Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 10:09 AM

6 posts, read 28,299 times

Advertisements

Ive lived in Vermont my whole life and as much as I like it here Im starting to get bored with it. After I graduate from college I want to move to a new city. The two Im thinking of are chicago or Washington, dc. Ive always bee fascinated by chicago because it seems like a nice city because of the lake and just from reading about it it seems like it would be a less stressful big city than other places. I have aslo been reading about Washington,dc and Ive liked what Ive read also. I think washington would be a nice and unique place to live becasuse it dosent have a downtown filled with skyscrapers like every big city in america. When I graduate I would like to find work in an art museum or in a community college as an art teacher. So whats really important to me is cultural Diversity and Education. Im also very concerned about crime rates as im from a very rual state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 10:39 AM

414 posts, read 884,817 times
Either choice of city would be a fine one. Your personal preferences would be the greatest determining factors. D.C. tends to have better services because it usually gets first dibs on funding due to it having to maintain a certain status quo.

If I were you I would visit both cities and try to consider all the things that interest or bother you.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:58 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
I agree it is a bit of a toss up, but if you have family in New England, you may want to consider DC due to proximity. However, Southwest has a great Midway to Manchester, NH flight that is usually pretty inexpensive.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:14 AM

3 posts, read 7,805 times
Default Chicago native for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonG View Post
Ive lived in Vermont my whole life and as much as I like it here Im starting to get bored with it. After I graduate from college I want to move to a new city. The two Im thinking of are chicago or Washington, dc. Ive always bee fascinated by chicago because it seems like a nice city because of the lake and just from reading about it it seems like it would be a less stressful big city than other places. I have aslo been reading about Washington,dc and Ive liked what Ive read also. I think washington would be a nice and unique place to live becasuse it dosent have a downtown filled with skyscrapers like every big city in america. When I graduate I would like to find work in an art museum or in a community college as an art teacher. So whats really important to me is cultural Diversity and Education. Im also very concerned about crime rates as im from a very rual state.

Hello,

I, see the delima that your in so allow me to ease your mind.....................Don't, believe everything you hear and see....

There, are some pro's and con's to both trust me and it also depends on what part of Chicago you want to live in too. For example, I'm a artists but I of course don't have trump tower money so if your looking to enhance those skills then find a place affordable for your budget (oak park, Evergreen park,) or just commute down town using our public transportation system. Are you a student?

We've, got a entire spectrim of educational institues that may assist you with your living arrangments either on campus or off. Look, for discounts too on everything trucks, boxes, packing supplies,. However, if you want that historic (walking in Historic steps) then I would recommend Washington D.C. our Nations Capital! However, proceed with caution (I, was working in the telemarketing field and had got a call from a military person who was complaining about the cost of living in Washington D.C.)So, hey if a person that's getting assitance for housing with the government then how much more would it be on you financially without that extra help.

Now, don't get it twisted Chicago has so much to offer in entertainment, dinning, shopping and raising a family. However, you must check your own budget.
GO WEB HUNTING and look or take a trip to both places doing some sight seeing just to compare the two............................................... .Yes, I'm bias we have the best pizza on the planet
Don't let NEW YORK FOOL YOU!
HOME OF JORDAN AND OPRAH need I say more???????????????

Old 02-05-2009, 12:39 PM

968 posts, read 2,666,783 times
Let's see.. there are lots of pluses and minuses.. a quick IMHO ...

1.) DC Summers Hot and Muggy , Chicago wins
2.) Chicago Winters longer, colder and darker than DC
3.) Chicago Lake, DC Ocean 2 -4 hours away (depends on Bay Bridge Traffic) DC close to appalachian and blue ridge..Chicago close to Mt. Trashmore and Wilmot
4.) Food ..no contest , sorry Chicago wins here ..larger spectrum and range
5.) ambience/Architecture/Cityscape Tied ..DC more 'monumental' , Chicago more eclectic..interesting in both places..in some sense both are 'planned' cities
6.) Traffic ...abysmal in both places
7.) Public Tran ..good in both places..slight edge to Chi because, well, I live here
8.) Demographics ..both have a large cohort of young,educated population. Chicago a bit more diverse in economic and age
9.) Crime scary parts in both cities, but both have large areas that are considered 'safe' w/common sense
10.) Nightlife ..don't know anymore..morphing into an old fart . See '8' above re young college grad demographic
11.) Cost of Living ... neither cheap, but more opportunties for thriftiness in Chi

again, just opinions based on personal experience and reasonably decent sources .. feel free to add, disagree, or ..

Old 02-05-2009, 12:45 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,073,582 times
Obama decided to move to DC, I guess he got fed up with Chicago.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:49 PM

526 posts, read 1,058,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Obama decided to move to DC, I guess he got fed up with Chicago.
OH COME ON.
what president in history stayed in their hometown?
moronic comments like that deserve a beat down.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:53 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,073,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justalicious6989 View Post
OH COME ON.
what president in history stayed in their hometown?
moronic comments like that deserve a beat down.
"Moronic people" who take them comments 'literally', deserve one too!

Old 02-05-2009, 12:54 PM

414 posts, read 884,817 times
Calm down justalicious6989...it was obviously a joke

Old 02-05-2009, 02:06 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,804,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonG View Post

Both have cultural diversity, education and high crime. You'll need to expand on your interests and needs to narrow it down more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: