Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:54 AM

51 posts, read 120,013 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Wrigleyville area later this month and will be using the El to get to downtown for work each day. Should I get a Chicago Card or the 30-day passes?

The 30-day passes are $75 ($2.50 a day) whereas the Chicago card is $1.75 per ride. Since I'll be using the El a minimum of twice a day, 5 days a week (but likely much more), it seems the 30-day passes are a better deal. However, when I was in Chicago last summer for a couple of weeks, it seemed that many, many El riders had the Chicago card. Am I missing something here? Is it just a convenience thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 09:07 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
If you are truly using the system daily the monthly pass is a better deal. If you take off some time the value "disappears" while the Chicago Card is a stored value deal -- technically the stored value cards are transferable/shareable while monthlys are one user only...

Old 06-03-2008, 09:26 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellmabt View Post
I am moving to the Wrigleyville area later this month and will be using the El to get to downtown for work each day. Should I get a Chicago Card or the 30-day passes?

The 30-day passes are $75 ($2.50 a day) whereas the Chicago card is $1.75 per ride. Since I'll be using the El a minimum of twice a day, 5 days a week (but likely much more), it seems the 30-day passes are a better deal. However, when I was in Chicago last summer for a couple of weeks, it seemed that many, many El riders had the Chicago card. Am I missing something here? Is it just a convenience thing?
You can get the monthly pass through the chicago card.

That's the best way to go if you're going to be using it beyond the twice-a-day commute.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:16 AM

328 posts, read 1,396,723 times
Default Chicago Card Plus is BOTH pay per ride AND monthly use!

Hello,

I have the "Chicago Card Plus" (only difference between the regular and the Plus is that it is linked to a credit card), and I started out with the pay per use. Now that I am permanently working here and not traveling, I switched it online to "30 Day Pass". You will DEFINITELY want to get the CCP, since all you do is touch the touchpad with your card, instead of having to swipe the car in and out everytime, it saves so much time!

If you go to chicago-card.com you can read about it and manage your account online. It really could not be any easier.

You will love it! I live right by there, and even though there are some headaches, it sure beats paying 17 dollars a day to park at work!

Old 06-03-2008, 03:47 PM

732 posts, read 2,981,160 times
I think the CCP has several advantages over a 30-day card.

First, as jdiddy said, you can put your monthly pass on the CCP. You can always change your mind and go back to pay-per-use.

Second, if you lose your CCP or it's stolen, CTA will freeze the card and issue a new card with your previous balance intact (less a $5 replacement fee). If you lose your 30-day transit card, I think you're SOL.

Third, if your employer offers transportation benefits (like WageWorks or something similar) you can have the monthly $75 pass cost (or whatever amount you choose) taken out of your paycheck pre-tax.

Fourth, if you set up your CCP as a monthly pass, you can still share the card with others in your traveling party for the normal $1.75 per ride cost (passback).

It's a pretty good system, especially if you plan to ride more often than twice a day.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:20 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
if you get the CC, be sure to protect it well or it will break at random.
I learned that lesson really quickly.

take care of it, baby it, and it will be nice to you.
if you just throw it in your back pocket or put it next to any sort of card it doesn't like, it will stop working.
it also does not like Chicago winters.

Also, regarding losing one, if you have it set to 30 day I don't think it will "recover" the days that you've lost it for. For example, if it reloads on the first of the month, and you lose it for 5 days in the middle of the month, it's going to reload 27 days after the first regardless. And you will lose it for a few days because apparently they have to send a new one in the mail? I don't think you can just pick up a new one at CTA HQ.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:41 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Just get a weekly pass every week. $20 a week.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:25 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
^ but isn't it cheaper to get a 30 day pass?

30 days for $75
28 days for $80

I just do the 30 day pass. I tried switching to just loading $75 on pay per use (my company puts $75 on the 1st of the month), and it would give me $82 loaded with the bonuses. I still spent more than $82 per month just using it to go to work and back and then wandering around after work or weekends.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:43 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
If the 7 day or 30 day is lost or stolen you are not covered and I would rather lose 20 bucks than 75.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:51 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
If the 7 day or 30 day is lost or stolen you are not covered and I would rather lose 20 bucks than 75.
If you have the chicago card, you can just call the CTA and transfer the balance to the new card they mail you, which comes pretty quickly. Mine came in 3 days last year when I lost my wallet on a CTA bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago