Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 12:36 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times

Advertisements

I used to live on the park, but we had a garage spot. Our guests always had trouble parking, however. Car break-ins are very common there too. To me it seems a lot easier to park in southern and western Wicker Park--away from the six corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 01:52 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Speaking of car break ins ... came outside two mornings ago and our neighbor's mini cooper was up on milk crates

This morning, the driver's side window to our car had snow wiped off it -- someone was looking in our window last night. Guess they didn't see anything they liked though because our stuff wasn't touched.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:08 PM

5 posts, read 11,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Speaking of car break ins ... came outside two mornings ago and our neighbor's mini cooper was up on milk crates

This morning, the driver's side window to our car had snow wiped off it -- someone was looking in our window last night. Guess they didn't see anything they liked though because our stuff wasn't touched.
What part of Wicker Park you in? South central?

(No, seriously, what part? )

Old 12-10-2008, 11:30 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
No he didn't get lucky. It's like that almost all of the time.
It is really? Even on Friday and Saturday nights? I find that very hard to believe.

I have never seen parking next to Wicker Park very easy almost all of the time on a regular basis ever-even when Wicker Park was a total crap hole.

Weird.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:20 AM

By the way, I'm shocked that King's X is still together. I have a faint memory of an old MTV video featuring a guy with a huge mohawk...

Old 12-11-2008, 08:24 AM

569 posts, read 1,820,134 times
Quote:

That's the way you have to do it. Never keep anything of value out in the open, ever, if you street park.

Neato!

EDIT: It's fairly common to see broken glass on the ground every few weeks in my neck of the woods.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:20 AM

Avenger, Friday and Saturdays are an entirely different story, but Sunday through Thursday it's very easy to park near 6 corners. A coworker is a regular at a bar right there and I always offer him one of my guest passes for my street and he never has needed it.

Banana, I live pretty much on six corners. North of North, east of Damen.

Sharky, We were talking to a neighbor of ours who has lived on our street for 6 years and he said that car break ins have been surprisingly rare on our block-- said he hasn't seen one in a couple of years.

There are, however, a couple of new construction condos that have been broken into on occasion. Seems to be the more organized crooks that hit our block as opposed to the smash and grab folks.

You live a little farther east yes? I remember you mentioned a while back the sketch factor right near that Citgo.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:25 AM

I lived near the dog area at the southern tip of the park, and it seemed like it was almost every day that I would see a new pile of broken car window glass along Wicker Park Avenue on my way to the Blue Line. Good times.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:31 AM

That would have been monumentally frustrating -- guess it's a damn good thing you had a garage. how long has it been since you guys lived there? I know you've said it before, but I don't remember...

Old 12-11-2008, 10:29 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
I used to park in that area a lot and was never broken into. I think the break ins have a lot to do with people from out of town leaving stuff out and visible in their car.

I see a lot of break ins around my house when there is a show at the Congress Theater. I have a friend who lives by the Riviera and sees the same thing. Some nights I walk by cars that I know are bound to be broken into - i.e. don't leave things like a carton of smokes, cordless drill and toolkit, iPod, etc. on your seat and you'll probably be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: