Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 01:06 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,427,737 times

Advertisements

I am interested in reporting an apartment building for COVID-19 Cook County Ordinance violations (e.g. gatherings of 50+ in common areas without masks and social distancing, lack of masks and social distancing in other common areas like laundry rooms, janitors not wearing masks or cleaning the building, etc.) to the Chicago Board of Health. However, I am slightly worried about my contact information being shared with the building I am reporting. Does anyone know if my contact information is kept anonymous from the entity I am filing a complaint against, or will the entity be made aware of who filed the complaint against them? Is there a way I can report anonymously?

Thank you for any help, I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2020, 01:11 PM

17,377 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Just tell them your name is Karen.

That sounds accurate.

Old 08-15-2020, 01:53 PM

85 posts, read 94,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Just tell them your name is Karen.

That sounds accurate.

Zing!!! lol

Old 08-15-2020, 02:13 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,917,244 times
in this country, the accused has the right to confront their accuser..
If you are going to squeal, then expect to be revealed.

Old 08-15-2020, 02:14 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,371,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
I am interested in reporting an apartment building for COVID-19 Cook County Ordinance violations (e.g. gatherings of 50+ in common areas without masks and social distancing, lack of masks and social distancing in other common areas like laundry rooms, janitors not wearing masks or cleaning the building, etc.) to the Chicago Board of Health. However, I am slightly worried about my contact information being shared with the building I am reporting. Does anyone know if my contact information is kept anonymous from the entity I am filing a complaint against, or will the entity be made aware of who filed the complaint against them? Is there a way I can report anonymously?

I don't know the answer to your question, but thanks for paying attention. Illinois's numbers are going the wrong way and people need to take this a lot more seriously. I don't want our lockdown to have been for nothing, but that's where we're headed.

Old 08-15-2020, 02:24 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
I believe you can report anonymously, the only issues is they won't be able to follow-up with you after they do their investigation.

Apartments and condos can be dangerous in these times. I know some friends who reported their building's leasing office staff because they were interacting face-to-face with tenants coming to pick up packages or those with questions WITHOUT masks as recent as a few weeks ago. The leasing "office" is considered a place of work.

I don't think tenants are required to wear masks if they are in the building though. This has been problematic for some living in big high-rises. There are a few people who refuse to wear masks, and you could be unlucky and end up with someone in the elevator without masks. Even with masks, it's hard to maintain 6 ft (although that is somewhat arbitrary and if they have a mask on, you should be fine). Many people have turned to the stairwells to avoid people in elevators, but it's likely not a real option if you are in a huge high rise, and even in smaller buildings many people are using stairwells to avoid elevators so people are running into each other in stairwells somewhat frequently, where it is impossible to social distance (even more so than in elevators).

It's not easy living in apartments/condos during this time. People with houses and yards (even townhomes or row homes/graystones) who don't have to worry about the issues you're dealing with, are living much more comfortably during these times.

Old 08-15-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post

Unfortunately, I don't think this is enforceable. I wish it was, but I think residential tenants are not required to wear masks or social distance if they are inside of their residential building. If it is a "business," then there are stricter rules, and so janitors who are "working" can probably constitute a violation. Large gatherings are also violations that extend to residential buildings and you can definitely report that.

Unfortunately, you have no recourse for residents not wearing masks or following social distancing unless your apartment building is able to somehow mandate it through some potential loopholes in the lease. You definitely can report the large gatherings and probably the janitors not wearing masks.

It is a really unfortunate time to be living in an apartment building.

Old 08-15-2020, 03:03 PM

1,067 posts, read 915,231 times
Masks are fine. No need for social distancing.

8k deaths in Illinois out of a population of 12.7M. You guys are over reacting like crazy.

Old 08-16-2020, 06:03 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times
dial 311 i think.

Old 08-16-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Masks are fine. No need for social distancing.

8k deaths in Illinois out of a population of 12.7M. You guys are over reacting like crazy.

Oh please...this is BS. You must not be reading about the long-term damage getting this virus can potentially have. You can take your chances catching it....I will NOT!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: