Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 01:40 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,823,218 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Jacksonville, FL, where my girlfriend and I are attending college. I am getting increasingly bored with the south, especially Jacksonville, as there is nothing to do here. I lived in Chicago (Glenview, actually) when my father was still in the Navy, and loved going downtown. Chicago is the most entertaining city I've ever been to, and I've moved around a lot. Living in the south, I really miss going to the Taste every year, along with the blues festival, Cubs games, and all the other things a larger city has to offer. My girlfriend has always wanted to move to a bigger city and we've been talking about moving to Chicago once we have both graduated from school. I am more inclined to live downtown, which is more expensive but would suit our tastes a bit better. I've been looking into condos in the West/South Loop, and also areas near Lincoln Park. This won't be actually happening for a few more years so I have plenty of time to research, but was wondering what a good area of downtown to move to would suit a few fresh college graduates. I'd probably be looking to spend around $300-350K on a condo. I've been reading up on the better areas of town but would like to hear some thoughts from some actual Chicagoians.

TIA,
Kevin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 01:24 PM

20 posts, read 45,091 times
I would recommend renting a nice apartment in an area you are interested in before dropping 300-350k on a condo. I'm researching moving to the city as well, but plan on renting to make sure the area is what I expect before looking at buying anything. Just an idea....

Old 01-10-2009, 09:23 PM

161 posts, read 411,788 times
Default Interesting

350k is a lot of money! How did you save that up while in college, and congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
I'm currently living in Jacksonville, FL, where my girlfriend and I are attending college. I am getting increasingly bored with the south, especially Jacksonville, as there is nothing to do here. I lived in Chicago (Glenview, actually) when my father was still in the Navy, and loved going downtown. Chicago is the most entertaining city I've ever been to, and I've moved around a lot. Living in the south, I really miss going to the Taste every year, along with the blues festival, Cubs games, and all the other things a larger city has to offer. My girlfriend has always wanted to move to a bigger city and we've been talking about moving to Chicago once we have both graduated from school. I am more inclined to live downtown, which is more expensive but would suit our tastes a bit better. I've been looking into condos in the West/South Loop, and also areas near Lincoln Park. This won't be actually happening for a few more years so I have plenty of time to research, but was wondering what a good area of downtown to move to would suit a few fresh college graduates. I'd probably be looking to spend around $300-350K on a condo. I've been reading up on the better areas of town but would like to hear some thoughts from some actual Chicagoians.

TIA,
Kevin

Old 01-10-2009, 11:18 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,741,337 times
I think there are plenty of over-priced condos in the loop AND LP that a developer would just LOVE to unload on someone who doesn't know the city and is looking for something that "suits their tastes."

In all honesty though, you may find the loop area to be a little dead if you are looking for nightlife. It has gotten better recently, but there isn't nearly as much of a nightlife scene there as there is a little ways north. But if you aren't into nightlife you may like it; there are a lot of upscale restaurants and you would be close to Michigan Ave. Also, during business times the Loop is extraordinarily crowded with workers heading to/from work and to lunch; I think it would be quite inconvenient to live there. I would choose South Loop over the Loop.

Also, have you considered River North? It has more nightlife, more young people, and some great condos that have gone up. If you have cash to burn and want to live that lifestyle, the East Bank Club is also right there.

I second the other reply that you should rent first for a year. The experience of living in Chicago is different on a block-by-block, building-by-building basis, until you live there it's difficult to tell where the best fit is. Trust me, I rented an apartment in what I thought was an excellent location but due to a few circumstances that I won't go in to it was one of the most obnoxious blocks in the neighborhood.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:44 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times
How many bedrooms do you want in that condo for that price?

Old 01-11-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
How many bedrooms do you want in that condo for that price?
just 1 br, 1.5 bath. Something fairly simple for a young couple. Maybe 2 br if the price is right. I'm just looking for something in a nice building in a nice part of town. Nothing too fancy.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:12 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times
Then I would look in Wicker Park and Lakeview specifically. Good young, neighborhoods. You can get a 1 bed for that, probably not a 2... well maybe

Old 01-11-2009, 04:48 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,867,648 times
I'm amazed that you can spend up to $350k on a condo while still in college!

Old 01-11-2009, 04:56 PM

838 posts, read 3,097,587 times
my roommate 10 yrs ago purchased 4 condos in my building while in college

Old 01-11-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
I'm amazed that you can spend up to $350k on a condo while still in college!
lol, not while still in college. Once I graduate I'm going to rent a place up there until I get my career going, then buy a place. Everyone seems to think I just have a few hundred thousand dollars lying around, I wish...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: