Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 01:17 AM

3 posts, read 5,900 times

Advertisements

I am new to the area. Can people let me know if it is safe and suitable for families with small children? We are just east of Damen and south of Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 01:50 AM

212 posts, read 230,044 times
Yes, that area is pretty safe, if not really safe, and totally fun. Probably don’t let your kids wander past the Metra tracks South of Hubbard. Sad but true how barriers like train tracks divide demographics in Chicago

Historically, they say don’t go West of Western Ave, but it seems pretty mellow to me over there all the way out to the Boulevard and Humboldt Park. It is much improved

Old 07-13-2022, 12:40 PM

1,067 posts, read 914,716 times
No it's not safe. I do not recommend living in the city with a family with small children. Here's a news story of a recent car jacking in Ukranian Village which is Damen/Chicago. Note "The carjacking was something this family had actually planned for". Read the Chicago crime thread. It's the same demographic committing violent crimes all over the city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-wyfSHzYlo&t=11s

Old 07-13-2022, 02:23 PM

Ya I had a feeling someone would disagree. Crime is generally worse all over the city but the area is just about 100% gentrified. Maybe like 88% of the way to being Lincoln Park. I lived near there last year, and I still spend time there along Chicago Ave. at all times. It is peaceful and everyone gets along fine, but it’s probably not a good idea to own a new Audi. There was a thread on here about owning luxury SUVs in Chicago earlier this year. I don’t know who the OP is, but frankly, when you transcend Hipster and Yuppie all the way to stage 9 Normie status, like how that couple appears in the above video, then you could definitely be more of a target. If a West Side criminal goes in, scopes out your block, and finds out your husband is Doug DeMuro’s older brother, you’re gonna get carjacked.

~~~if this isn’t too tangential or elitist, I gotta say if one appears or behaves with some semblance of creativity or individuality, you should fare better in Ukrainian Village. The neighborhood has a colorful history of arts, with several galleries there now. I like to encourage staying in Chicago despite the crime because you could likely still be just fine

Old 07-13-2022, 02:57 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
West Town is safe like the Gold Coast is safe. In Chicago terms, this means that while it isn't the hood, it is also by no means low crime relative to suburban areas or safer big cities nationally. You will definitely hear about carjackings, shootings, and other violent crime that seems incongruent with the neighborhood's upscale feel and reputation.

Old 07-13-2022, 07:09 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
No it's not safe. I do not recommend living in the city with a family with small children. Here's a news story of a recent car jacking in Ukranian Village which is Damen/Chicago. Note "The carjacking was something this family had actually planned for". Read the Chicago crime thread. It's the same demographic committing violent crimes all over the city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-wyfSHzYlo&t=11s
Heartbreaking that this happened to them. Such a nice looking family. This is exactly why good people are leaving this city. This is so sad how violent this city has become.

West Town is NOT safe. It’s not Englewood or Austin, but when families have to mentally prepare for carjacking drills, you know it’s not “safe.”

So sick of this.

Old 07-13-2022, 09:34 PM

I already made my case. The area is great and worth the low risk of crime. It is Chicago safe

D7E608DE-CE17-4BEF-B957-DA5A56C78D05 by maxwellconaway19, on Flickr

Old 07-13-2022, 10:42 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
It's about as good as it's gonna get in Chicago, whatever that's worth these days.

Old 07-14-2022, 12:53 AM

94 posts, read 104,243 times
Eh, I disagree that it is in the top safety tier of Chicago neighborhoods nor does it have an "upscale" appearance. It is mostly gentrified, still edgy and has a more gritty feel, a lot more than any place like Gold Coast or Lincoln Park for sure. I had close associates that used to live in this area and have spent a lot of time there. My friend got their phone swiped out of their hand walking down the street on Chicago Ave the exact area you are talking about. It's the type of place where when things like that happen you blame yourself for not being more careful, it's not the type of place where you would be surprised in any way that something like that happened. Similar to the car jacking thing I suppose.

Back to the OP's question, is it good for families with young children? There are barely any parks or anything else that would be attractive or suitable for children. It's not somewhere people would go to raise a family. It would be tolerable for young families for a couple of years more or less if the kids are still younger than preschool age and the parents are not ready to give up hip urban living. But once kids get older, school becomes part of life hardly any of those families would remain. If you are in Christopher Columbus school district it's one of the best elementary schools in Chicago but you would be cut out south of Chicago Ave. Still don't expect a lot to truly settle here for family life.

Old 07-18-2022, 06:17 PM

44 posts, read 34,174 times
Ignore all the replies painting Chicago as a crime ridden wasteland. Its a pretty safe area, very gentrified. Mod cut.

You'll be fine, just be aware of your surroundings, which holds true in about any neighborhood in any major city, everywhere.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-18-2022 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: Rude; name calling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago