Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 10:13 AM

596 posts, read 821,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
That's not the question I was answering. You asked...

Chicago sports are exciting to attend, it's an entertainment industry at heart, but not necessarily any better than other towns. Having 2 MLB teams, 1 NHL, 1 NBA, 1 NFL and 1 MLS is nice to have.
Ok, then here's the question I meant to ask. What's different from being a great sports town and a city that has a couple of sports teams that's is not necessarily seen as a sports town? What makes a city great as far as being a sports town? Los Angeles has as many sports teams as Chicago, except for football, but is not seen as a sports town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 10:19 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,168,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
Ok, then here's the question I meant to ask. What's different from being a great sports town and a city that has a couple of sports teams that's is not necessarily seen as a sports town? What makes a city great as far as being a sports town? Los Angeles has as many sports teams as Chicago, except for football, but is not seen as a sports town.

More sports to watch and attend? More fans? It's not that sports are the only thing in Chicago's list of good things, only a part of a larger tapestry of great things here.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:51 PM

741 posts, read 764,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
Chicago sports are exciting to attend, it's an entertainment industry at heart, but not necessarily any better than other towns. Having 2 MLB teams, 1 NHL, 1 NBA, 1 NFL and 1 MLS is nice to have.
And then ... there are the college sports. College Alum are fierce supporters of their teams and during the football and basketball seasons ... interest in the college sports is about as high as for the pro sports. Northwestern, Notre Dame (as much of a "Chicago" school as there is ... but not really here), Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa ... and others.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:35 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
And then ... there are the college sports. College Alum are fierce supporters of their teams and during the football and basketball seasons ... interest in the college sports is about as high as for the pro sports. Northwestern, Notre Dame (as much of a "Chicago" school as there is ... but not really here), Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa ... and others.
tend to disagree, Longford, I think in football Northwestern and Illinois are every bit as much a Chicago school as Notre Dame is.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:33 PM

409 posts, read 588,083 times
To me, the college sports fanatic crowd is a negative, but to each their own. The Big 10 college football bros crowd is really kind of a niche thing, and very localized in a few neighborhoods.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:56 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
Can someone tell me why it's a pro to be a great sports town. Is it because there's comradery amongst the fans? I'm not being sarcastic, just would like to know how "being big on sports" adds to the quality of life of a city.
Its a pro to those who loves sports and the camradery amongst it. And to some of that crowd they may not even be able to understand why someone (particularly guys) aren't into sports. To them, it automatically adds to the quality of life because thats what they like. And while Chicago has something for everyone, compared to some of its coastal rivals, the somewhat universal sports comradery contributes to the quality of those who love sports, and is neutral, and even a demerit/strike against for those who don't care about sports.

Its similar to those who are outdoor enthusiasts. To outdoor enthusiasts, the variety of scenic wildlands and milder weather with hiking trails, camping area, etc. in close proximity provides a higher quality of life to those who love the outdoors, and more neutral to those who don't care about it as much.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:17 PM

16 posts, read 21,258 times
Are chicago sports fans people who live in chicago? What I'm getting at is sports fans in Minnesota are primarily from the suburbs and out state. Post game at here is always a huge mess of suburban bound traffic. New York football fans are so suburban the football stadium is in New Jersey. I'm gonna guess that a big percentage of packers fans who go to the games are actually from Green Bay. Where does Chicago fit on that spectrum? I get the feeling there are actually a lot of sports fans from the city itself.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:26 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I agree - all my Asian friends have said this, though there are places in town to get some legitimately good Asian food, again according to my friends who grew up in Asia. I agree that the West Coast does it better on average though, but I think Chicago has gotten better with it.
I've always assumed that Chicago had good Indian food though.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,066 times
Dab

Old 02-27-2017, 08:08 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
Cons:
-In some areas Chicago can be dangerous - but what city of 3 million isn't?
-Weather is pretty awful. On the plus side you get 4 seasons, but winter tends to be 5-6 months, with fall and spring being one month. Summers are usually beautiful but some, like this one in particular, can be too rainy for my tastes.
Winter is not 5-6 months. We have winter-like weather usually from late November through early March, so maybe 4.5 months, tops. Recently about half of the winters have been unusually mild, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago