Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 03:41 PM

41 posts, read 44,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Best to live on a side street, near where not much bar or nightlife happens. In Lincoln Park, I'd say nothing just east of Clark Street, maybe go toward the lake actually, and maybe west of Halsted, I'm just guessing since I lived in East Lakeview, where i lived was quieter, i lived in that part east of Broadway and it was pretty quiet. the more west you go away from busy Clark Street and Halsted Street, i think its quieter. Even toward Ashland it gets quieter. So stay away from the bars and nightlife area and it will be quieter.
Great suggestion. That area always seemed pretty quiet, though I never lived there because it was too far from the train. But definitely top floor for the older buildings.

Someone posted a link to this place saying it was quiet.

Chicago Building Types: the Courtyard Apartment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 07:24 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
fusillirob1983, 2 things:

1. I must say that I am always amazed that Wrightwood Avenue along the park DOES seem to get a huge amount of traffic!.... That always stuck out, to me.

2. I needed you to back me up that the movie, A Quiet Place, was horrible garbage!

What I also like about the Wrightwood Park area is that it is very close to one of the only Barnes and Noble bookstores, in the city. It is on Clybourn and Webster. There is a Pequods Pizza there across the street, which I've never had, but it gets many good reviews.
Yeah, I wouldn't live across from the park either. People will go that way because there's a stop light. I haven't seen A Quiet Place, unfortunately so I can't confirm.

You should check out Pequod's when you have a chance. It gets packed, so your best bet is probably to get there when it opens or in between normal lunch/dinner hours.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:58 AM

4,648 posts, read 3,260,261 times
fusillirob1983, good morning!

NO need to see " A Quiet Place." That movie made me so angry, I slashed the seat I was in, and I was seated in my LIVING ROOM when I watched it!!!.... Just kidding. I WAS in the theater, but I remember I actually did yell at the screen (a couple of times!).

Good call on Wrightwood Avenue!... What's the name of the street that runs north-south, just east of the park? It's something like Greenview. THAT is a very nice street. Traffic is less. Homes are still very nice. Lots of condos there, too.

I'm more a thin pizza type of Master. Does Pequod's have that? I thought they were known more for deep dish?

Good chatting you, my friend.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:18 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willpetdogs View Post
Great suggestion. That area always seemed pretty quiet, though I never lived there because it was too far from the train. But definitely top floor for the older buildings.

Someone posted a link to this place saying it was quiet.

Chicago Building Types: the Courtyard Apartment
One thing about a courtyard bldg, your view.. seems like you can look straight into your neighbor's apartment and same for them. seems claustraphobic unless you get one on the outer edges.

As to living in a busy street - You can still hear noises even if your on a high floor.. i.e. the bus stop! i lived in a highrise on the 12th floor of a building downtown and you could hear the air brakes and the motorcyles revving up from stopping at the stop light.. and then when the light turned green, BRRRRRRRRRrrrrr roar!!

stay away from a busy street like that it will be loud! noise travels up the bulding,, unless you are maybe on the 48th floor of a highrise.

Old 07-13-2021, 01:40 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
fusillirob1983, good morning!

NO need to see " A Quiet Place." That movie made me so angry, I slashed the seat I was in, and I was seated in my LIVING ROOM when I watched it!!!.... Just kidding. I WAS in the theater, but I remember I actually did yell at the screen (a couple of times!).

Good call on Wrightwood Avenue!... What's the name of the street that runs north-south, just east of the park? It's something like Greenview. THAT is a very nice street. Traffic is less. Homes are still very nice. Lots of condos there, too.

I'm more a thin pizza type of Master. Does Pequod's have that? I thought they were known more for deep dish?

Good chatting you, my friend.
Pequod's is known for their deep dish/stuffed pizza, and I believe they put cheese on the crust, which makes it char/crisp significantly. I believe they have thin as well but aren't known for that. Pat's Pizza on Lincoln Ave nearby is good thin crust.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:32 PM

fusillirob83, I'm only going to Pequods if there's a guaranteed QUIET PLACE to sit!

Old 07-14-2021, 07:16 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times
Most side streets that are at least 1.5 blocks from a main artery are pretty quiet, as long as there is no L track nearby.

Old 07-14-2021, 08:43 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Most side streets that are at least 1.5 blocks from a main artery are pretty quiet, as long as there is no L track nearby.
Yup that is true. Lots of neighborhoods on side streets that are very quiet. Also some of the newer luxury apartments are sound-proof. The first luxury high rise I lived in was awesome. Not only could I not hear my neighbors, but noise from outside did not get in either. The apartment also never got too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter. It was built really well, which it should have been given how much it cost!

Old 07-15-2021, 06:52 AM

maylily11x (OP), have you had an opportunity to also go on-line to read up on current apartment availabilities, as well as youtube videos where you can sometimes see apartments being shown? Also, you can watch a video on the various neighborhoods...

Chicago attracts me because of the beautiful collection of different houses, as well as the diversity of many of the neighborhoods. I hope before you settle on an actual location, you can review online and/or read some peoples' opinions on the different neighborhoods, here on city-data.com (to get a better idea of a possible match for you).

Personally, I very much like the neighborhoods that align the northern border of the city limits. They tend to be more spacious between homes, and tend to have more forestry and bike trails. They also tend to be safer and cleaner.

I hope you find your right connection. Wishing you the best!

Old 07-16-2021, 05:18 PM

245 posts, read 304,399 times
Last October one of the saddest stories I’ve ever read emerged from Buena Park. An Ecuadorian refugee, who worked at one of my favorite restaurants in Lincoln Park, was gunned down around 2pm on Belle Plain. He worked two jobs and was simply coming home to rest before starting his second job at the Athenian Room. I know Buena Park is classified as Uptown, but for years I always thought it might be OK. Not anymore. Not after I read about the supremely wicked killing of an innocent hardworking immigrant. If the OP can afford it, I’d stick to Lincoln Park, maybe a quiet spot around Belden or Webster, like Geneva or Arlington. You can rent some decent studios there for around a grand or up. I can’t recall many savage gang bangers making inroads around there, so it’s a pretty lovely area altogether.

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/chic...e-chicago.html

That was a horrible and highly unusual incident for this area..

Wrong place at the wrong time. Its a great vintage city neighborhood with very little street crime but those jamokes were from out of the area and were cruising around looking for someone to rob. He had a backpack and they wanted it. It could have happened on N. State Parkway or Astor Street.

I've lived a bit west of there in Buena Park for 7 years and I feel very safe coming home at night from a Cubs game, or going out to dinner.

Once again, that incident was a terrible, shocking crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago