Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 01:48 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,617,107 times

Advertisements

Lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 01:50 PM

403 posts, read 929,810 times
I really like that about some of the Chicago neighborhoods...my sister lived in Lincoln Park at one time (about 5 years or so ago). I was walking around that area on a recent visit, and noticed how quiet the side streets were when you got off the main thoroughfares...yet you have tons to do w/in an easy walk. Lincoln Park looked pretty young, so I'm probably looking for something that skews a little bit older and a little grit is a good thing to me. What's the typical age in this six corners area...would I be out of place? Early 30's here.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:54 PM

142 posts, read 427,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightransplant View Post
would I be out of place? Early 30's here.
Not at all. My friend is a live-in nanny/chauffeur for a couple in their early to mid 30s, and they have lots of neighborhood friends that are the same age. My personal impression was always that of a younger scene, but that's probably because I'm younger.

Bottom line, just dress like a hipster and you're set.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:55 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,089 times
Quote:
I really like that about some of the Chicago neighborhoods...my sister lived in Lincoln Park at one time (about 5 years or so ago). I was walking around that area on a recent visit, and noticed how quiet the side streets were when you got off the main thoroughfares...yet you have tons to do w/in an easy walk. Lincoln Park looked pretty young, so I'm probably looking for something that skews a little bit older and a little grit is a good thing to me. What's the typical age in this six corners area...would I be out of place? Early 30's here.
You wouldn't be out of place, per se. You'll find all ages there. However, I'd say the median age is as young as Lincoln Park. Lots of hip young kids to be found.

Lincoln Square and Andersonville have fairly similar feels, and are both a little more suited to the slightly older set. (I mean, I'm still in my mid-20s, and I still love Lincoln Square/Andersonville. It's not a old place, but it is a little older in its feel.)

The main streets to check out in LS and A-Ville are probably Lincoln in Lincoln Square (Especially from, say, Montrose to Lawrence) and Clark in A-Ville (From south of Foster up to maybe Bryn Mawr).

Old 08-27-2008, 02:28 PM

68 posts, read 259,328 times
Quote:
This board has been a great resource for learning more about Chicago. By reading through different threads, I've got some neighborhoods in mind that sound good to me... I've decided it's probably going to be Lincoln Square, West Loop, Andersonville, maybe Bucktown area. These neighborhoods sound different, but each seems to appeal to my tastes for different reasons. Are there any links you've seen that provide a visual for the "feel" of these neighborhoods. I like what I'm reading, but being able to see pics somewhere would help me imagine living there. Thanks.
Chicago Real Estate Search Engine | Chicago Real Estate Listings Online to Buy and Sell Chicago Homes, Condos, and Lofts | Dream Town Realty

I am also looking and found this link somewhere on this board and it has helped me tremendously! Click on Neighborhoods and then click on Photos or Videos and it shows so many photos and even describes the neighborhoods!

Hope this helps you as much as it helped me!

Old 08-27-2008, 02:34 PM

211 posts, read 947,575 times
I live in Bucktown and am in my 30's, husband in 40's. I think Wicker Park is a bit younger then Bucktown. Alot of families also in Bucktown while I would guess that Wicker Park has more singles. Pretty artsy seen there and alot of fun. Division is restaurant row for the area. Then we have Milwaukee and North Ave which have bars, restaurants, shopts, etc and Damen in Bucktown which is becoming more high end stores and boutiques. We also have a great art festival every year. Good luck with your move.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:45 PM

I would agree with others that the average age in Wicker Park appears to be mid- to late-ish 20s, but on my block alone there are plenty of folks in their 30s, several in their 40s and one couple that must be in their 60s, so the age range is pretty broad.

Bucktown seems to have more single family homes, which tends to skew the population a little older (and you see more strollers and pregnant women)

Old 08-27-2008, 02:55 PM

403 posts, read 929,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
You wouldn't be out of place, per se. You'll find all ages there. However, I'd say the median age is as young as Lincoln Park. Lots of hip young kids to be found.

Lincoln Square and Andersonville have fairly similar feels, and are both a little more suited to the slightly older set. (I mean, I'm still in my mid-20s, and I still love Lincoln Square/Andersonville. It's not a old place, but it is a little older in its feel.)

The main streets to check out in LS and A-Ville are probably Lincoln in Lincoln Square (Especially from, say, Montrose to Lawrence) and Clark in A-Ville (From south of Foster up to maybe Bryn Mawr).

Google gold, my friend! I checked out those areas, and both appear very nice. I see Andersonville has Ann Sather, which is a major plus. I have a feeling either of those two areas would appeal to my wife.

Thanks to all for the Bucktown/Wicker Park comments. Yeah, I'm 32 now, and still consider myself young (at least in spirit!)...still struggling with the "aging out" of certain neighborhoods. Like some of you mentioned, it sounds diversified enough that it wouldn't be too big of a deal. I appreciate the input--Bucktown sounds great, and I'll consider these other options as well.

I guess the best descripton of what we are looking for is that "in between" neighborhood. Nothing too young, but still something that's fun, exciting and interesting. Chicago looks wonderful...can't wait!

Old 08-27-2008, 02:57 PM

142 posts, read 427,210 times
Andersonville is great. You've maybe heard of it already, but Hopleaf Bar is considered one of the best bars in Chicago. Good food, GREAT beer selection, friendly staff. I also enjoy Sushi Luxe, which is a few doors down. That whole Clark St. corridor is very fun, even for me at 25.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:07 PM

If I didn't have to commute out to the southwestern suburbs (making Northside living all but impossible) I too would look closely at Andersonville - it's a very cute area.

I adore Wicker Park and it's access to the loop. there's only one thing in my mind it lacks: quick access to the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: