Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 08:45 AM

5 posts, read 15,685 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I live in downtown chicago and my new job is in skokie. I am not sure how to commute to skokie. Here are my options:

1) Is it a better idea to buy a car and drive to Skokie? I am assuming that traffic would be ok. (Distance is 14 miles)
Would driving be safe in this weather? I am a new driver.
2) Should I move to Skokie? Just wanted to mention that my husband works in downtown chicago and then it would be a commute for him.
3) Should I use public transport?
4) Can I use carpool? Is it safe? I could not find any carpool service from downtown to skokie though.

I would really appreciate if you can help me.

Last edited by travel077; 12-16-2008 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 09:03 AM

732 posts, read 2,980,620 times
Where in Skokie are you working? The Yellow Line CTA goes from Rogers Park to Skokie (Dempster & Bronx Ave) so you could ride the Red Line north in the morning and transfer at Howard. There are also several Pace buses that run from Howard to Skokie.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:08 AM

I would be working at 4216 Main st, Skokie, 60076. We are living in chicago, 60661

Old 12-16-2008, 09:12 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Skokie covers a large area. If your new job is close to public transportation that might be an option.

If that won't work I would try and track down a WORK BASED carpool situation, some larger employers have that sort of thing in place. Much more reliable and less risk than some random thing...

Financially you can get a very inexpensive car right now. Traffic to parts of Skokie is not too bad -- the Edens improvements went very smoothly and that corridor is much upgraded. Driving a cheap car would almost certainly be better than trying to sell a place in the City and then scrambling to find a place in Skokie -- unless your long term desire is to move to Skokie, in which case you would NEED a car in most parts of that town anyhow...

Old 12-16-2008, 09:20 AM

I was hoping for a public transportation, but then it would require me to walk for 16 minutes (Metra, CTA BUS, Wallk-16 min) and the overall time is approx 1 hour 15 min.
Also we are new to Chicago and have no clue if it would be safe to walk in evening for that long.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:34 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
You should not have too trouble walking in the downtown area or in Skokie.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:48 AM

Thanks. Some more detailed input (among the options I have) would really be admired.

Do you think I should take out the possibility of moving to Skokie?
Do you think buying an inexpensive car and driving to Skokie would be a better choice than relying on public transport?

Old 12-16-2008, 10:38 AM

818 posts, read 2,170,904 times
I think the driving option depends at least partially on your work schedule. Would you be traveling too and from work at the time of day when traffic is usually at its worst (9-5)? If you are able to work a slightly earlier schedule (7-3) you will encounter a lot less traffic driving there.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:17 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
The CTA 54A bus will take you from Yellow line station at Dempster street to Skokie BLvd and Main St. You do have a long 12 block walk to get to 4216 Main St. from there. It may be shorter to take the 97 bus from the Dempster St. station and walk the 4 blocks north from Oakton St. to Main St. Another alternative I found on the RTA web site is to take a Pace bus from the Howard St. Station which will stop at Crawford and Main St. This will be 4 block walk & your walking the short end of the blocks versus walking a regular 4 long blocks from Oakton St. If you do not mind walking and can handle the weather, try commuting first before moving. It's cheaper. Or you may drive during really inclement weather and find the walk nice during good weather. The neighborhoods you're walking through are safe, residential neighborhoods. Time wise & frequency of service, I think the Yellow Line to Dempster and the 97 bus to Oakton and Keeler is quickest commute. Taking the bus from Howard St. station as a kid always seemed really slow. If you try it, please let us know how it works out.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:22 PM

Thanks a lot cubssoxfan and others. I got really helpful information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: