douchebag nightlife and some decent restaurants. Only thing that I give River North an edge to is vibrancy and convenience to the rest of downtown.

Old 07-29-2020, 04:23 PM

1,260 posts, read 945,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
You sound like a true bro.

I don’t think there are a lot of bro neighborhoods left, but maybe look at Wolf Point. That is a good place to be rent poor with other tech bros, and whatever remains of the bottomless mimosa river north brunch crowd gals will prolly be impressed with your staggering river views, in both directions even perhaps.
Okay I take back my previous post. I see now see this guy would fit in perfectly in River North.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:40 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Way not true. $120k is not like a queen in the upscale suburban areas of Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati. Perhaps a drag queen?
Maybe not a queen but it is the beginning of upper middle class in CCC and it is definitely not in Chicago. I've lived in two C's (Cleveland and Columbus). They are amazing bargains if you can make a little money and put up with the grit of Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago