Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:14 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times

Advertisements

Yikes, two December rush hour snow storms in one week! Since I'm on daycare pickup today, I think I'll leave the office after lunch so I can get home for dinner.

In all honesty, this one looks like we'll get the brunt of it AFTER rush hour, but I'm still a bit shaken from Tuesday. While my commute wasn't bad, it took my wife 1.5 hours to get from the Loop to Lakeview in our car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 08:18 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
I don't think there's going to be much of anything before 6-ish.

Tomorrow morning? Now that's a whole 'nother story.

Looks like we're gonna get right at a foot. Experimental Total Snow Amount forecast image

Old 12-18-2008, 08:18 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,635,451 times
Luckily I take Metra, which is usually pretty reliable in these situations. The only bit of difficulty is getting from my office in river north to union station. I typically take a shuttle, but during snowstorms I can typically walk faster than traffic, so I may wind up doing that.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:23 AM

109 posts, read 281,258 times
I will still take the Red Line as usual up to Bryn Mawr but what worries me is I have to go to Midway Saturday morning to fly to Nashville to see family for Christmas. It said they only plan on getting a few inches on the South Side so hopefully the snow we already got and the planned snow will not cause too much of a hassle. I don't mind waiting in an airport though... gives me time to read the paper, a book, play on the laptop or some weird little game I download on my phone... I don't want to wait for 6 hours either. Midway has always been a great choice for me, even in winter. Hopefully that will be the case this time.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:30 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,751,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I don't think there's going to be much of anything before 6-ish.

Tomorrow morning? Now that's a whole 'nother story.

Looks like we're gonna get right at a foot. Experimental Total Snow Amount forecast image
That's a neat tool. Looks like right now its tracking for south Cook Co to get 10-11 inches, but of course the storm could veer north a little and we'd get sleet. Gee, I don't know which to hope for...just not ice, *please*.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:35 AM

Bloomington is going to get a half inch of ice! That was almost us!!!!

Old 12-18-2008, 08:37 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
I wonder how reliable the tool is? It centers the highest snowfall on ORD, that seems odd in the extreme...

Old 12-18-2008, 08:48 AM

It's been my go-to for every storm for a while.

NOAA doesn't f around -- they're for serious!

Old 12-18-2008, 08:52 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
I'm going to get out of here early and work from home in the afternoon. I don't want to face any 40 minute bus rides.

Any bets on when the first city/suburb will have used all their salt for the season?

Old 12-18-2008, 08:53 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,990 times
Default General rule

Here is a general rule and I'm not the only one that is thinking this apparently as I have made a new discovery that many others are starting to realize that storms for whatever reason, head right for the Chicago area and then at the last second, either fizzle out to nothing or shoot right off to our north and bomb the northern suburbs.

Example: 12/16's storm was originally supposed to bomb the southern burbs with snow and I knew all along that the "Orland Park bubble" would protect us once again and sure enough it came through for us as always causing the storm to head right for the southern burbs and then at the last second, slide north and basically completely stop snowing from 159th Street south after about 630 PM, while it kept snowing north of 143rd Street for about another 4 hours.

This has to do with how storms fizzle out or dodge the southern burbs regularly. (Watch these, this is of a line of severe storms over the summer and this played out time and time again all summer long with the exception of the first week of August during one storm...
YouTube - Orland Park Force Field &
YouTube - Orland Park Force Field )

Anyways... 12/16; Downers Grove ended up with some 5-6 inches os snow once again as it did the first week of Dec... Oak Brook about 5", O'Hare 5", Midway even about 3", Orland and Tinley Park...1-2" and areas like Chicago Heights, Steger, Beecher, Hammond... pretty much nothing... Just a dusting. There is something about the southern burbs with how the forest preserves are so large right off to their north separating them (the southern burbs) from the rest of the city/metro area and having Joliet which is now a fairly large city sitting right off to their (Orland Park area) west that causes storms to avoid this area like the plague or hold temps just warm enough to cause what would be a snowstorm... a freezing rain or plain old rain storm.

I don't see this storm doing anything different. Areas from about Archer Ave and north and west look out, you will get a healthy dumping of snow and due to the upper level temperatures being higher than they are down on the ground, it will not be a nice fluffy snow as someone said, it will still be a wet heavy snow. Areas to the south-east of Archer Ave be prepared for a mix bag of slop, and areas south of Frankfort, Manhattan, and Beecher prepare for a ton of ice.

Last edited by NYrules; 12-18-2008 at 09:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago